IGNORED

"E.T. Return to Earth" Prototype

Atari Charles

I am not how many of you have read the E.T. Book Cart, but in the Secrets of E.T. section, it mentions the Prototype "E.T.: Return to Earth", which is a Taiwanese unlicenced release that is a sequel to E.T..

Right now I am in talks(and have been for awhile) with the person in France who is in possession of this proto and trying to work out some kind of deal with him so I can get this proto and dump it. Right now price is a big factor as he wants a lot for it, but I am trying to get him to a more manageable price. I spoke to him before while working on the E.T. Book Cart with Michael Rideout.

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?ma...products_id=847

So for something like this, do any of you have any suggestions for negotiating with this fellow? I will finance this myself, but was hoping for suggestion in getting him down in price. Right now he wants 800 Euro. Is he nuts, or is this proto worth getting ahold of?

I'll get him to send some pics of it, so I can post them. I have a few right now, but they aren't very good.

Edited by Atari Charles

Palmer makes a great point, how complete is the proto? Do you know for a fact that it is a proto??? 800 euros is close to $1200 US dollars, right???

1,081.99 USD

1,196.83 CAD

1,307.02 AUD

542.771 GBP

129,946.05 JPY

11,675.09 MXN

27,935.27 RUB

7,472.91 ZAR

I have more info on the cart as mentioned in the E.T. Book Cart. I can post some of it tommorrow as I need some sleep after a very busy day.

I believe this person who has the proto is open to negotiating, whether it is cash or some other kind of video game trade that I may have to do.

What I can say right now without looking at my notes and emails from him, is that the proto is complete and playable.

Also what I will say is that I will find some way to get this proto so it can be dumped for all to enjoy on cart. No, I am not going to sell the burned carts myself but may donate the dumped file to Atari Age to do with as they wish, whether they offer it as a download or if makle up some carts for sale at a cheap $25 price. I have mentioned something about this to Albert way back when the E.T. Book Cart was being worked on, but will probably email him again to see what he has to say.

Edited by Atari Charles

Sounds absolutely great! Looking forward to hearing more about the project. :)

For those of you with the E.T. Book Cart, read the chapter called "Secrets of E.T." as it will fill you much more on this proto.

I'll try to post more specifics tonight when I have more time.

Sorry for the delay.

I am coming closer to an agreement with the owner of this proto to something we both can live with. This proto is the real deal and is unique.

Here is some info from the E.T. Book Cart:

E.T.: Return to Earth.

-programmed by an American programmer working for a small bootleg company located in Taipei, Taiwan.

-oddly the title screen reads: SAVE ELLIOT. This game was never released.

-located in a private collection in Paris, France.

-cart is atari style, no label aside from a sticker with handwriting on it.

-crude typed black & white one page manual

Storyline typical of Tawianese Pirates:

The E.T. is lonely for friend Elliot. The E.T. not wanting his kind turns to earth and find mars monsters that eat people and make prisoner to Elliot. The E.T. get angry and have to make Elliot safe. WATCH OUT! Mars monsters HUNGRY. Points go high if weapon made and the E.T. make Elliot safe on earth. If Elliot not rescue and time make zero, the E.T. will die too. You be brave. The E.T. must be brave to help friend Elliot and in truth she make earth happy and well.

The pictures the owner sent me aren't the greatest quality GRAINY(looks like he used a webcam) so I will have him email me better pics so I can post them here or post a link to them.

If you want more specifics, read the E.T. Book Cart under chapter "Secrets of E.T."

The problem is this, if I don't get the proto then I can't dump it for Atari Age. If someone else gets the proto then the game may never get released. This is a unlicensed Taiwanese sequel to the first E.T, but it is still a direct sequel and thus all we have.

Edited by Atari Charles

Sorry for the delay.

I am coming closer to an agreement with the owner of this proto to something we both can live with. This proto is the real deal and is unique.

Here is some info from the E.T. Book Cart:

E.T.: Return to Earth.

-programmed by an American programmer working for a small bootleg company located in Taipei, Taiwan.

-oddly the title screen reads: SAVE ELLIOT. This game was never released.

-located in a private collection in Paris, France.

-cart is atari style, no label aside from a sticker with handwriting on it.

-crude typed black & white one page manual

Storyline typical of Tawianese Pirates:

The E.T. is lonely for friend Elliot. The E.T. not wanting his kind turns to earth and find mars monsters that eat people and make prisoner to Elliot. The E.T. get angry and have to make Elliot safe. WATCH OUT! Mars monsters HUNGRY. Points go high if weapon made and the E.T. make Elliot safe on earth. If Elliot not rescue and time make zero, the E.T. will die too. You be brave. The E.T. must be brave to help friend Elliot and in truth she make earth happy and well.

The pictures the owner sent me aren't the greatest quality GRAINY(looks like he used a webcam) so I will have him email me better pics so I can post them here or post a link to them.

If you want more specifics, read the E.T. Book Cart under chapter "Secrets of E.T."

The problem is this, if I don't get the proto then I can't dump it for Atari Age. If someone else gets the proto then the game may never get released. This is a unlicensed Taiwanese sequel to the first E.T, but it is still a direct sequel and thus all we have.

