IGNORED

7800 video output to composite or s-video?

Troytn

I was wondering if anyone has modified their 7800 to output composite or even better s-video. If so does it give you any better picture? I assume doing this one would get new audio outputs as well?

Does anyone offer this as a service and HOW much?

Thanks

Troy

I was wondering if anyone has modified their 7800 to output composite or even better s-video. If so does it give you any better picture? I assume doing this one would get new audio outputs as well?

I have a 7800 that has been modified with both composite and s-video output, as well as stereo output. The picture quality through s-video is significantly better than through RF. I haven't tried the composite output, but I would expect that to also be a big improvement.

Unfortunately, I did not do this modification myself and have not opened up the 7800 to see exactly what was done. I don't want to reveal the name of the person who did the mod as he may not want to be flooded with requests. However, I will ask him to take a look at this thread and maybe he'll comment.

..Al

Al,

Much appreciated. I'm with you. I have no intentions of opening my 7800 and looking or attempt to do it myself. I just thought someone on here would be advanced enough o have done this and maybe It can be done for a reasonable price.

Thanks again

Troy

If it was reasonable, I'd be willing to pay someone to do that mod for mine (and for my 5200 if possible) :)

I have already done the power plug modification for the 7800, but I don't have enough confidence in my electronic skills to attempt the audio/vidio thing...

To be honest, I'm really surprised there aren't any enterprising engineering students who aren't already offering modded 7800's (or 2600's) for sale. I figure you could charge $79.99 or even $99.99 for a modded system with 2 joysticks and probably sell a couple dozen of them. Of course, depending on how much the parts cost and how much labor is involved, it may or may not be a wise move.

Or you can always do what I do.. play 2600 games via Coleco Adam, which has composite output.

KA

I'm willing to make a little extra money adding the S-video modification, but I lack the soldering skill to make connections to the PCB. I spent an hour making the circut that can add S-video out to an Atari 2600 or 7800 (not a difficult thing to make, I'm just not fast at it), and I couldn't connect it to the system. Bother.

Ok I may as well give up on a s-video output. Is anyone using an RF modulator? I assume somewhere out there someone (Radio shack) has a contrption that allows one to have a coax input in and composite and audio outputs?

I have an RF DE-modulator that alows audio left/right input and composite input and its output is coax. I need something to do the opposite of this for the 7800.

Does it exist? If so I bet its more expensive than the actual 7800.

I guess I may have to stay with direct coax hookup.

Troy