IGNORED

Lynx soundtrack rips

PFG 9000

• 1 year later...

I managed to get ahold of these music rips yesterday, and I think they're great. Thank you for taking the time to create these. I created some music rips of my own a few years ago. I hooked up a Lynx II to my computer's microphone jack using a standard audio cable, and recorded everything using Windows Sound Recorder, so they were limited to 60 seconds, and I believe the Lynx II is monaural, but I ripped a different set of games, including Chip's Challenge, Gauntlet III, Xenophone, and several others that were already done. Would anybody like these rips, and if so, how do you recommend I post them?

I'd really like to hear Zarlor Mercenary, Malibu Bikini Volleyball, and Rampage. I'd also like to hear Roadblasters, Dracula, and Ninja Gaiden I and III. Maybe I'll do this again and rip some more tunes if there's enough interest.

Thanks Zendocon. I'm glad you're enjoying my music rips, even five years after I posted them! I'd love to hear your rips, if you have time to upload them. Any filesharing site would work fine. I believe filesonic and megaupload are down as a result of the recent SOPA deal, but rapidshare, oron, and depositfiles still work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the rips, guys! I was able to loop the Gates of Zendocon ones into much longer versions (never had any source material to even try to before) and will probably do the same for a few other games later on.

I would link to the extended version that I uploaded to youtube, but I am not sure if that is allowed. Now I just need to find a Rampage rip...

• 9 months later...

I still have the originals someplace. I should be able to find them and re-up them before long. If I don't get on it, give me a reminder in a week or so.

Zendocon, I'm not sure how I missed your link. I was looking forward to hearing those, but I must have forgotten about this thread after my last post. Oron.com is disbanded now. Is there any chance you could re-up yours sometime?

• 1 month later...

It doesn't sound like anyone has ripped the ending song from RoadBlasters or the alternate title music from Toki. There are eggs to access both of them.

In Toki, you can see and hear the alternate title egg if you hold option and up for the entire boot title sequence through the credits dropping on the screen. Also if you hold option and up during the continue screen you will get the developers (Bob Nagel, Robb Mariani, Matt Scott, and yours truly) button mashing inflatable heads egg, but there is no music for that.

In RoadBlasters, there is a cheat that can allow you to get to the end very quickly. If you play the first level and crash into the first tree on the right with the A button pressed you will get the Ghost in the Machine egg with my picture (from 23 years ago, ugh). While on that screen you can press option to change the number in the upper right corner which will be the next level you play after pressing A or B to return to the game and complete level one. So set that to 49, press A, complete level one, and play 49 and 50 to hear the end music. There was no end music in the Coin Op as I recall, so we had Matt whip that tune up, I really like it. To see Matt's ancient picture instead, do the same thing but hit the first tree on the left in level one while pressing A.

The music for both those and many other Lynx games was done by Matt Scott of Byte Size Sound. We've been friends since we were about 19 years old and he's made sound and music for video games on just about every console, handheld, and mobile platform ever made. If you are a game developer in need of audio, he is your guy! http://www.bytesizesound.com/ (sorry about the shameless plug, I just got his Christmas card and am feeling all Lynxy and nostalgic :) )

Anyway, I hope those of you who haven't heard of these eggs enjoy them!

• Like 4

I see at least four unreleased Lynx games on Matt's list. I'm not holding my breath or anything, but even finding the music cues/sound effects so we could hear what might have been...

Well, I can dream, right?!

Thank you, AGAIN, Scott (and Happy New Year)! I'm going to have to find those cartridges tonight and try the eggs.

I see at least four unreleased Lynx games on Matt's list. I'm not holding my breath or anything, but even finding the music cues/sound effects so we could hear what might have been...

