IGNORED

1200XL Owners Club (serial tracker)

kheller2

I've had a lot of luck taking the plastic off of these machined pins, placing one metal pin on the tip of a soldering iron, and letting it slowly drive itself into the empty PCB hole. This way I don't risk damaging the pcb by desoldering the old socket.

1200XL boards are sturdy. I removed and replaced 3 sockets on one my (badly abused) machines that had never worked since I bought it 15 years ago. Cut the plastic apart and pulled it off the metals pins/socket wipes, applied liquid flux to each row of pins, grasped them with tweezers, heated them with the iron and pulled them out. I then cleaned out each hole with a touch of the iron and a solder sucker. No worries at all, and all three sockets were replaced without a problem.

I've had a lot of luck taking the plastic off of these machined pins, placing one metal pin on the tip of a soldering iron, and letting it slowly drive itself into the empty PCB hole. This way I don't risk damaging the pcb by desoldering the old socket.

I use these same SIP sockets, but I keep the plastic on them. I cut them off in pairs and just add the two missing positions after I desolder the two holes. Keeps alignment and looks better to me. So there is no need to desolder the 24 pin socket. Just the add the missing socket position pairs with these SIP sockets.

gallery_40446_1285_10133.jpg

Edited by ACML

Oh right my bad. Yes needs 9v AC with at least 2 amps. Still looking on amazon. Any suggestions please? Right now I'm using a '9 V AC 31 VA (3.4 A) Atari#CO17945' it's in good condition but I'd like to use a new PSU for safety and reliability concerns.

Those are about as safe and reliable as anything you’ll find. I have about a dozen of those bricks for my 800’s, 400’s, 1200XL’s and 1050’s. They all put out rock solid voltage and work great, despite their age. “Newer” does not always equal “better.” :)

• Like 2

I have one 1200XL on this list, USA 1983 13 28-Mar-83 78422 83S DA 78422 133 Gunstar. But I have another 1200XL (label missing) with a replacement motherboard DA 119615 183. I have a third motherboard (with keyboard only, no case) DA 118794 193.

I also noticed that I see no other 1200XL's listed, with 6 digit numbers beginning with 1. (119615, 118794)

These two are replacement motherboards ordered from Best Electronics. So twice is a coincidence and three times is a pattern, but I'm going to guess that replacement boards started with 1xxxxx.

So, are Motherboards sold as replacements being ignored? I mean, because I own 3 1200XL's, with one missing a case. But am still only listed as owning one 1200XL. I understand if it's hard to categorize, but they are real 1200XL's. They should be recorded. And I suspect there are plenty more 1200XL's out there with replacement motherboards, Best Electronics and B&C didn't sell out on my account alone.

EDIT: My bad. I just realized the last posted update was before my post quoted above, I thought it was after, so my replacement motherboards I posted about haven't been "ignored" yet... ;)

Edited by Gunstar

1200XL boards are sturdy. I removed and replaced 3 sockets on one my (badly abused) machines that had never worked since I bought it 15 years ago. Cut the plastic apart and pulled it off the metals pins/socket wipes, applied liquid flux to each row of pins, grasped them with tweezers, heated them with the iron and pulled them out. I then cleaned out each hole with a touch of the iron and a solder sucker. No worries at all, and all three sockets were replaced without a problem.

For my latest OS upgrade on my second 1200XL, I decided not to even remove the original sockets and instead cut the last 4 pairs/8 pins (two groups of four pins) off of an old socket with my Dremel and soldered them in next to the original sockets.

Edited by Gunstar

For my latest OS upgrade on my second 1200XL, I decided not to even remove the original sockets and instead cut the last 4 pairs/8 pins (two groups of four pins) off of an old socket with my Dremel and soldered them in next to the original sockets.

My socket replacements weren't for the OS, they were for SALLY, PIA and POKEY. Broken socket wipes are a bitch. ;) Two of my three 1200XL's have factory 28-pin OS sockets. Ironically, they are both Taiwan-made in April 1983. My May/June '83 Sunnyvale 1200XL has 24-pin OS sockets. That one still needs a keyboard Mylar repair but I've been busy on other projects.

Hi. Would this power supply work for a 1200XL?

Oh and please add mine to the list here are photos. 83S DA 52792 163

Seems so far to be working 100%. Will install a UAV-D asap.

