IGNORED

Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?

Rhindle The Red

Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?

• Yes, all the time and/or for long stretches.
    • Yes, on occasion, but it doesn't last.
    • Not really, maybe just a bit.
    • No, not at all.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The Sonic the Hedgehog Series... I've got all the games, a bunch of little plush dolls, the complete archie comic book series, DVD's of the animated cartoons, and this thing that I saw for $7.99 at goodwill and could not resist.

sonicthehedgehog.jpg

Man that it is a sweet find!! I have tried to get into Sonic, since supposedly Bubsy was patterned off him. Just hasn't happened yet. :)

But yeh Bubsy is the one character I have had fun following. I think it is the way the internet has a way of dogging this character (because it is trendy to torch the Bubster...) :) Hey if you can't be famous, be infamous. :P

Here is my blog dedicated to the Bubster...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...&blogid=234

And I have a good collection of Bubsy going, and if there is anything else out there about the infamous platformer, would love to get it. I actually brought a SNES, Genesis, and Playstation just to play the other variants of Bubsy aside from the Jaguar game which is where I started.

And you'll also see below "Aliens vs. Bubsy" and "Atari Mascot Karts" where Bubsy is promoted as the Atari Jaguar mascot, or a what if at least. :) Someday I might try hacking Jaguar games (like people have hacked 2600 games) and make it where we see more of the Bubster. Would even like to see Bubsy make an appearance on the 7800 and Lynx. Give me five-ten years.. but for now I have fun with photoshop and I place them here on the Bubsy blog, which Atariage can brag is probably the best Bubsy fansite on the internet. ;)

(There are two shirts shown below. The one that I am wearing is one I made with the Japanese Bubsy logo on the back. I have worn that to a few Anime conventions and they loved it. I made that since I could not find the original Bubsy shirt. And then the REAL Bubsy shirt showed up! That made my month. But I still think my shirt was much better.) ;)

post-4709-1249453950_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1249454238_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1249454245_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1249454251_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1249454258_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1249454268_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1249454276_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not really, or just a bit. However, I was definitely obsessed with Phantasty Star Online. I would come home, play it until late at night. I'd go to bed and see PSO monsters when I closed my eyes. I put in several hundred hours in the DC version - at least half of that actually offline, and another hundred or so on the GC's port of Ep 1&2. It's in my top 5 favorite games of all time.

I'm surprised I only saw this one response that included Phantasy Star Online. That was my downfall...PSO Episode I & II for the GameCube. I even had multiple online accounts with multiple GameCubes and all the needed accessories to have 4 player online PSO games with my family. We were all into it and the logged hours of game play were sadly incredible to behold.

So I likely have one of the world's most extensive home collections of GameCubes with Broadband adaptors, PSO disks, Gamecube keyboards, and wireless Ethernet adapters.

• 1 year later...

Obsessed with a video game? Kinda sorta maybe, there's a few I could mention.

Obsessed with a video game character ala Lara Croft? Heck yeah!

(P.S. totally sweet Croft collection there!)

I'm pretty in love with Street Fighter

I'm pretty in love with Street Fighter's Chun Li.

It's an obsession so bad it's got to the point where if a game allows me to create my own custom fighting character (like Soul Calibur IV) I always choose a female character and make her look as close to Chun Li as I can.

I'm close to ordering this figure.

revoltech-street-fighter-online-sfo-3-chun-li-action-figure-kaiyodo~7909982.jpg

AND I am trying to rationalize downloading the Chun Li outfit for Little Big Planet. I just have to find a way to explain this oddness to my wife.

littlebigplanet_conceptart_1fwDW_thumb.jpg

Luckily I'm not quite as far gone as Yoshinori Ono.

gsm_169_tekken_x_street_fighter_gamescom_interview_081910_300.jpg

I dunno. There are obsessive moments, like powering up Nei enough to defeat Neifirst in Phantasy Star II, but never overpowering collectors urges. Grinding the boulders on the staircase in Symphony of the Night until they gave 1 exp was obsessive. Castlevania 64 pretty much killed any obsession with collecting the rest of the series.

• 4 weeks later...

I really loved DOOM when it came out.

I even bought me a Gameboy Advance SP 4 years ago because I wanted to play it in bed :oops: and I still do!

Even tonight I enjoyed a cup of cappucchino and 2 levels of Doom2 - they just play too great on the GBA (Doom) and GB Micro (Doom2).