I just emailed Matt and asked if he still has my old Amiga 2000 from Atari. I think he was the last one to have it along with a Pinky/Mandy. It probably doesn't run but if he has it I can try to recover what I can from the hard drive(s) and any floppy backups - I was successful with mine, though it wasn't at all easy. I recovered the source to S.T.U.N. Runner earlier this year (AA thread that inspired me) and just finished recovering the source to Toki and RoadBlasters yesterday - The last thing I had to finish was reverse engineering the Amiga Quarterback floppy disk backup format.

I'll keep you posted.

• Like 2

I just talked to Matt on the phone, he still has my old Amiga and some stuff in storage. He's not sure what's on it or if he has any Amiga floppies anymore. When convenient, he said he'd get it out and let me take a crack at recovering whatever I can. FUN! Coincidentally, he is in the middle of a similar big process of copying data off of a huge quantity of old DOS floppy disks to more modern media - one floppy at a time, many of us know that grind all too well, aaah, the good old days.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hello everybody, I download both .zip, in Atari_Lynx_Rips there is this song list as optional:

Blockout

Intro Screen

Checkered Flag

Intro credits

Race select screen

Chip’s Challenge

Title Screen

Dracula

Title Screen

Narration music

Loopz

In-game music

Malibu Bikini Volleyball

Intro Screen

Rampage

Title Screen

I can't find them? has anibody got them?

• 6 years later...

I'm just coming back to this thread after several years.  I've got all the audio rips here plus the ones I created.  If somebody still wants these, I can either post them in an existing repository, or put them on my Google Drive and make them shareable.  Just let me know.

I made a list of other rips I want to make too.  When I created my own originally, I was just using Sound Recorder in Windows XP and had a physical unit connected to the Audio In jack.  The only drawback was that Windows XP Sound Recorder limited samples to 60 seconds.  If I use the same method today, that probably won't be an issue.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Zendocon said:

I'm just coming back to this thread after several years.  I've got all the audio rips here plus the ones I created.  If somebody still wants these, I can either post them in an existing repository, or put them on my Google Drive and make them shareable.  Just let me know.

I made a list of other rips I want to make too.  When I created my own originally, I was just using Sound Recorder in Windows XP and had a physical unit connected to the Audio In jack.  The only drawback was that Windows XP Sound Recorder limited samples to 60 seconds.  If I use the same method today, that probably won't be an issue.

That would be awesome if you could re-upload them here.  Somebody PMed me back in January asking for them, and I totally forgot about that until now.

• Like 1

I'm checking the link out from another device now, and everything seems to be fine.

Some of these audio rips I created, and some I didn't.  I think most of them came from @PFG 9000 several years ago from this same thread.  The ones I created were .wav files, generated by Sound Recorder in Windows XP, with a real Lynx unit connected to the Audio In jack.  That gave it the authentic sound, like the infamous "cricket chirp" from the Epyx launch titles, but at that time sounds were limited to 60 seconds in length.  I also truncated everything after a single playthrough, rather than let it play a couple times through and then fade out (a pet peeve of mine).  At one point, I converted everything to .m4a format, so I could listen to it all on my Nintendo 3DS.

Now for an explanation of each file:

