IGNORED

NES High Score Club 2nd Season Week #9 - Super Mario Bros.

vdub_bobby

A plumber's work is never done! Pauline is safe, now rescue the Princess - it's time for Super Mario Bros.!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

Notes: No turtle-trapping! Follow the TwinGalaxies link for an explanation (they call it The Turtle Stair Hop trick).

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (May 8) morning at approximately 8:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

859,350 bust3dstr8 (+10 pts)

850,650 kevincal (+8 pts +1 pt for best tip)

736,550 vdub_bobby (+6 pts)

467,700 MetalSlime23 (+4 pts)

427,050 gdement (+2 pts)

346,250 LarcenTyler (+1 pt)

335,850 8th lutz (+1 pt)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

1,044,950 Brian P Sulpher

570,150 Jon Taber

294,200 Mr. Kelly R Flewin

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (44 pts)

1. vdub_bobby (44 pts)

3. bust3dstr8 (39 pts)

4. gdement (29 pts)

5. LarcenTyler (27 pts)

6. MetalSlime23 (21 pts)

7. 8th lutz (16 pts)

8. duncantoml (10 pts)

9. Slayer (8 pts)

10. Bucket (7 pts)

11. Jibbajaba (6 pts)

12. Cybergoth (2 pts)

Game Info

Developed by Nintendo in 1985.

Other platforms: GBA, Wii

Sequels/spinoffs: Endless, really. A few high points: Donkey Kong (Arcade, 1981, many home platforms). Mario Bros. (Arcade, 1983 and many home platforms). Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES, 1988). Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES, GBA, 1988). Super Mario Land (Gameboy, 1989), Super Mario World (SNES, 1990), Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996). Etc., etc., etc.

Tips

You can watch a guy beat it really really fast here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario1.html

kevincal

I broke A LOT of bricks and tried to get all of the power ups and coins I could. Tried to get through levels quickly to get time points...etc. I also tried to combo-hop enemies as much as possible to rack up points

Another good tip to get more points is to make sure you are Fire Mario when you reach Bowser on the last stage of each level. Then shoot him with your fireballs and you get big points for killing him that way. If you just run or jump over him, you won't get any points.

Edited by vdub_bobby

I'm glad that this game got picked. I never really played it to try and get a high score, so that will make it interesting. And I think that playing the SMB All*Stars version is different because the physics are not quite the same.

Chris

Heh, found the SMB/Duck Hunt cart at a thrift last wkend, mainly for Duck Hunt, didnt think I'd play SMB. Now I have a reason. :)

BTW-SM All Stars is SNES, collection of 4(?) of the NES SMB games, dolled up 16-bit style. Different thrift today wanted mucho $$$ for it.

Edited by RJ

As for tips...I broke A LOT of bricks and tried to get all of the power ups and coins I could. Tried to get through levels quickly to get time points...etc. I also tried to combo-hop enemies as much as possible to rack up points...No turtle hopping though. :) I never could figure out how to do that anyway! :P

I know I can do better, I just need practice.

I still remember the Christmas of 1987 when I got this game, and my friend down the street told me about the continue code. I was so happy.

In 1988, when I had the chicken pox, a friend of my stepfather's showed me the turtle trick, and I was finally able to beat Bowser! XD

Another good tip to get more points is to make sure you are Fire Mario when you reach Bowser on the last stage of each level. Then shoot him with your fireballs and you get big points for killing him that way. If you just run or jump over him, you won't get any points. :)

I am assuming that the combination carts with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt are OK? (Or the three-way ones that include World Class Track Meet,) since it's pretty much the same game. I can't find my original SMB cartridge!

(Man I should've picked em up by the bundle when they were selling for a penny at Funco Land!)

I am assuming that the combination carts with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt are OK? (Or the three-way ones that include World Class Track Meet,) since it's pretty much the same game. I can't find my original SMB cartridge!

(Man I should've picked em up by the bundle when they were selling for a penny at Funco Land!)

As far as I know, it is the exact same code. The cart just has two games on it. The All*Stars version is a rebuilt version of the game, I believe based on the SMW engine, so the game plays quite differently despite having the same layout.

Chris