IGNORED

1200XL Owners Club (serial tracker)

kheller2

8 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

yes and they sold for about the same on ebay….   they won't get the 99.00 though... at that price you have too many other choices and solution to choose.

Wait, the full on keyboard replacements used to be 4.99?  I have some dented silver keys on my 1200.  Also would like to replace the clear plastic piece that goes over the button labels.

On another note about ebay, I saw someone selling an 800xl for 299, it has the UAV mod in it with a direct S-video and RCA outputs... my question is... why?  I mean the monitor cables are easy to find, probably just as easy to find an S-video cable... also, unless they put in a Stereo Pokey, there is no need for left/right RCA connectors... baffles me when people needlessly drill holes in the things...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kheller2 said:

Another 1200XL added today.  I also noticed that eBay is once again selling replacement keyboards for the awesome price of $99.  I so remember the days when you went into a Radio Shack and they had them on clearance for $4.99.

I purchased a number of keyboards from Princess Auto & Farm Machinery in Grande Prairie Alberta, the surplus section, for only C$1.50ea in the early 90's. I hadn't even seen a 1200XL in person at that time, but I was fairly sure that's what they were for.

Edited by BillC

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

yes and they sold for about the same on ebay….   they won't get the 99.00 though... at that price you have too many other choices and solution to choose.

The same guy sold one the same units with an open bag for $85 just a few days earlier, so I wouldn't be surprised if he sold that unopened one for $99.

It's true that it's too much money if you're just trying to repair your keyboard.  But there aren't any other sources of pristine/unused 1200XL keyboards, so from that perspective it's not unreasonable.  I'd be tempted if it were closer to $70.

Edited by jamm

5 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

gah!!!! you broke the top two pegs that hold the cart together....  always open these oss/icd carts from the top slightly first and then try to open the rest evenly using a couple of (that's 2) stiff bank/credit cards at the same time, they don't damage the plastic in any way and open it with a simple push evenly and at the same time.. it separates them nicely with no breakage every time....

The one with the black cartridge slot in post# 570 it has 3 of 4 pins broken off. On close examination it looks like this cartridge shell was glued together(there are traces of a shiny substance around the broken pins). There is a piece of the plastic pin in one of the PCB holes, broken off of both top and bottom shells.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And then there were three.  At one point, I had no less than seven complete 1200XLs and a few spare mobos and keyboards.  I've always understood that I have way too much stuff, but they were accumulated over the span of seven years.  I never intended to have so many and I finally did something about it.  I sold off two a year ago, sold off the mobos and keyboards, and in July, I sold two more complete units.  So now I am back down to three really nice units.  Still, more than a lifetimes supply.  Also in the process of selling off surplus other items that I simple have too much off.  They were just going to sit in a box in the closet and at least now, someone else will get to enjoy them.  

Sold these two units this month:

USA 1983 12 21-Mar-83 83S DA 051855 123

USA 1983 15 11-Apr-83 83S DA 008463 153

I will admit that much of the fun is finding, procuring and fixing these machines.  Life is busy and I just don't have the time right now.  I could no longer justify holding on to all that hardware knowing it will sit there as essentially dead weight on a shelf.  I'm selling off stuff, but I'm losing nothing and gaining a decent portion of a closet back.  Feels good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like your Atari is manufactured on 12 week of 1983 with unit number 5497 - not so very early but not very late also. ?

Early maschines from USA (starting with code 83S DA) 3 week of 1983 - late 22 week of 1983

The xx-x week-year (2-82, 3-83) stamp is important for age indication.

Edited by mariusz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add mine to the list.  I've owned this computer for many years but only recently learned of this thread.  The computer works except for the keyboard.  I think I need a new membrane for it.

I don't remember how much I paid for it but I got it on eBay for well under $200 USD. 

Photo Jan 22, 11 10 46 AM.jpg

Photo Jan 22, 11 10 53 AM.jpg

Photo Jan 22, 11 11 37 AM.jpg

Photo Jan 22, 11 12 11 AM.jpg

Photo Jan 22, 11 12 35 AM.jpg