Wolfenstein with headphones on the GB Micro has been an equally "obsession" since two winters ago, I feel this is going to be my third one...

^^all these three games were comparatively rare and expensive here and WOlfenstein is still indexed, I had to get it from the UK.

Well my two GBA ones "Atari Anniversiary" and "Activision Anthology" are a California import - they had to hop around half the globe (after having most likely been produced in the far east, so they have made a 3/4 globe jump). I simply had to get them!

Only recently I have started with Lynx collecting (I have all the 30-odd games together that I#´ve wantred, except mayne Alpine Games) - this is a serious threat to Doom´ing :D

It´s not an obsession yet but my before-Nintendo-only gaming table is having a full-time Atari mate now.

[i hasten to add that 90% of the time I use the DS for playing Stella DS Atari 2600 games. Seriously.]

Oh boy...video game obsessions have always been a part of my life.

A few of the different series:

Popful Mail (Sega CD)

Tomb Raider

Pokemon (only til Gold/Silver, but I put thousand of hours into Red/Blue/Yellow. Still do)

Mega Man 1-8

World of Warcraft

Halo (mostly Halo 2)

Phantasy Star Online

NCAA Football (probably played 25 different seasons on four or five different versions)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

One big game I've been obsessed with for 21 years now is my favorite game ever, Super Mario Bros. 3. Still have the cartridge that I got for my 11 birthday back in 1990. Wish I still had the box! Would give almost anything to have a Play Choice 10 arcade cab with SMB3 on it, replicating the first time I ever saw and played the game, back in the day. I've seriously thought about buying the cart off ebay complete in the original box and with the instruction booklet. Also, I used to have the Nintendo Power strategy guide for the game, way back in '90, and someday I'll buy it again. I'm crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, sometimes I'll find a game I like so much I'll start looking for every title in the series, rarely do I let myself actually buy them but I come close quite frequently, most recently I bought the first Onimusha game and liked it so much I came within entering my credit card info to order the rest of the series before I snapped to reality. :P Sometimes I don't stop myself though, like when I bought Ys: I & II Chronicles for the PSP. I'd always wanted to play the Ys series and since I can never justify the cost of a TurboDuo to myself I went on a spending spree when I discovered how many of the games were made for the PSP, by the time I was only around halfway through Ys 1, I'd already tracked down and bought Ys: Oath in Felghana, Ark of Napishtim and Seven, if there were anymore made for the PSP I'd have likely bought them all as well. :P

Generally only for short periods of time, and with pretty obscure series/consoles too. Went through a From Software phase where i played through and destroyed all the King's Field games (including Demon's Souls and Eternal Ring, although they are technically not part of the same series), an Amiga CD32 period which resulted in me having the entire CD32 and CDTV collections burned onto 3 spindles of blank disks, and most recently with Romance of the Three Kingdoms (it's fun, really!)

I have had a long lasting love for the Shining Force series my very first try on the sereies was shining force 1 on the sega genesis.But the best of the best and still to this day the 3 best games i have every played was the Shining Force 3 series on the sega saturn .I have completed all three of the part 3 scenerio's man the story for that series was just awsome.Has anyone else here ever tryed the shining force series if so what did you think?

• 2 weeks later...

I was only obsessed with two game series: Back in the 80's was Ultima. I played all of them until Ultima 7 and then I stopped.

Recently it was Half Life 2 - and I'm STILL waiting for episode 3 ... all alone ... all by myself

• 2 months later...

I've had series obsessions lasting for years or sometimes generations. First with the Super Mario games, which was augmented somewhat by the cartoons of the era. The same happened with Sonic the Hedgehog a generation later. Wound up being obsessed with Final Fantasy thanks to number 7, shifted to (classic) Phantasy Star after discovering emulation, and to the "Tales of..." series after that until getting bored with it after Abyss. My most recent obsession was with Monster Hunter until getting bored with that for good. Somewhere down the line was an unhealthy fixation on all things From Software---undoubtedly fueled by King's Field and Armored Core, but spread to everything else of theirs that was localized for Playstation and all three of last generation's systems. Though I've calmed down considerably, I still go apeshit over the Moonlight Sword.

Edited by Jifremok

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I was younger (6-10) I was Addicted to Sonic the Hedgehog.

Then When I was about 10-14 I was Addicted to Super Mario. Full blown, Crazy, Addiction.

Today I Still like the Mario Character and Games (watch the TV show every now and then.) and Like the Sonic Character and Games (and watch AOSTH every now and then.)

• 2 months later...