IGNORED

Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?

Rhindle The Red

Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?

• Yes, all the time and/or for long stretches.
    • Yes, on occasion, but it doesn't last.
    • Not really, maybe just a bit.
    • No, not at all.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Yes, I'm obsessed with Ms. Pac-Man, from the original Atari 2600 VCS version all the way to the PS2, the original arcade verion. Ever since I opened my Atari 2600 VCS box from Ebay 6 years ago I have been obsessed with the game & even as a kid I loved Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man. I can play it for hours :0)...

Edited by Atari~e

Yeah, I've had some long-standing fixations, but nothing quite as crazy as your thing for Booby McCroft there.

I'm stupid for retro.

I have been programmed to buy all Star Wars games that don't stink out loud.

I am obsessed with the GameBoy Advance and just buy cartridges for the collection that I will likely never play. Same thing with XBOX Live Arcade.

Alternate Reality, although the series failed to materialize.

Unreal Tournament started my first upgrade frenzy - went from a Celeron 466 / Voodoo 1 through Duron 800/TNT2 Pro then Athlon 1200 within 6 months.

Doom. For some reason I set out to obtain every version. I have the PS1 original but have most other versions runnable on emulators. Even bought a Mac Quadra. Played Doom on it, didn't like it, it's been in the cupboard for about 4 years now.

Most recent was Wolfenstein (RTCW) and Far Cry. Over the last 3 years, 90% of my game time has probably been on them.

Yeah, I've had some long-standing fixations, but nothing quite as crazy as your thing for Booby McCroft there.

I only use Tomb Raider as my example because it's the most recent. I was never into the games during their PSX heyday. It was only some time last year, when I realized that the series was something that could be realistically completed (getting at least one version of every game), that I started in and it ballooned (no pun intended) from there after Legend proved to be so good.

I have several other game-related obsessions, including: Star Wars, Atari (any variety), Resident Evil and The Legend of Zelda.

I have been programmed to buy all Star Wars games that don't stink out loud.

Ah, you see, using any kind of reason goes against the obsession concept. If you can't bring yourself to buy Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi or Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing, it's just infatuation. ;)

I am obsessed with the GameBoy Advance and just buy cartridges for the collection that I will likely never play. Same thing with XBOX Live Arcade.

Yes, that's more like it. Obsession knows no bounds of quality or function.

Doom. For some reason I set out to obtain every version. I have the PS1 original but have most other versions runnable on emulators. Even bought a Mac Quadra. Played Doom on it, didn't like it, it's been in the cupboard for about 4 years now.

Oh, yeah. That's another one.

I've got versions of the various Doom titles for PC, PSX, Saturn, N64, SNES, 32X, Jag, GBA, and Xbox. I've got expansion packs, the movie on DVD, figurines, comics, novels...

Aw yeah, obsession!

I have all the Twisted Metal games, and almost all the Twisted Metal clones: the two Vigilante 8 games, Rogue Trip, SW: Demolition,VCL, WDL...I'm just missing one that uses planes for the vehicles. When I get that one, I'll have them all!!!!!

Edited by JimmydelaKopin

I'm pretty in love with Street Fighter, always have been. I'm nowhere near owning every release of every game, but i love to buy them when i can and i'll get 'em all eventually. :) I also have a ton of the toys from various lines, a set of weird little pencil toppers that i don't know the origin of, various anime series and movies, and i'm currently designing a Zangief tattoo that will take up the majority of my left forearm. I'm also considering getting the Shadoloo insignia put somewhere. The only thing i haven't been able to bring myself to buy is the live-action movie with van Damme. I do, however, proudly own Street Fighter II: The Movie: The Game. :D

I also have a longstanding thing for Castlevania, but this absolutely does not apply to any of the 3D incarnations.

