IGNORED

Perfect Atari ST/XE color match!

Understand about the lighting issues but I have what I have, and that's not a photography studio. :)

Since I had the 1040ST open to fit a Gotek, I took a picture of the inside of the bottom case compared to the outside of the top case. Often, the inside of a computer case can avoid the yellowing effects over time (but not always). 

In this picture you can see the inside color is quite similar to the outside color which is also quite similar to the color of the mouse, which didn't originally come with this computer. 

So maybe this 1040ST started life a different shade of gray than the 130XE, maybe not.

1040st case.png

On 2/18/2022 at 1:07 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

Got to love that in the reporting they mention Tramiel was buying defective hard drives for cheap and then mapping out the defects and putting them in Atari products with 5 meg less storage. You have to love it because the defect list wasn't always included so if you had to low level the drive you had better be prepared for a shock when entering the generic data that the drive would normally use... ah the good old days of shaving a penny and then letting the end user deal with it later... the shear hilarity of it comes back to life after viewing this video...

Only think I've ever seen one MFM, or RLL drive with no published defects.  Though back in the day (on PCs), I used to use a program to run patterns against every block of the disk and would find that many of the documented defects worked anyways.  Probably not the safest bet, but (thankfully) it never bit me.

I honestly don't think the XE and ST had the same tint.   My friend had a 130XE and I had a 520STfm and I do remember the color of the systems being different back then.   The XE was almost pure gray like this:

R.thumb.png.d5eaa06cfd4483d3b9065ab3702120ce.png

While my ST was a bit darker had a bit of a yellowish/greenish tint like this:  Keep in mind that the image below is a promotional shot of the ST from around 1986,  so it was professionally lit and photographed before natural yellowing could set in:

image.png.707f882962fd68333c713e166d6cbe20.png

In all honesty, I think an ST in "XE gray" would have looked cooler, but I don't ever recall it being that color.

a88a7cd1157607c40732ea458661df40--atari-computers.jfif

• Like 1