Well, if you are having trouble getting the proto, maybe I can help. ;)

I can't seem to find the rom of the game to read this, link?

I don´t believe the ROM´s been dumped/released.

I am going to handle to purchase of the proto myself. It less than he is asking but more than I want to spend, but that's the way it goes. I'm going to dump or get the ROM dumped and give it to Atari Age. They can do with it as they wish, but I do hope they come out with a release cart of E.T. Return to Earth. They should be able to do it for about $20 to $25 as I am not talking any portion of anything made from this. I just the proto and I want the cart released. I'm a big fan of E.T. and the spinoffs and sequel, so this is a must have for me.

This ROM has never been released.

If any of you want to do a label for this release as a donation, that'd be cool. We could do a vote or even let HSW decide which label is the most suiting. The instruction will give some of you an idea, other actually have the E.T. Book Cart and an use that info(there is more on the cart about this unreleased proto).

I, like many of you would like to see this released on cart, so hopefully Atari Age is on board with this. I haven't heard from AL about this, so hopefully he'll email me soon.

Edited by Atari Charles

Hmm, I supose that would make it pretty hard for folks to read more about this proto without having to buy the book cart then eh? So the proto is gonna get dumped but the "book" with the details about it will cost ya $30 bucks? Not a half bad marketing scheme if your into taking that route I guess :ponder: :P

Hmm, I supose that would make it pretty hard for folks to read more about this proto without having to buy the book cart then eh? So the proto is gonna get dumped but the "book" with the details about it will cost ya $30 bucks? Not a half bad marketing scheme if your into taking that route I guess :ponder: :P

No, I have given all the information to what I had at the time and most of what is in the E.T. Book Cart. There is more, but nothing that you need as I am getting the proto and will be dumping it for Atari Age. There may be a few minor pieces missing, but I pretty much summed up the important stuff in point form.

Well, the E.T. Book Cart is a joint effort and a homebrew, so no it isn't getting dumped. It was made to be released as a cart through Atari Age.

Don't buy the E.T. Book Cart to get more information. It is pointless if that is the only reason you'd buy the E.T. Book Cart. There is no marketing scheme here at all. I am just updating people on my progress regarding getting this proto and dumping it for all of you to enjoy without making a penny.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY THE E.T. BOOK CART FOR MORE INFO ON THE E.T. RETURN TO EARTH PROTO, BECAUSE THE DUMPED PROTO WILL CONTAIN THE ACTUAL SEQUEL. WHY READ ABOUT HOW IT LOOKS AND PLAYS WHEN YOU CAN PLAY IT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

This post is not about the E.T. Book Cart, I am just making reference to it. This post is about this proto and the process I am going through to get it, so I can have the proto and I can dump it for Atari Age to do with as they wish(although I hope they come out with a cart).

After I typed all of this I reread Shawn's post an saw the :P so I am guessing he is joking or half joking. Man, I must be tired. I'll update everyone once I hear more. For now, I am going to :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: and dream of this :ahoy: proto.

Edited by Atari Charles

Just a quick update.

I've paid the guy in France who owns the prototype and should be getting it here in approximately 1 to 2 weeks. I'll snap some better pics of the proto with it's meager one page manual here and post them. I guess I should watermark the pics as well.

Next, I'll work on getting some screenshots, once it is here and I can hook everything up, so you all will be able to see what the game is like.

After I typed all of this I reread Shawn's post an saw the :P so I am guessing he is joking or half joking. Man, I must be tired. I'll update everyone once I hear more. For now, I am going to :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: and dream of this :ahoy: proto.

Yep, I was just fuckin' around. No ill will. Nice to hear you scored this unique proto. I'm sure you know someone to dump it for you but if you want I can send you cart dumper if you like as long as you pay shipping both ways.

Just a quick update.

I've paid the guy in France who owns the prototype and should be getting it here in approximately 1 to 2 weeks. I'll snap some better pics of the proto with it's meager one page manual here and post them. I guess I should watermark the pics as well.

Next, I'll work on getting some screenshots, once it is here and I can hook everything up, so you all will be able to see what the game is like.

That is bloody excellent! Good job!

Man, I can´t wait to hear more about this elusive game. :cool:

Yep, I was just fuckin' around. No ill will. Nice to hear you scored this unique proto. I'm sure you know someone to dump it for you but if you want I can send you cart dumper if you like as long as you pay shipping both ways.

Yeah, I figured it out the second read. I may be able to use a reader locally, but if not, I'll pm you.

Just a quick update.

That is bloody excellent! Good job!

Man, I can´t wait to hear more about this elusive game. :cool:

It sounds pretty cool. To me it is a sequel even though it is probably considered a pirate cart. I am trying to find more information about the proto and whatever lore that surrounds it.

• 4 weeks later...

The prototype with manual did arrive safely. My internet has been down for a short while so I haven't been able to post. I am going to try and get some good pics up in the next week. My girlfriend is close to having a baby Cy-Ghost :) ;) , so my time is limited. I'll make sure to get the pics up and the code from the cart sent to Atari Age.

I was hoping to get further on some other projects, but will get back in the saddle again.

• 3 weeks later...