Obsessions in order (that I can remember and I may update this later):

Stargate (Arcade)

Defender(2600 , Flipped it over to 0's, in my book = conquering it, 1st game I had to leave on and go to bed(BEFORE ANY PAUSE FEATURE), there was a trick, like hiding the ship in the city below I think with 1 doo dad left. If someone unplugged it like the 1st time I tried it and was at a very high score, maybe 700,000, I was a mad lil boy for a long time)

Kaboom!(2600, Flipped it over to 0's)

Star Wars TAG (Arcade)

Tron(Arcade 3 Games in one)

Zaxxon (Colecovision)

Donkey Kong Jr (Arcade & CV)

Track n Field (Arcade & 2600)

Discs of Tron (INTV)

Chiller(Arcade, beat this thing into submission but that was just a repeat of earlier play)

Desert Strike(Sega Genesis, Conquered it)

Genghis Kahn (NES, Conquered it Twice) I played this mother twice in a row, 2nd time was faster and I decided I was a Master) Rebought it recently, afraid to play it! Last time many years ago, woke up, played, ate once, played some more til i went to bed with what felt like seizure mode dreaming of Conquering places. Sleep for 6 hours tops, then back at it for about 2 weeks straight, 2nd time about 5 days. If i take a vaca and rent a hotel, maybe I can do it again LOL!

Im sure theres more but Genghis was my beast by far, in the Arcade, was Chiller. I still miss it as NES isnt the same but good for a home game. Chiller saved me much money for many months as usually one quarter would last for hours until it was time to go to the movie of the week. Was good to know I could have fun and still by popcorn and their expensive soda and with 5$ Ahhhhh , the good ole days! Cheers, this was fun reminiscing. Im sure theres a few I forgot.

Update>>>

I cant believe I didnt mention

Metal Gear Solid (PS1, One my all time Favs, Conquerd it a few times)

Rainbow 6 (Conquered the only 2 Ive ever played, Any Tom Clancy are GREAT GAMEs, I refered to Myself as Fisher for a few months there when crap talking with my Cuz)

Edited by Phantom

The Legend of Zelda. I stopped doing homework and dropped from an A student to a C. I didn't care, I couldn't stop myself. Finding the master sword in the mountains was one of the happiest moments of my life. It was not a happiness that could be shared. Friends, parents, and teachers didn't care about some stupid sword in a video game. It was a hard time.

Since then, I've had recurring infatuations with the Twisted Metal and Silent Hill series. But mostly it's just collecting and playing musical instruments. Is it a substitute for friendship, I don't know. If I have a problem, it's a minor one. I go to work and pay the bills, I'm a normal average member of society. Just don't look in the back room or the trunk of my car, it gets hard to find room for the next instrument sometimes.

Mostly it gets hard to justify buying the next one. I'll see something unusual or not in my collection, buy it, and wind up asking myself, "why did I do that? what am I ever going to do with this thing that I can't already do with what I already have?" but at the moment of purchase, it's like buying happiness.

Currently it is Guitar Hero both 1 and 2 and I am already obsessing about 3. In a lot of ways it has prevented me from playing other games. Even though I have unlocked all but one guitar I still enjoy just playing it. I also love Resident Evil and Silent Hill. These titles are the ones I will pay full price for as soon as a new one comes out.

here are my game obsessions i've had:

Fallout 1 and 2: i still consider these two games the best games ever created in the history of video games....there was a time when i used to pen and paper roleplay in this games universe.. i was uber-obsessed

Guitar Hero 1 and 2: jamming all the fuckin time

Pressure Cooker: da-da-da-da-da-DA-Da-da-da-DA-DI-DA-DI-DA-DI-DA-DI.....

Classic MegaMan series: 1-8....next to Mario and Pac-Man...the ultimate icon

Too many PS1 rpg's to list....Xenogears, Chrono Cross, FF8, etc.

All Rockstar releases: All GTAs, Manhunt, Warriors, SOE, etc.

Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side..........best fighting game ever

Black Belt for Sega Master System: I could beat that game blindfolded and with my left hand tied behind my back

Starcraft: Online multiplayer dominated me for a few years

thats all i can think of at the moment....i obsess a lot :)

Not really, or just a bit. However, I was definitely obsessed with Phantasty Star Online. I would come home, play it until late at night. I'd go to bed and see PSO monsters when I closed my eyes. I put in several hundred hours in the DC version - at least half of that actually offline, and another hundred or so on the GC's port of Ep 1&2. It's in my top 5 favorite games of all time.

