IGNORED

Need help finding pre-1985 platform game (limited info)

I have identified every single Atari game I ever played except one. This is a tricky one because I don't remember many details.

I saw this game in Canada in early 1985, so it was probably made in the US in 1984 or earlier. It was a commercial game on disk (probably pirated) and ran on the 800XL. I vaguely remember the main character was sort of a "bubble-headed" thing with a blocky body - like a circle on top of a square (size was slightly smaller than the Miner 2049er character). I can't remember what the goal was, but I remember the screen flashed (colour cycling of current screen, not new screen) when the mission was completed. New mission was a different screen.

Does anybody have any ideas? I know it's not much to go on.

Hmm, look here: http://ekranownia.atari8.info/ - maybe you find this. This is a web page with only atari games screenshots.

Thanks, but I think I need more than just a screenshot to help me find it. I was hoping somebody would remember the screen flashing at completion of each screen.

@Rybags

I can't even find a screenshot of Whirlynurd. There are plenty of hits in Google, but they're all those annoying "fake hits". I've visited about 30 sites that claim to have "Whirlynurd cheats, info, screenshots", then when I get there, it says "game not found" or "become a member to view this game" (...and I bet if I became a member, it would say "game not found"!). Those crap sites are the curse of the internet!

Have you got a link?

Nope, it's not Whirlynurd and it's certainly not Boulderdash or Spelunker. Spelunker does have flashing, but as I said, the flashing is on the actual play screen, not a title or text screen. The character does look a bit like the one in "Journey to the planets", but with shorter legs and longer "torso".

Yeah, I forgot all about atarimania.com for some reason. I just found that site a few weeks ago. It's a great site. :) (...except I have to disable custom colours in my browser because background is black and so is some text)

Thanks for the help guys and keep those suggestions coming. :)

No, it's definitely not Montezuma's Revenge. That's my all-time favourite 8-bit platformer, so I certainly remember that one.

I think I already checked out Mr. Robot, but I'll check it again.

Edit: No, it's definitely not Mr. Robot.

It might not be a "pure" platform game. I don't know if the character had to stand on platforms. For some reason I have a vague idea that it's something like Cloak & Dagger in the movie, where the character can move anywhere on the screen. Maybe my memory is screwed up. I don't think so though because I found a couple other obscure games like Zwark and Sinistar with extremely limited information. This is the last one I have to find and it's driving me crazy.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

Crumble crisis?

Domain of undead?

Drol ?

Polar Pierre ?

Bristles ?

Captain cosmo ?

Countdown ?

Crumble's Crisis and Domain of the Undead are 1986 and UK. It's not Drol, Polar Pierre, Bristles, Captain Cosmo or Countdown. (all those games have screen flashing?)

It's not Biffdrop, Gateway to Apshai or Caverns of Khafka.

Hey, are you REALLY sure that it wasn't some AMIGA game?

My memory is not that bad. Even if I was semi-insane (...and now that I think of it, I might be...) I still own all the Amiga games I ever played so it's not possible to forget them. ;)

That's it! It was BASIC! The character was the cursor and the flashing was when I turned off the computer. :o (uh...now I just need to remember if it was standard BASIC or BASIC XL.)

No, I still can't find it. I think I'll give up now before somebody suggests that the game I remember wasn't actually an Atari game, but drug-induced hallucination of a big-headed midget jumping around with a flashlight.