IGNORED

Arcade to 2600 Comparisons!

Gregory DG

Based on the 2600's limitations...pretty well. However, the main issue should be gameplay (not GFX). If you don't capture the essence of that, you don't capture much of anything.

BTW you compared arcade Super Breakout to Atari's standard version.

I have to agree with Nukey Shay. Given the technical limitations of the Atari 2600 versus the arcade counterparts, Atari did a great job converting them over (of course, there are notable exceptions to this). Gameplay is the thing, not the graphics overall. I realize Ms. Pac Man is not really that close to it's arcade counterpart, but the gameplay keeps me coming back for more.

I have bought over the years a few arcade compilations for my PC that emulates almost exactly how the arcade counterparts are. However, I still play them on the Atari 2600. Graphics are never all that there is to a game.

Steve

Here's the Arcade to 2600 comparisons A to H. How do you think the 2600 did? :)

That's very cool. I love looking comparing different versions of games. I frequently peruse the screenshots of games for all the different systems on Moby Games.

For a few of those that you've listed in your comparisons I don't remember the original arcade game. Seeing those old black & white ones brings back some warm nostalgic memories.

I also agree that, considering the VCS's limitations, most of the arcade ports were pretty good.

I look forward to seeing games I - Z. :cool:

I had no idea the Starpath version of Frogger was that much better than the PB version. I guess I never got to see a screenshot of it.

Dangit, now I need a boxed copy :) Yes, I know I can play it with my CD version but a game that good needs to be in the collection

:)

C

I got one Cassidy, just give me a boxed copy of Quadrun & Crazy Climber, then its yours!!!

:ponder: :P :P

:ponder: At the risk of sounding like an overstressed vinyl disc, I believe the allure of these games were the actual gameplay, not the graphics. Granted, I loved the heck out of the Activision games because they took a greater advantage of the system's abilities, but I still played Pac-Man to death regardless of the crappy port. All of the games you see today for the latest generations of game systems are graphics-intensive, giving you as close to 'real life' as you can get for a video game. Being able to see the scantily-clad heroine jiggle in her skin-tight outfit or swimsuit may be nice :P , but are you playing it for the game, or just to watch the characters?

I enjoy 'Blood Rayne' (the game, not the movie :lol: ), the 'Doom' series, the Star Trek SOS, and anything else with large explosions, but I always come back to Gyruss, Pitfall, and Circus Atari, among others. For its time, ATARI was a wonderful piece of futuristic technology, defining an era and a large chunk of my childhood.

. . . That, and, I really enjoyed watching my father marvel over the fact that there were no moving parts :lol:

Edited by Starhopper

I think the Atari 2600 did incredibly well in this department. I dont think that Pacman and Defender deserve the slating they get for Defender in particular was a hell of an achievement back then. Aside from Amidar and Super Cobra most arcade translations were pretty good ;)

What's wrong with Defender II?

It was originally called Stargate and later changed to Defender II. My page will go by the original title.

I realise that, but I was just wondering why Inky thinks Defender II is lame. :)

I realise that, but I was just wondering why Inky thinks Defender II is lame. :)

I think his complaint isn't that the game itself is lame, but rather that retitling StarGate as "Defender II" without changing the play mechanics was sorta lame. Can't say I disagree with that, but what was Atari supposed to do when it was ordered to stop selling carts under the name "StarGate"? It would have been nice if they'd released a 16K cart which could play either "regular" or "enhanced" Defender, but trying to add that sort of enhancement at that stage of the game would have left them for a month or two with nothing to ship.