• Alien Vs. Predator: not mine originally.
  • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: not mine originally.
  • Blue Lightning: I had my own rip of this before I deleted it in favor of this version which is three minutes in length.
  • California Games: not mine originally.
  • Checkered Flag: not mine originally.
  • Chip's Challenge: I still have my own rip of this, but what I uploaded came from somebody who provided these files as a "Lynx music mod" for Chip's Challenge on Steam.  There were additional files with instructions on how to apply them, but I left those out.  The only exception is Level 10, which I wasn't able to download, and so I provided my own file.
  • Crystal Mines: I thought I might had ripped these originally, but they're just over one minute in length, so I guess I didn't.
  • Electrocop: The Terminal files are mine, and the other files are not.
  • Gates of Zendocon: I'm pretty sure these are mine.
  • Gauntlet: The Third Encounter: These are mine, since the "Levels" tune truncates after 60 seconds.  I never got around to recording the endgame tune(s).  This is one of the hardest games for me to maintain interest in until the end.
  • Klax: The files I provided are not mine, although I had created my own title screen rip which does not repeat.
  • Kung Food: not mine originally.
  • Lemmings: not mine originally.
  • Qix: not mine originally.
  • Rampage: I created my own rip of the title screen, but this one is not mine.  Getting the 8 in-level tunes will be hard because I'll have to splice out the SFX somehow, but the remaining tunes should be easy: the player selection, the four newspaper tunes, the Player Scores screen, and the High Score winner announcement.
  • Roadblasters: I think this is mine, but I'm not sure.  I should go back and rip the Level Select screen too.  I'd also like to see if somebody can extract the male and female voices.
  • Robo Squash: I think this is mine, but I'm not sure.  I should go back and rip the endgame sequence too.
  • Robotron 2084: I had made my own rips before I found these, which included the Name Entry screen.
  • Scrapyard Dog: not mine originally.
  • Shadow of the Beast: not mine originally.  I don't have the seventh tune - maybe I deleted it by accident at some point?  Can somebody tell me what's missing?
  • Shanghai: these are not mine, but I might have ripped them myself.  I'd like to hear an extended version of the third in-game tune, because after about nine minutes, there's a segment that plays on two audio channels instead of one, creating a pretty "echo" effect.
  • S.T.U.N. Runner: not mine originally.
  • Super Asteroids & Missile Command: not mine originally.
  • Todd's Adventures in Slime World: not mine originally.
  • Toki: not mine originally.
  • Warbids: I had ripped the title screen and Briefing menu originally, but I'm pretty sure these are not mine.
  • Xenophobe: I'm pretty sure this is mine, because there was a version that wasn't mine that repeated once and then faded out.
  • Xybots: The ones I provided are not mine, but I have my own rips as well.  There is one key difference: my title screen rip includes the "Kool-Aid Man wall breakthrough" sound before the music starts.

Finally, I'll leave a wish list here.  Some of these I'll probably do myself.

• Zarlor Mercenary: this is at the top of my list.  Everything should be easy except for the 3rd/6th stage.  The other two in-game tunes can be played after I've neutralized the main boss attacks and maneuvered into a safe spot.
    • The player selection/shop screen
    • Stage 1/4 (and title screen)
    • Stage 2/5
    • Stage 3/6
    • Game Over
    • Endgame
  • Malibu Bikini Volleyball: also very high on the list.  This should be a piece of cake within the Jukebox.
    • (10) Jukebox tunes
    • End of game:
      • No voices
      • With voice after losing
      • With voice after winning
  • Dracula: The Undead: I would have done this originally if I wasn't limited to 60 seconds.
    • Title screen
    • In-game
    • Player death (with and without scream)
    • Dracula scream
  • Hydra: another one I think I can do.
    • Title screen
    • Briefing
    • Level start
    • Level end 1
    • Level end 2
    • Hydradome (Bonus Stage)
    • Bonus Stage End
    • Ziggy's Shop
    • Endgame
  • Rampage: get the other tunes besides the title screen (see above)
  • Roadblasters: get the other tune besides the title screen.  I think there's just the Stage Select/Stage Clear tune.
  • Robo Squash: get the other tune besides the title screen.  There's probably just the endgame.
  • Super Skweek: the tunes are boring, but I should rip them anyway for the sake of completion.  They should be easy to get.
    • Title screen
    • Level intro
    • Level intro cutscene
    • Stage Clear (I'll rip it after getting the Bonus Item to avoid the SFX)
    • Bonus Stage intro
    • Boss intro
    • Game Over
    • Endgame

Any other requests?

• Like 3

I should really go back and do better rips of Blue Lightning and Super Asteroids & Missile Command.  When I made all these rips around 2004, I didn't have those two carts and had to rip via emulation.  And we all know how awful the Handy music sounds.

Unfortunately, now I have two kids and a demanding job.  I can't imagine when I'll have time to get back into BGM ripping. 

• Like 1