No. The 1200XL uses a 9V AC power supply. The one in your link is a DC power supply. You want an Atari CO17945 power supply.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Genuine-Atari-Power-Adaptor-C017945-Supply-800-810-1050-disk-drive/253324376744?hash=item3afb4f3aa8:g:D90AAOSw4Z5aPGoI

s-l1600.jpg

My socket replacements weren't for the OS, they were for SALLY, PIA and POKEY. Broken socket wipes are a bitch. ;) Two of my three 1200XL's have factory 28-pin OS sockets. Ironically, they are both Taiwan-made in April 1983. My May/June '83 Sunnyvale 1200XL has 24-pin OS sockets. That one still needs a keyboard Mylar repair but I've been busy on other projects.

I only mentioned the OS sockets because of the picture of them above. I was just pointing out that I felt replacement of the OS sockets an unnecessary step that only introduces another chance to screw things up. ;)

No. The 1200XL uses a 9V AC power supply. The one in your link is a DC power supply. You want an Atari CO17945 power supply.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Genuine-Atari-Power-Adaptor-C017945-Supply-800-810-1050-disk-drive/253324376744?hash=item3afb4f3aa8:g:D90AAOSw4Z5aPGoI

s-l1600.jpg

Here are a couple of those out of the shell, showing the only thing that goes wrong with them 99% of the time...needing replacement 125V 5A fuses. These are about to have them replaced and they will be as good as new!

post-149-0-66513400-1515361037_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple of those out of the shell, showing the only thing that goes wrong with them 99% of the time...needing replacement 125V 5A fuses. These are about to have them replaced and they will be as good as new!

Awesome thank you again for the replies. Per the advice here, I'll stay with the CO17945. Luckily I got a really nice condition one for free with an 800XL auction. He didn't even list it in the auction. He thought it was for the 800XL but he also included a proper 800XL PSU. :) The 17945 that came with the 1200XL is more used and the cord rubber feels as if it has dried or 'de gassed'. It's relieving to know that there is nothing within the 17945's that goes bad over time like capacitors, etc.. Well besides rust if there is any. A fuse is easily changed yeah! Cheers.

So, are Motherboards sold as replacements being ignored? I mean, because I own 3 1200XL's, with one missing a case. But am still only listed as owning one 1200XL. I understand if it's hard to categorize, but they are real 1200XL's. They should be recorded. And I suspect there are plenty more 1200XL's out there with replacement motherboards, Best Electronics and B&C didn't sell out on my account alone.

EDIT: My bad. I just realized the last posted update was before my post quoted above, I thought it was after, so my replacement motherboards I posted about haven't been "ignored" yet... ;)

I can easily add a column for motherboard dates and revision of the board. I just don't recall there being a serial number sticker on the board. By the keyboard connector there is a week and revision sticker, and on the solder side, below the RF Modulator there is a full date sticker... and each board has their own solder etched date as well.

• Like 1

Min came with a thermally printed receipt paper taped to the RF modulator giving the exact time of birth.

Speaking of, if I do the 28-pin single chip rom mod, 1.) What rom version should I put on it, and 2.) Can I take the rom chip out of a Basic language cartridge and put it into the now empty second rom socket, do you think?

Min came with a thermally printed receipt paper taped to the RF modulator giving the exact time of birth.

Speaking of, if I do the 28-pin single chip rom mod, 1.) What rom version should I put on it, and 2.) Can I take the rom chip out of a Basic language cartridge and put it into the now empty second rom socket, do you think?

You can, but as I recall, another jumper wire or two needs to be run. Unfortunately, the long-standing retrobits 1200XL mods page with the instructions for the mod (and the single-chip OS mod, and the keyboard repair ...) appears to have gone bye-bye in just the last couple months. Hopefully someone has the info archived. :(

You can, but as I recall, another jumper wire or two needs to be run. Unfortunately, the long-standing retrobits 1200XL mods page with the instructions for the mod (and the single-chip OS mod, and the keyboard repair ...) appears to have gone bye-bye in just the last couple months. Hopefully someone has the info archived. :(

Here are a couple of upgrade/modification sites I frequent. They cover all A8's, but you mention the 1200XL single chip OS mod, which is imbedded in Bob Wooley's 1200XL PBI mod since it is a requirement for a PBI. But you are right about the keyboard repair, I don't have another source for it, but I know how to do it. I did it years ago, and I also did it for my other two 1200XL keyboards just last week, following the retrobits instructions. I guess I got lucky when I decided to relearn to do it, now fresh in my memory. Maybe I'll redo the instructions.

Main mod/upgrade page: http://www.realdos.net/HardwareProjects.html

1200XL PBI/OS mod page: http://www.realdos.net/1200xl%20PBI.html

Another good site for upgrades: http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/nir_dary_cds/Hardware%20Projects/

EDIT: I just found a Youtube video for the keyboard repair:

Edited by Gunstar