IGNORED

Is there a 2600 game that NO ONE will claim to like?

godzillajoe

Seems like no matter how bad someone thinks a game is, some will claim to like it or even love it.

The much maligned E.T. and Pac-Man for sure have their fans

So I'll start with Karate.

Does ANYONE ever play this one and get any sort of enjoyment?

How about when you were a kid?

Ssssnake?

Cosmic Creeps?

Sorcerer?

Airlock That says it all. WP

I've heard people claiming to like Airlock, Journey Escape, Sorceror, and even Skeet Shoot.

I've never heard anyone claiming to like Sssnake, and I don't think I've ever heard any support for Fire Fly. I seem to be the only person with anything nice to say about Star Fox (it fires lasers like Defender should have done).

Although Star Ship is often ridiculed, I think it deserves credit for trying to start the FPSS genre. I can't think of much good to say about Basic Math, though. Nor Slot Machine, for that matter. I'd say those two were probably Atari's biggest duds.

Airlock That says it all. WP

I've heard people claiming to like Airlock, Journey Escape, Sorceror, and even Skeet Shoot.

I've never heard anyone claiming to like Sssnake, and I don't think I've ever heard any support for Fire Fly. I seem to be the only person with anything nice to say about Star Fox (it fires lasers like Defender should have done).

Although Star Ship is often ridiculed, I think it deserves credit for trying to start the FPSS genre. I can't think of much good to say about Basic Math, though. Nor Slot Machine, for that matter. I'd say those two were probably Atari's biggest duds.

I am one that thinks Airlock isn't such a bad game......it reminds me a little bit of Open Sesame!

I don't understand the hate for Sorcerer. I wonder if a lot of people just don't know how to play, because it's a pretty basic shooter. Nothing overly terrible about it.

Karate though...yeah, that's pretty bad. I've not heard of anyone actually enjoying that game.

Seems like no matter how bad someone thinks a game is, some will claim to like it or even love it.

Around here - no.

No matter how absolutely terribly worthless a 2600 game might be, you're guaranteed to get people who praise if for some reason. I think it's people just being purposely obtuse. Or perhaps deranged. :P :lol:

No matter how absolutely terribly worthless a 2600 game might be, you're guaranteed to get people who praise if for some reason. I think it's people just being purposely obtuse. Or perhaps deranged. :P :lol:

Or we're hopelessly idealistic and try to make the best of a bad thing. :ponder: :D

I can find something to like about most games. Karate is neat for novelty/collecting purposes. It's sort of an odd game...too bad it plays like death. It'd be neat to have, but if emulation is any indication, I can't say I'd actually enjoy the game itself. I find the graphics tolerable though...if the game had come out in 1977-78, they'd almost have been good!

Star Ship seems to have a slowly increasing number of fans emerging in the last year or so. And by that, I mean that at least one or two other people BESIDES me stick up for the game when someone trashes it. :) Star Ship is still a game I come back to regularly. If for no other reason, it's an important cartridge because it features the first known first-person shooting game (Star Ship) and first first-person travel/flying/"driving" game (Warp Drive) ever to appear on a home video game system. Additionally, I think it's actually fun to play, especially with two players. People always praise early games like Combat, Video Olympics, Indy 500, and to lesser extents games like Night Driver and Air-Sea Battle, but any representation of the Atari 2600's early years is not complete without Star Ship.

I like Sorcerer and Space Jockey which are two games that alot of people hate. :)

I'll second the love for Space Jockey. I think the people who hate that one must be playing on the default game variation, which is admittedly terrible. They just need to try the variation with the fast shots, enemies that move up and down, etc.

As for Sorcerer, you're on your own on that one. :P

I liked Cosmic Creeps - I think I even clocked it.

You could nominate Basic Maths but it isn't really a game - for attempts at a game I'd go for:

Slot Machine

Street Racer

Slot Racer

Space Jockey

I like Sorcerer and Space Jockey which are two games that alot of people hate. :)

I'll second the love for Space Jockey. I think the people who hate that one must be playing on the default game variation, which is admittedly terrible. They just need to try the variation with the fast shots, enemies that move up and down, etc.

As for Sorcerer, you're on your own on that one. :P

I'll add a third for Space Jockey. I may be biased because I found a cart in a thrift store a couple weeks ago and bought it, but I also think it has some potential to turn it into a hack based on the movie "Independence Day".

I also agree with BassGuitari about Star Ship; for the reasons he cites, as well as my nostalgia for when I first played the game as a teen. Of course other versions of "pilot a star ship through space and destroy targets" games followed that were much better implementations, but Star Ship was the first.

I like Street Racer as a head-to-head two player game; especially the diverse game variations such as Slalom, Number Cruncher, and Scoop Ball.

Perhaps GodzillaJoe was on to something when he started this thread; it really is difficult to find one game that is universally disliked...

Slot Machine comes to mind as having no redeeming value.

Except maybe from a historical perspective. Wasn't it David Crane's first game?

Not something I'd actually want to PLAY ever again, though.

Edited by graywest

Slot Machine comes to mind as having no redeeming value.

Except maybe from a historical perspective. Wasn't it David Crane's first game?

Not something I'd actually want to PLAY ever again, though.

He told me he wrote it for his grandmother who liked to play slots and couldn't get out to do it anymore. So I guess it could also be the first game designed for the "Mature" market...

Tempest

Mr. Robinett's "Basic Programming" comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, great concept but why would you expect anyone to devote any time whatsoever to writing a program, in Basic, without a keyboard, that you had no means of saving. Oh, I get it-- the limited RAM would ensure that your programs would be short enough to memorize....

Journey Escape

Even though I usually use this as one of those "games clearly worse than E.T." games, I have to admit there's something almost likeable about the concept of helping band members run away from groupies and record managers to escape in a spaceship. Also, opening song isn't half bad.