IGNORED

Gorf: Good News and Bad news....

Gorf

• 1 month later...
I would love to get Gorf Classic CD for Atari Jaguar..

Would it be possible buy one from somewere?

Gorf was my second computer game 80´s at Vic20. Would be really nice to have it :)

The best hope is finding some one in the community letting go of their copy.

However, I asked folks on an honor sysetm not to ebay whore these copies

and if you do sell them, sell them to someone int he community for a REASONABLE

price. The friggin thing only cost $34.95. You should not pay much more than that.

the new version, if Midway allows will be jacked up a bit in price as the proceeds will

be going to a Cystic Fybrosis charity in honor of my friend Neil Brandwene who passed

away this year in Febuary.

I don't know how much yet but at most another 10 dollars..so 45 bucks...max. I want

to get as much money for his wife and daughter, Ruth and Kelly, to give it to the charity

of their chosing. Don't hold me to that just yet. Midway may actually have something to

say about it as well.

I don't know how much yet but at most another 10 dollars..so 45 bucks...max. I want

to get as much money for his wife and daughter, Ruth and Kelly, to give it to the charity

of their chosing. Don't hold me to that just yet. Midway may actually have something to

say about it as well.

I'm sure Midway will want their slice of the pie, probably a dollar or two per copy. Then Taito will probably want another dollar or two per copy.

say about it as well.

I'm sure Midway will want their slice of the pie, probably a dollar or two per copy. Then Taito will probably want another dollar or two per copy.

Im not going to assume anything until I hear it straight from the source.

• 12 years later...
On 9/6/2007 at 11:38 AM, JagChris said:

Why Taito? I would think it would be Namco who would be asking for a piece due to the Galaxians stage, but what ownership does Taito have?

11 hours ago, JagChris said:

You better not be sober

Unfortunately. But, I have a week off, so we'll see. I've got to finish tiling the bathroom, and I'm studying for a certification that I don't even really need, but once I'm done with that... there's a bottle of locally San Antonio distilled gin and a can of "plant based" Tonic water with my name on it. Literally, it has my name on it because my wife put my name on it with a Sharpie because the can has been sitting in the fridge for like a month and she says it's in the way.

I hadn't had anything to drink in like almost 2 months, so I went to Sprouts to get some tonic water. The only thing they had was this really weird "Gluten Free" and "plant based" tonic water. It had never occurred to me because I never assumed other tonic waters were meat based (who knew?!)... but man is it nasty. I mean, it is seriously gross.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2020 at 1:02 PM, KevinMos3 said:

Probably not worried about it any longer, since the thread was last active 13 years ago and the author was banned 10 years ago.

Is this time trick in preparation for the new Bill and Ted movie?  Whhooaa!

Banned? I'm curious what for?

On another note, let me know when this game gets released!

3 hours ago, JagChris said:

It was authorized. I can't remember who actually sent midway the jagCD to test it with. Goochman or someone who had a mess of them. But they wanted Gorf to sell it for like $5-10. And he couldn't sell it for that low.

WTF are you talking about?  Explain how I had a "mess with" who?

Dude, lay off the LSD as you have no clue about what you are saying.

For those that want a replay on what happened this is how I remember it - not how I "messed with it" or demanded a $10 release.............lol

The author contacted one of the original programmers from the game who gave their blessing to make an arcade perfect port.  Port was made and somehow the copyright owners (Midway?) got wind of it and issued a cease and desist and the original programmer had no authority to give permission.  End of story.  No strong armed banditos asking for a $10 release.

How I am potentially involved is I didnt have a CD unit at the time and was waiting for a cartridge release which was in the plans.  And no I didnt ask for a $10 cartridge release.  So I missed out on the original purchase.  I have luckily since then acquired a Gorf CD which I still own.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Goochman said:

WTF are you talking about?  Explain how I had a "mess with" who?

Dude, lay off the LSD as you have no clue about what you are saying.

For those that want a replay on what happened this is how I remember it - not how I "messed with it" or demanded a $10 release.............lol

The author contacted one of the original programmers from the game who gave their blessing to make an arcade perfect port.  Port was made and somehow the copyright owners (Midway?) got wind of it and issued a cease and desist and the original programmer had no authority to give permission.  End of story.  No strong armed banditos asking for a $10 release.

How I am potentially involved is I didnt have a CD unit at the time and was waiting for a cartridge release which was in the plans.  And no I didnt ask for a $10 cartridge release.  So I missed out on the original purchase.  I have luckily since then acquired a Gorf CD which I still own.

Whoa. Now easy. It is as a member with a G in their name. Gusbucket? It's been a long time. Maybe Saturn remembers.

Midway was the one who wanted him to sell it for $10+15.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sirlynxalot said:

It seemed unusual that a large company like Midway was agreeable to looking at a homebrew effort with a jaguar that was being sent in the mail to them. I take it this did not happen at all then. 

You only get to keep your IP if you protect it when notified of its use.  Why do you think Nintendo cares about all the 2600 knock offs - or that never happened either.................

A few things that I remember:

-The author had permission from Jamie Fenton (one of the creators?) for doing the game

-The author had a way of saying things and speaking his mind/drawing attention during the making and after releasing the game

-Also other -nonJaguar- people entered the Jaguar/Gorf/discussion thread and suspicion arose (see lines above)

-Author sent a Jaguar with Cd unit and copy of the game to Midway to show and for approval

-No approval, game over

Someone feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Edited by Isgoed
typo
  • Like 1

Was the Jaguar sent completely unsolicited or did someone at Midway say yes please send us a jaguar to test your software on. It all seems so incredible but I guess that's the story of the jag and it's fans!  I don't work in the software industry but I do work for a large company and just thinking of someone sending a jaguar unsolicited to us is a hilarious thought. It would never see the light of day.