IGNORED

Arcade to 2600 Comparisons!

Gregory DG

• 3 weeks later...

In defense of oohing and aawwing over the pretty colors, there'a story to be found within every screenshot, once you know a systems limitations, and what resources the programmers could call on.

We know gameplay is more important, but it's hard to contemplate any work of art when it is in the habit of killing you.

Let us have our pretty pictures. We'll come back to the games, eventually.

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a videogame is a conversation...

Edited by A Sprite

I do have some plans beyond these (IMO) cool comparison pages. Right now all these pages do is compare the arcade to an Atari console. My new page will allow you to compare any screenshot for any Atari system against any other Atari system. :D

• 1 month later...
Here's the Arcade to 2600 comparisons A to H. How do you think the 2600 did? :)

Nice job! Great to see those versions side by side. One of the things I do in my book, Classic Home Video Games 1972-1984, is to compare various console games to their arcade counterparts, and to the same game for other systems.

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

You know, I never saw screenshots of the original Seawolf arcade game or Seawolf II. The homebrew looks better than it's counterpart! Great job, Manuel!

Couldn't agree more with you on that one. The 2600 Homebrew is certainly superior looking. Mind you I wasn't aware that there had been an arcade version of Steeple Chase. Anyone else ever seen one in the flesh? ;)

I just like your site in general for its content, Greg. It's good to see someone else in the state that has a passion for the Atari.

Thanks. Are you in Florida too? One of these days us Florida folks are gonna have a CGE type thing. :D

Oh, and I fixed the Tutankham spelling, Rom Hunter. :D

Edited by Gregory DG

I mean hell, Greg, we should just get some meets in general set up. I just acquired myself a Jaguar (with a copy of "Doom", kinda funny how I get a dos-style error if I crash the game on the title screen), and will soon be getting a Lynx II. I could definitely use some more socialization down here.

I agree about Berzerk. I don't think that either the arcade or the 2600 version are crap. I spent many an hour lost in those mazes fighting off malevolent robots.

For the most part, the 2600 just couldn't handle the graphics and sound of it's arcade counterpart, but the programmers were very clever and managed to squeeze out the most the system could do and remain fairly true to the arcade. Kangaroo is almost a different game on the 2600, but it's still fun as hell.

Donkey Kong and DK Jr. did suck the big one on the 2600, though. Seriously, that is supposed to be a gorilla? It looks like a ginger bread man made out of turd. And ginger bread.

It's not the graphics in DK that makes it suck, it's the horrific gameplay. It is NOT close to the arcade. The arcade has a smooth, flowing feel to it, while the 2600 is jerky and inaccurate. Look at DK on the Coleco to see what that game really can be. Of course, with all the accusations that Coleco intentionally crippled games on other systems to make theirs look better, it could be that it was simply a case of shitty programming and not the systems fault.