IGNORED

Deco Cassette replacement.

Dav

I'm mentioning this here because I know there's a couple of guys interested in it. My wife took the kids to her parents for a week so I have some spare time and I'm going to assemble a few of my kits and do sort of a limited public beta test for $100. I didn't get around to adding nvram for hi score support and software dips. I've decided to just release what I have rather than mess around for another couple of years.

If you don't remember the kit replaces the dongle and the bios eprom. The new bios loads the cassette data from my new dongle instead of the tape. And since modern eproms can store a lot more data I went ahead and put pretty much all the available games on it. The only one I know I can't do is scrum try as the dongle for it is difficult for me to patch. All the other games have had the dongle protection patched out. I even decrypted highway chase and added it to MAME so I could use it. There are a couple of more games that I really wanted to add but Al Kossow has been hording the tapes for the last couple of years, but that's another story.

The way it works is it boots up to a menu, you select the game you want with start 1, and it loads in about 10 seconds. Then you hold the start buttons and press coin to get back to the menu. Did I mention it loads in about 10 seconds? because it loads in about 10 seconds :)

I believe it will only work on the more common smaller boardset. I haven't tested it on the older and I know the memory map is slightly different so I suspect it won't.

If this sounds like something you're interested in and you're not afraid of beta software get in touch with me as I will probably ship them in about a 7-10 days. I'm missing the header pins so I'll have to order some more, before I can finish the boards. You don't have to have an eprom programmer but it's not a bad idea if you want to get in this early. With this much patched software there's bound to be a bug or two.

Thanks,

dave@widel.com

I'm including an actual pic as the mame screen shots have completely the wrong colors compared to real hardware, although this pic isn't much better. The actual colors are the same blue and pink on the original bios.

post-1541-1179694428_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing work. You should get in touch with Arcadeshop.com or Clay Cowgill and get this to market. There is really not much enforcement on copyright issues with Data East I would imagine and the fact you single-handedly saved, oh, I don't know, EVERY Data cab from being junked is AMAZING. No sense not to make a few bucks on your efforts.

Outstanding. I know Tempest has a spare set of boards around (at least he did). I know he will be VERY happy to see your final product.

Great job, wish I still had a cab to test this in.

Cassidy

Absolutely amazing work. You should get in touch with Arcadeshop.com or Clay Cowgill and get this to market. There is really not much enforcement on copyright issues with Data East I would imagine and the fact you single-handedly saved, oh, I don't know, EVERY Data cab from being junked is AMAZING. No sense not to make a few bucks on your efforts.

Outstanding. I know Tempest has a spare set of boards around (at least he did). I know he will be VERY happy to see your final product.

Great job, wish I still had a cab to test this in.

Cassidy

Thanks, I really like this kind of work. I wish I could make a living doing it but oh well. If the beta turns out well I'll probably turn it over to Mike Doyle like I did the 96 in 1 and the multi qbert. He a people person and does a nice job with tech support and sales. I don't know how many deco machines are left anymore, though. This may not be a big seller.

Tempest, I didn't get a message from you.

I have 2 uprights and a cocktail. I really only wanted to save the upright brugertime, but this kit could save them all. THe cocktail is nice and the other is a kit into a tempest cabinet.

If you need any help to test this, let me know. I would prefer to wait for a more finished project, but as long as it might be just an eprom swap, I can burn a chip.

If this can get done in time For CA extreme, I can take the game to the show (15min drive for me).

I'm mentioning this here because I know there's a couple of guys interested in it. My wife took the kids to her parents for a week so I have some spare time and I'm going to assemble a few of my kits and do sort of a limited public beta test for $100. I didn't get around to adding nvram for hi score support and software dips. I've decided to just release what I have rather than mess around for another couple of years.

If you don't remember the kit replaces the dongle and the bios eprom. The new bios loads the cassette data from my new dongle instead of the tape. And since modern eproms can store a lot more data I went ahead and put pretty much all the available games on it. The only one I know I can't do is scrum try as the dongle for it is difficult for me to patch. All the other games have had the dongle protection patched out. I even decrypted highway chase and added it to MAME so I could use it. There are a couple of more games that I really wanted to add but Al Kossow has been hording the tapes for the last couple of years, but that's another story.

