IGNORED

Atari XM301

I remember a hack I used to use to get my XM301 working while my disk drive was in the shop...

The Atari 1030 modem is just like an XM301, except that it can be booted from like an 850. It loads a terminal program if you boot with the 1030 but no disk drives...

I had a broken 1030 (lightning damage; would boot, but wouldn't actually take the phone off the hook), so I used to boot up with the 1030 attached, wait for its built-in terminal program to load, then unplug it and plug in the XM301.

It worked surprisingly well...

The XM301 is a repackaged 1030 Modem, in fact the original specifications listed it as the 1030P (portable perhaps, I'm not sure) but any s/w for the 1030 will work on the XM301.

You can use it on any 8Bit system except the 1200XL (unless you restore the 12vdc line back onto the SIO connector)

Curt

The XM301 is a repackaged 1030 Modem, in fact the original specifications listed it as the 1030P (portable perhaps, I'm not sure) but any s/w for the 1030 will work on the XM301.

You can use it on any 8Bit system except the 1200XL (unless you restore the 12vdc line back onto the SIO connector)

Curt

I think I did some time back to my 1200XL the XC12 tape drive works with my 1200XL.

Too bad the XM301 didn't have the 1030's built-in bootable terminal program... guess by then, there weren't too many non-disk-drive-owning Atari users?