IGNORED

Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?

Rhindle The Red

Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?

• Yes, all the time and/or for long stretches.
    • Yes, on occasion, but it doesn't last.
    • Not really, maybe just a bit.
    • No, not at all.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The Deception/Trapt series - I lost a job, two girlfriends, and, eventually, an apartment over the first one. In the process, I gained a best friend (That I've retained for the better part of 13 years), and a healthy understanding of addiction. :grin:

In the last six months, I've tracked down all the others in the series, and plan to get 100% of all the traps in each, then copy that data onto a dedicated memory card for each game, and pledge to play through each game annually with ease (not sure if I'm going to do it in one long marathon, or do one game per quarter).

I had a healthy Halo addiction for a long time, but that waned once Imy onlione friends dwindled, and I no longer lived with people that played online.

• 2 weeks later...

All the top FPSs, RTSs or the early 90s... along with some pivotal Point n Click adventure games. Recently, I've been infatuated with Torchlight since it came out... and I've been playing Morrowind for close to 6 years now off and on.

I have a strong feeling that I will be playing Vanilla Torchlight well into my 50s... I plan on having an item that's been Retired and reboosted more than anyone else. A silly, non physical world goal (with absolutely zero significance in the real world :lol:)... but a video game goal none the less :twisted: .

• 1 year later...

I am obsessed with the entire Pin*Bot series of pinball machines: Pin*Bot, The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot, and Jack*Bot.

I own a Jack*Bot machine.

Whenever I get on a plane to go somewhere, I play The Machine and Pin*Bot in Pinball Arcade on my iPod Touch until the battery dies or the plane starts to land, which usually fills me with disappointment.

Pin*Bot speaks to me in my dreams, occasionally, saying "Now I see you."

I wonder about why it is important for me to reach Jupiter or the Sun, when all of the points come from the Solar Value.

I have complex love/hate relationships with different Bride of Pin*Bot machines in multiple cities across the United States. My wife seems disturbed by this.

I'm not even very good at these games.
A psychologist would probably love to speak with me about all this.

Donkey Kong got me into classic gaming in general. Suddenly there was a MAME machine in the living room, and shelf apon shelf of other games in the guest room, then a actual Donkey Jr machine (because it was as close as I could get to the real deal). 6 years later I still play Donkey Kong a few hours a week at least, and that is much much more time than any other game I own. When I was much deeper into my obsession I would play for hours and hours a day, every day. I'm better now but I still can't get over it.

For a person that has played as much DK as I have you would think my top score would be a lot higher, but it comes in large bursts of score and then takes 6 months to get that next 100k and that makes me nuts, so I keep playing thinking I'll figure something huge out with the next game.

Anything that is RPG related or Zelda and if it saves your progress. I was hooked to Horai High School (translated) until that bug during the final confrontation freezes up the game. I was playing it on the Wii but even at medium text speed, it still pooped out during that special attack the final boss uses. I played a lot of the PC versions of Carmageddon as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lessee...

In the mists of 2001, I was obsessed with Mario.

Then I was obsessed with his rival, Sonic.

Then I got hardcore into NiGHTS in 2005.

Then I got obsessed with Jumping Flash in 2006.

I had no huge obsessions after that died down until I discovered how great the Kirby games were in 2012.

Then I got into Spyro during Summer School this year.

I'm still a Sonic fan. Every time a new console game comes out, it's like Christmas, albeit often the Christmas where you discover that all you got was socks and a cheap crappy toy that breaks after five weeks.

Edited by Segataritensoftii

Sure, Castlevania (NES) was released when I was 14 or so, and that was all she wrote. Same goes for Metroid and Resident Evil. I have been obsessed with these particular series since the start. There are several Zelda games that I feel this way about, as well - namely the handheld versions and the first NES game.

As for stand alone titles, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out would be at the top of my 'desert island/lonely space station' games. (I have several copies of this game, you know, "just in case". ;))

Once upon a time I liked so much Congo Bongo that I wanted to play the original and all possible versions.

Then my love for games passed to Burger Time (I've both Colecovision and Intellivision,) then Zaxxon (Colecovision) and later Street Fighter and Double Dragon (I got the arcade boards!! :D)

Recently I've rediscovered Q-bert and I got Colecovision one, and then Atari for no reason, and then... fortunately my pockets have stopped me :P

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First series obsession was Tomb Raider... Even shitty sequels couldn't stop my obsession... Same with assassins creed, though at least that is turning around to being a good franchise again.

My current obsession is these atari home brews. I never knew they existed til about a month ago, now I have 4 already, one in the mail, one on pre-order, one potentially coming thru a buy in the forums... I even dug up a boxed Chetiry. (Thanks to Al). Soon I'll be adding ixion, seaweed assault, cave in, dungeon, JumpVCS...

I will eventually dig deep and go after a boulder dash....

Obsessed. (I don't even have a working atari to play these on yet!)

Edited by dubxcube

• 1 year later...

I was obsessed with The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania, and Mega Man Series for the NES back in the early 90's. When I got home from school. Popped it in. And then all night marathons during weekends, day offs, and Summer Vacations. Especially in Zelda. This was before the internet. Just burning every tree, bombing every rock and boulder fragment to open a cave just to see what you can find. From items, gambling, tips, and dreadfully paying for the door repair. D'oh!! Same thing as in Castlevania 2. Exploring everything everywhere and talking to every villager and blasting holy water for tips and clues to give you hints on beating the game. In 1997. Starting 11th grade. Goldeneye took the cake! I bought it the day it was released, and to simply put it. I was mesmerized. The awesome graphics and detail, first person shooter, the awesome music, objectives and tasks to be done, and beating the certain levels in a target time within to earn a new cheat code and anticipating which one you get. Had the same cart for 18 years and earned all the cheats. In August 1998. I finally got the last one. The very hard. 2:05 in the Facility in 00 Agent mode. Dr. Doak whom you retrieve the door decoder from is your crucial one. Because he pops up randomly in different spots. Still love playing with invincible, all guns, infinite ammo, and turbo. And planting remote mines under the enemies feets and when you set them off. They do flips high in the air.