IGNORED

1200XL Owners Club (serial tracker)

kheller2

• 2 weeks later...

Latest from a new lot from the computer recycler,

83S DA 72967 173

USA

This one is in bad cosmetic shape, broken key on the keyboard and aluminum strips on the case bent and missing. Will test this weekend.

Hey Yorgle..... wanna sell a case and keyboard??? LOL

List has been updated.

Larry has the earliest made unit from week 03 of 1983 (17-Jan-83 to 23-Jan-83), and bob1200xl has the latest, week 29 (18-Jul-83 to 24-Jul-83)

Do you know how long the full production run was? Six months is not much time difference between oldest and youngest machine amongst us.

Stephen Anderson

List has been updated.

Larry has the earliest made unit from week 03 of 1983 (17-Jan-83 to 23-Jan-83), and bob1200xl has the latest, week 29 (18-Jul-83 to 24-Jul-83)

Do you know how long the full production run was? Six months is not much time difference between oldest and youngest machine amongst us.

Stephen Anderson

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/section-5.html

Production was only for about six months from what everyone has gathered. The history museum might have some official numbers.

Production was only for about six months from what everyone has gathered.  The history museum might have some official numbers.

Hey Karl, do you want to update your estimates of numbers produced from post #36 in this thread?  Maybe add current estimated totals to the main post?  

Production was only for about six months from what everyone has gathered.  The history museum might have some official numbers.

Hey Karl, do you want to update your estimates of numbers produced from post #36 in this thread?  Maybe add current estimated totals to the main post?  

All signs still point to less than 120,000 units. There are some gaps in the serials, however, I've never seen a serial begin with a 6 in the US for example, so there could be less than 100,000 units.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just picked up my first 1200XL, with Percom AT88-S1 & 75 floppies on eBay earlier this month.

$39 + shipping ($120 total with shipping to Canada).

System label: USA made 83SDA016375-143

board etched: 0283/C060585/REV 13A

board S/N? label(bottom of board under cartridge slot): |||||bar-code|||||/DA102497

board QA label(to right of S/N label): HCD QA/W1P/INSP/20

keyboard label: MITSUMI/830216

This appears to be totally stock, it was sold as a game system. It doesn't appear that the RF shield had ever been removed before.

It has 28 pin OS sockets, and the 10uF axial capacitor just below the rectifier bridge bypassed.

Edited by BillC

• 4 months later...

Unearthed just yesterday...

Bob

post-14708-128338319574_thumb.jpg

From what I've read here, out of the 100,000 or so that were made, That only about 119 or so 1200XL computers survived to this day, That's a bit sad and so that makes our computers some rare stuff indeed.

I think Bob has the other 99,881!!! LOL

Unearthed just yesterday...

Bob

post-14708-128338319574_thumb.jpg

From what I've read here, out of the 100,000 or so that were made, That only about 119 or so 1200XL computers survived to this day, That's a bit sad and so that makes our computers some rare stuff indeed.

I think Bob has the other 99,881!!! LOL

It would be nice to know if the 1st and the last 1200XL made are still in existence, sigh.

• 1 month later...

Got this baby working again!!!

Made in the U.S.A. in the 15th week of 1983.

83S DA 021087 153

Given that bob1200XL has 83S DA 000399, that means the U.S. Atari factory was putting out at least ~20,000+ a month!

Just got to love that keyboard!! (When it works)

Played a BASIC game I wrote back in 1982/83 when I was 18 years old. No artifacting, but it bought back the memories!

I used to solve my algorithm problems for my guided missiles in the game "Mission Moscow" while stocking milk and beer at a local convenience store. Yah, I know, I'm a geek!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to the extreme generosity of davidcalgary29, this one is mine:

72R DA 14944 213 davidcalgary29 Taiwan 14944 1983 21 23-May-83 29-May-83

(I've had it for over a year now, actually. Thanks David!)

I've always loved the brown & cream colour scheme of the XL series. I think it's possible that the XL series was inspired - a bit, at least - by the DEC VT-100. I just bought a DEC VT-100 keyboard. See how similar it looks. (ignoring the unusual, non-standard colours)