I think I got a little obsessed with the Dreamcast in general. I kind of lost interest in gaming in the 32-bit era. I mean, I had an n64 and psx (and years later a Saturn), but I didn't play them all *that* much. But when I got the DC, I just started playing games ALL the time, and started buying a lot more games than I did previously.

I also really like the RE series, so I've bought, played through, and tremendously enjoyed every one of the "traditional" RE games (not the light-gun or online spinoffs). I just enjoy the slower pace and puzzle-solving gameplay of the series, although I have to count 4 as my favorite. I'm not sure I'd call that obsessed, though, I just like the games.

Panzer Dragoon got me. Got the first two off the shelf. Pre-ordered PD Saga first chance I could (good thing I did, else I'd have to pay a stupid amount for it now). Even pre-ordered PD Orta when I didn't have an X-box. Hell, it was years before I did get an X-box to play it.

It was the Ridge Racer series for me, though I got the bug pretty late. Ridge Racer was (and still is) my idea of the perfect game. So I picked up any and all Ridge stuff (though I draw the line at the piss-poor DS game). Still don't have the US R4 jogcon box set though. Ah well.

Impressive Tomb Raider collection there Rhindle The Red.

My answer has to be yes.. My ones - Legend of Zelda, Tomb Raider, Monkey Island, Final Fantasy and Lemmings

For instance, I had to get the Japanese Gamecube editions of Zelda: Wind Waker and Zelda: Ocarina of Time.. and despite having the original two games on the GC Zelda disc, I had to get the GBA NES Classic editions. I also had to buy both Twilight Princess on GC and Wii.

For instance, I had to get the Japanese Gamecube editions of Zelda: Wind Waker and Zelda: Ocarina of Time.. and despite having the original two games on the GC Zelda disc, I had to get the GBA NES Classic editions. I also had to buy both Twilight Princess on GC and Wii.

Oh, my Zelda collection is at least as impressive. I've got action figures (open and sealed), T-shirts, books, comics, CDs, etc.

As for the games, I've got virtually every single US release (though not *every* variant), complete with boxes and stuff, including two copies of "Ocarina" (gold and grey carts), two copies of "Majora" (lenticular and "Not for Resale" carts) and both of the "Link's Awakening" releases. The only release I don't have yet is "Twilight Princess" for the Wii because I didn't have a system at the time of launch and played it for the GCN. As I'm not worried about TP for the Wii being difficult to come by in the future, I feel I can hold off for the time being.

As far as Japanese games are concerned, I only get ones that have notable differences with the US versions, so I have "Mask of Mujula" because of the different save system and "Four Swords +" because it has the "Tetra's Trackers" game that was cut from the US and European versions.

I'm still obsessed with the big classic titles such as Donkey Kong, DK jr, Crazy Climber, Q*Bert, Qix, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Defender, ect. It is my desire to get as many different incarnations of those as I possibly can.

Oh, my Zelda collection is at least as impressive. I've got action figures (open and sealed), T-shirts, books, comics, CDs, etc.

As for the games, I've got virtually every single US release (though not *every* variant), complete with boxes and stuff, including two copies of "Ocarina" (gold and grey carts), two copies of "Majora" (lenticular and "Not for Resale" carts) and both of the "Link's Awakening" releases. The only release I don't have yet is "Twilight Princess" for the Wii because I didn't have a system at the time of launch and played it for the GCN. As I'm not worried about TP for the Wii being difficult to come by in the future, I feel I can hold off for the time being.

As far as Japanese games are concerned, I only get ones that have notable differences with the US versions, so I have "Mask of Mujula" because of the different save system and "Four Swords +" because it has the "Tetra's Trackers" game that was cut from the US and European versions.

I also have the soundtracks to Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and the Wind Waker along with most of the walkthroughs. I also have Link to the Past on the GBA.