The way it works is it boots up to a menu, you select the game you want with start 1, and it loads in about 10 seconds. Then you hold the start buttons and press coin to get back to the menu. Did I mention it loads in about 10 seconds? because it loads in about 10 seconds :)

I believe it will only work on the more common smaller boardset. I haven't tested it on the older and I know the memory map is slightly different so I suspect it won't.

If this sounds like something you're interested in and you're not afraid of beta software get in touch with me as I will probably ship them in about a 7-10 days. I'm missing the header pins so I'll have to order some more, before I can finish the boards. You don't have to have an eprom programmer but it's not a bad idea if you want to get in this early. With this much patched software there's bound to be a bug or two.

Thanks,

dave@widel.com

I'm including an actual pic as the mame screen shots have completely the wrong colors compared to real hardware, although this pic isn't much better. The actual colors are the same blue and pink on the original bios.

post-1541-1179694428_thumb.jpg

If this can get done in time For CA extreme, I can take the game to the show (15min drive for me).

Funny you should mention that. I was going to try and get out to CA extreme so I could make some DECO contacts. I figure if anyone was going to know something about the DECO Cassette System it would be the people at CA Extreme.

Tempest

I have 2 uprights and a cocktail. I really only wanted to save the upright brugertime, but this kit could save them all. THe cocktail is nice and the other is a kit into a tempest cabinet.

If you need any help to test this, let me know. I would prefer to wait for a more finished project, but as long as it might be just an eprom swap, I can burn a chip.

There will probably be an eprom swap to upgrade the data. I put in instructions for you to read while you wait for the load and I know I have some typo's and some I just didn't do. The ones I found instruction cards for I typed in but a lot of them I just left. And of course there's always the possibility that I missed a protection patch somewhere and will have to fix one of the games. And maybe i'll suddenly get a bunch of free time and I'll be able to port some games over, but I wouldnt' count on it. One of my favorite games, Eggs, like almost but not quite would run w/o much work. And I think the midway version of BTime is a little different than the Deco. Anyone know? All that stuff is on two 27c040 chips on the dongle. If you don't want to burn chips that's fine, I'll send out 1 update when the code is finalized. If for some reason you're just not happy with it you can get your money back. I'd recommend not waiting to get one as sometimes I lose interest in these projects and never do a second run if they don't sell well. Like there probably won't be a production run of the multi-exidy's.

I don't think I mentioned it before but a number of the games use 2 buttons. If your cab doesn't have 2 buttons populated you'll have to add one or not be able to play some of the games.

Someone told me the cocktails have a larger boards set. It's about 2 inches taller than the uprights. Have you noticed that?

I went to CA exetreme back around 2000, I wish I could go back sometime. Tempest, You might look for Dale Luck I believe he bought out Al's collection.

I wrote something to dump the instructions that I've been adding in. I thought I might as well get some feedback before I started shipping these. I tried to copy from the instruction card or flyer where I could find one. There's a limited amount of space obviously and you only have 10 seconds to read it so I have to keep it short. If any one has any corrections or missing instructions let me know; if not this will be the instructions that ship.

Thanks,

Dave

BURGER TIME        

BUTTON 1
    PEPPER

LET'S GET COOKIN'!

DROP INGREDIENTS ON PLATE TO
MAKE HAMBURGERS. YOU ARE OUT
IF YOU TOUCH AN ENEMY.  
SPRINKLE PEPPER TO STOP
ENEMIES. TAKE BONUS TO
INCREASE YOUR SUPPLY OF
PEPPER

=============================

PETER PEPPER'S ICE CREAM
          FACTORY

BUTTON 1
    JUMP OR 
    KICK ICE CREAM DOWN 

BUTTON 2
    KICK ICE CREAM UP

BUMP 'N' JUMP 

BUTTON 1
    JUMP

MOVE LEVER TO BUMP CARS OFF
ROAD FOR POINTS.

USE JUMP TO AVOID ATTACKING
CARS, WATER AND OBSTACLES.

JUMP TO LAND ON OPPONENT'S
CARS WITH NO HARM TO YOUR OWN.

YOU MUST BE TRAVELING 100MPH
TO JUMP.

ROOTIN' TOOTIN'      

BUTTON 1
    TEMPORARY
    INVULNERABILITY

CLUSTER BUSTER     

BUTTON 1
    UP  

BUTTON 2
    ANGLE OF DEFLECTION

KEEP HITTING BALL OR IT WILL
FALL THRU BOTTOM.

