IGNORED

Power supply connection. . .

Starhopper

:ponder: I know this has probably been hashed and re-hashed throughout the forums, and shame on me for not looking deep enough, but has anyone had any luck finding a suitable replacement for the connector for the 7800 power supply? I've tried phone battery connectors, with little luck. So far, aside from finding a power supply on eBay, the only thing I've come up with is soldering an aftermarket directly to the board or using test clips. This works fine, yes, but it's a bit antsy to have around children :roll:

:ponder: I know this has probably been hashed and re-hashed throughout the forums, and shame on me for not looking deep enough, but has anyone had any luck finding a suitable replacement for the connector for the 7800 power supply? I've tried phone battery connectors, with little luck. So far, aside from finding a power supply on eBay, the only thing I've come up with is soldering an aftermarket directly to the board or using test clips. This works fine, yes, but it's a bit antsy to have around children :roll:

You can also:

(1) install a more standard connector on the motherboard (better than soldering leads directly to the board).

or

(2) buy a new replacement supply from the AtariGuide.com store. I bought one quite a while ago and it has never given me any problems.

According to the FAQ the battery connector on some old cordless phones may work. I tried one from my old Panasonic phone, though it was spaced right and physically the right size I couldn't get it to fit. The 7800 pins seemed to large for it.

If you can solder, just put a 2600 style connector in it. Than finding a power supply will be easy.

7800 FAQ Power Supply

I would simply replace the AC adapter (and the power input jack in the console) with something newer and more common; that way, you won't have to worry about using 20-year-old transformers or dealing with broken connectors/plugs that are not easily replaceable.

New AC adapters that are suitable for the 7800 are fairly easy to find (this is the one that I use, from Mouser Electronics). The connector on that particular AC adapter is a standard 2.1 mm barrel plug, which happens to be a perfect match for the power input jacks that Radica used in their Radica Space Invaders 5-in-1 joysticks. I have a whole bunch of those jacks left over from the joystick modifications that I did (I removed them from the joysticks so I could install the 7800 joystick cables in their place). I simply removed the original Atari jack from my 7800, soldered one of the RSI jacks in its place, and plugged in the new AC adapter.

Yes,the 7800 power supply is a RARE BREED INDEED!I was lucky enough to get the ORIGINAL 7800 adapter when i found it at the thrift shop.Other than that ebay has them,thats where i get all my adapters,saves alot of time and headaches.Why did ATARI have to put those phone battery like connectors on the the adapters,seems like they like making things difficult for us!

Yes,the 7800 power supply is a RARE BREED INDEED!I was lucky enough to get the ORIGINAL 7800 adapter when i found it at the thrift shop.Other than that ebay has them,thats where i get all my adapters,saves alot of time and headaches.Why did ATARI have to put those phone battery like connectors on the the adapters,seems like they like making things difficult for us!

:P It's called 'built in demand'. OEM-specific parts means two things:

1) No one else can make them, since they are a copyrighted design, therefore,

2) You have to buy replacements from ATARI, and not Rat-Shack

The result:

If you want to fire up your old video game console, you have to be a Gyro Gearloose or an eBay scavenger (both of which I am guilty) ;)

:P It's called 'built in demand'. OEM-specific parts means two things:

1) No one else can make them, since they are a copyrighted design, therefore,

2) You have to buy replacements from ATARI, and not Rat-Shack

The result:

If you want to fire up your old video game console, you have to be a Gyro Gearloose or an eBay scavenger (both of which I am guilty) ;)

Actually, there are brand new generic power supplies out there for the 7800 now. Here's one on eBay.