IGNORED

Another video made for Atari 8bits

Allas

This time, Mr.Atari create a 40 seconds color movie. The first step of movie colors in Atari.

Cool... color... It'd be cool if he releases his video capture software/hardware schematics... Full motion video added to a game would be awesome...

This time, Mr.Atari create a 40 seconds color movie. The first step of movie colors in Atari.

Cool... color... It'd be cool if he releases his video capture software/hardware schematics... Full motion video added to a game would be awesome...

Well,... in his own words:

" 8.333 fps 128x64 6 bit 2:1 ratio RGB interlaced. This is exactly 2 RGB-sets

each frame. 8.533 Hz 4 bit sound (0001xxxx volume-only pokey format).

Uploaded on MyIDE as 6k video-block / 1k audio-block.

data rating: 58.33 kbyte/second "

Video has been capture in 320x200 with an 8500 ATI WONDER, its a pity for an unknown reason youtube calibrate the video so dark. (maybe due to flickering effect).

It would be pretty easy to DIY - there's plenty of software that will convert an AVI to a sequence of BMPs, which is probably what he did in the first place.

An improvement on that demo would definately be to up the sound to 6 bit samples, preferably at ~ 16 KHz although CPU time might not allow that rate due to having to also do the GPRIOR change for APAC mode.

Might have a go myself but I've only got the emulator to test it as obviously it would need very high speed I/O.

The Atari is way too slow to do any sort of MPEG or MJPEG, but it would be interesting to try and develop some sort of codec for it.

Probably something along the lines of CyberPaint on the ST - it stored it's animations using RLE and XOR sequences for the data that had to change between frames.

Hello guys

I have no clue yet, how Sijmen gets the color movie data to the screen. But with the black and white movies he just shoveled the data in from his harddrive. Data was put on the HD in a read to use format (256 bytes of screen data per sector, no sector links) and just loaded via his MyIDE interface.

AFAIK the code could be rewritten so that different interfaces could use it to, but you have to be able to directly access the storage medium to just shovel the data in. The MyIDE will not do CDROM-drives, but a BlackBox should be able to load data off whatever you want (CDROM-, DVD-, ZIP-, Harddisk- drive) fast enough to play those kind of movies on the Atari 8 bit computer.

Greetings

Mathy

• 1 month later...

Well,

I contacted Sijmen Schouten via e-mail and asked him if he could get me a copy of the mentioned SpongeBob video... and Sijmen told me, that he did NOT do it. Instead he asked me, where I read about this, since he still wants to know who really did it... So, does anybody know who did this video ?!? Or is it a fake ?!? Greetings, Andreas Koch.

Hello guys

The video has been uploaded by mcappp, a 38 year old person from Peru. Next to the video you can see who uploaded it. Click on it, and you can read his/her age and country. It looks like you can also send mcappp a message via that page.

Greetings

Mathy

I think he may mean he did not make the capture for the YouTube video, but I believe he did make the original one on the Atari.

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499

Steve

Nice to see every body geussing who did what :-)

Well, I did the conversion from AVI to Atari format, using a atari (emulator) with Atari software.

Sound is converted with goldwave to 8 bit and then useng (again) Atari software to 4 (!) bit.

The tread mentioned by Steve is on Atarimax, where it all started by Allas.

The files for looking at it yourself can be downloaded from my homepage.

There you find also the gray version demos (matrix reloaded).

And the sponge bob demo.

http://mr-atari.com/demo/

For the RGB demo you need a CF-card since it uses 8 bit PIO-mode for higher data-rating.

Playing the movies takes 60 kbyte / seconds trafic on the parallel data-bus.

Cheers,

Sijmen.