USE UP BUTTON TO LIFT SCREEN.

USE BOUNCER BUTTON TO CHANGE
ANGLE OF BOUNCE.

TORNADO         

BUTTON 1
    SHOOT                   

BUTTON 2
    BOMB             

LOCK 'N' CHASE

BUTTON 1
    LOCK

USE THE LEVER TO MOVE THE
LUPIN THRU THE MAZE PICKING
UP GOLD COINS. 
PUSH THE BUTTON TO CLOSE THE
SHUTTERS BEHIND TO LOCK THEM
UP. 
THERE ARE 2 MYSTERY ZONES
WHERE BONUS IS AWARDED FOR
TRAPPING.   

NIGHT STAR

BUTTON 1
    SHOOT  

BUILD THE SPACE STATION,
NIGHT STAR CITY AND THE DEEP
SPACE DOCK

A BONUS SPACECRAFT TO
COMPLETE EACH OF THEM.

IF YOU RESCUE A SPACEMAN WHO
FLOATS BY IN SPACE, YOU'LL
TURN YOUR WEAPON INTO A
LASER GUN

SUPER ASTRO FIGHTER   

BUTTON 1
    FIRE

DESTROY ALL UFOS AND THE
SPACE MASTER BEFORE YOUR FUEL
RUNS OUT. WATCH OUT YOUR FUEL
 IS LIMITED AND THE SPACE
 MASTERS ATTACK IS DEADLY. 

SWEET HEART      

BUTTON 1
    FREEZE                     

DANCE A SQUARE AROUND THE
DISCO CHARACTERS.

PUSH BUTTON TO FREEZE
RUFFIANS, ONLY A LIMITED
NUMBER OF TIMES.

TERRANEAN        

BUTTON 1
    SHOOT

BUTTON 2
    LAUNCH/EXPLODE
    FLASH BOMB          

YOU ARE COMMANDED TO DEFEND
TERRA FROM ALIEN ATTACK.
ALLOW NO ALIEN RAIDER THROUGH
TO SHATTER THE PEACH OF
QUIETLY REVOLVING TERRA.

FIGHTING ICE HOCKEY   

BUTTON 1

BUTTON 2

MISSION X       

BUTTON 1
    BOMB OR SHOOT           

FLY IN LOW TO DANGER/
    AND SUSPENSE

ASTRO FANTASIA      

BUTTON 1
    FIRE

YOUR BATTLE IN THE ASTRO ZONE
COMES TO AN EXCITING CLIMAX
WHEN THE GIANT ASTROGEN
APPEARS.  YOU NEED 6 DIRECT
HITS TO DESTROY IT AND YOUR
FUEL IS RUNNING OUT.

BOULDER DASH      

BUTTON 1 AND 2
    EXPLODE

ROCKFORD DIGS FEVERISHLY, AS
BOULDERS CRASH DOWN ALL
AROUND HIM, THROUGH 16
MYSTICAL CAVES AND FIVE
LEVELS OF DIFFICULTY.

TEST TAPE        

USE THE SERVICE SWITCH
ON THE PCB TO ADVANCE TO THE
NEXT TEST. 

DONGLE VERSION 1.00

WWW.WIDEL.COM

LUCKY POKER   

BUTTON 1
    RED BUTTON

BUTTON 2
    BLUE BUTTON    

FLYING BALL      

BUTTON 1
    PUSH                    

BUTTON 2
    ANGLE OF DEFLECTION

PRO GOLF      

BUTTON 1
    SHOOT

MOVE LEVER U OR D TO SELECT
CLUB.

MOVE LEVER R/L TO HOOK/SLICE.

WATCH DISTANCE INDICATOR TO
JUDGE POWER OF STROKE.

IF YOU SHOOT OVER PAR YOU
LOSE ONE GOLFER.

PRO SOCCER    

BUTTON 1
    LONG PASS/GOAL SHOT

BUTTON 2
    SHORT PASS OR
    CENTERING PASS

PRO TENNIS    

BUTTON 1

PRO BOWLING   

BUTTON 1
    BOWL

MOVE LEVER L/R TO POSITION
BOWLER.

MOVE LEVER U/D TO CURVE OR
HOOK THE BALL.

WATCH SPEED METER ON LEFT.

PUSH RED BUTTON TO BOWL.      

TREASURE ISLAND