IGNORED

Well I TRIED to dye an NES black

I've used RIT dye several times to dye parts for our RC trucks and figured a black NES would be cool. I mixed a double strong batch and let the NES parts soak all day at a near boil and it didn't phase it. Has anyone successfully died one black or do I need to use spray dye?

I've used RIT dye several times to dye parts for our RC trucks and figured a black NES would be cool. I mixed a double strong batch and let the NES parts soak all day at a near boil and it didn't phase it. Has anyone successfully died one black or do I need to use spray dye?

You probably need to use paint and not dye. I've seen painted consoles but not dyed ones.

I actually just painted an NES black the other day:

100_0098.jpg

I took everything apart and used a spray paint made for plastics (3 coats) and then 2 coats of a spray paint clear coat. The picture doesn't do it any justice, it looks really sweet. I was going to paint the reset and power buttons, but couldn't pull them off the board, I was told it was very simple though. I cut the lock out chip and bent the pins back, I'm going to change the LED and paint those buttons. The whole reason I did this is because I bought a Sharp NES Television and they come with special controllers that are made by Nintendo, but they are black and say "Game Television" on them instead of Nintendo. I like them and wanted a system to match the colors, black and some read fit the bill.

Edited by MrMark0673

that looks really nice. i noticed someone showed a picture of a sega genesis computer with monitor, and now a nintendo tv? you got a pic of this? never knew there were so many non video game related things that were made for video games.

Noo! How can you do that to a Nintendo? There are only so many left in this world. :grin: (kidding!)

It kinda reminds me of those system skin sticketrs you can buy. I almost bought the one that has all the Nintendo characters for my Gamecube once, but decided against it. I felt it might ruin the collector's value someday, assuming a Game Cube will ever become a collectors item.

Noo! How can you do that to a Nintendo? There are only so many left in this world. :grin: (kidding!)

It kinda reminds me of those system skin sticketrs you can buy. I almost bought the one that has all the Nintendo characters for my Gamecube once, but decided against it. I felt it might ruin the collector's value someday, assuming a Game Cube will ever become a collectors item.

they say you can take them off, but they forget to neglect to tell you it leaves the worst glue behind in the process. it took my hours to scrub my gc off after i had the skin on it. ended up just painting it as the case was stratched due to me trying to get the glue off.

they say you can take them off, but they forget to neglect to tell you it leaves the worst glue behind in the process. it took my hours to scrub my gc off after i had the skin on it. ended up just painting it as the case was stratched due to me trying to get the glue off.

I've had good luck with Goo Gone (it's in the paint supply section at Wal-mart). I bought an old Gateway laptop that was covered in that contact paper people line their shelves with. It left a great sticky mess when I pulled it all off. After sitting for 10 minutes or so, the Goo Gone dissolved most of the glue. Unfortunately, the ugly ass laptop looked better with the contact paper on it. :(

It kinda reminds me of those system skin stickers you can buy. I almost bought the one that has all the Nintendo characters for my Gamecube once, but decided against it. I felt it might ruin the collector's value someday, assuming a Game Cube will ever become a collectors item.

So unlikely, this system was mass produced in all countries. GameCube, Playstation, Xbox will be many years away from every being worth anything.

Systems like Atari, NES, and Famicom weren't produced in every country so they have the highest possibility of becoming a collectors items.

Especially the Famicom which grows in worth everyday, raising and raising.

I just bought one off of Ebay like 7 hours ago, and the bidding went all the way up to 68$, with me bidding 1$ more then the second highest bidder.

It kinda reminds me of those system skin stickers you can buy. I almost bought the one that has all the Nintendo characters for my Gamecube once, but decided against it. I felt it might ruin the collector's value someday, assuming a Game Cube will ever become a collectors item.

So unlikely, this system was mass produced in all countries. GameCube, Playstation, Xbox will be many years away from every being worth anything.

Systems like Atari, NES, and Famicom weren't produced in every country so they have the highest possibility of becoming a collectors items.

Especially the Famicom which grows in worth everyday, raising and raising.

I just bought one off of Ebay like 7 hours ago, and the bidding went all the way up to 68$, with me bidding 1$ more then the second highest bidder.

I don't know, the Atari and Famicom don't have to worry about going dead for no reason like a PS2 or X-box does. (I excluded the NES, cause although it's an easy fix to replace the Zif, it's not something everyone will do) It's quiet possible, taht even thojugh there wre rougly 20 million or so Atari's made originally, that in 20 years, tere will actually be more of them than PS2's floating around.

I dont blame you,white or off-white has got to be the WORST colour for a console,hard to keep clean and you see every scratch and scuff mark.I'm sure glad ATARI did most of their systems in BLACK!

I'm definitely doing a Wii colored NES soon, full with a super bright blue LED. I'm really excited to try that out, I think white will look nicer in pictures too. If I get this done this week, I'll throw some pics up here.

i can understand how youll do the white paint, similar to how i did the gc of mine.. but how are you going to do the blue light? also, i know there is clear coat out there, and ive used it.. but i dont really see a difference. is there a way to get the paint to shine like a wiis?

An LED switch is a breeze on the NES, just do a quick google search. About the clear coat, I used a plastic non-gloss clear coat to protect the paint, not to be shiny. Now I can throw this NES down the stairs and the paint will stay put. They do have a reflective clear coat that I will buy for the Wii/NES job, I'll take a pic of the can and tell you how well it works. Its meant for bike helmets and mail boxes to reflect light but let the color of the paint come through, not sure how good it will work.

Painting a white console a darker colour as black is cool,BUT,when it starts getting scratched up,it looks horendous,as with anything light, painted a darker colour,or vice versa.Looks cool as heck.I wish the nes was black molded plastic like the 2600,looks waaaaaaaaaay cooler imo.