IGNORED

Jaguar vs. 32X?

Do The Math

The Jag was/is not on par with the Saturn's 3D... Maybe with a 68020 or 30 it would be close.

Yes it is on par with Saturn. You will all see the true power of your litle black cat someday.

Until then...I say NO WAY! :P I mean, about a year after the Saturn's launch, the 3D games starting looking damn near as good as the Playstation's 3D games! The Jag does have some pretty nice 3D games, but I dunno...

The Saturn and the Jaguar have very comparable specs, with the key difference being that the Saturn relies on the venerable VDP chip (two of them, in fact) rather than a custom raster chip like the Jaguar used. The Saturn's design is just as messed up as the Jags, with two major exceptions:

1. Sega didn't put a chip in that cut the bus in a quarter and the clock speed in half; then make everyone think that it was the primary method of coding for the system.

2. Sega had serious developer support from both internal and external developers. These developers were willing to put up with the machine's many quirks and failings to achieve decent games.

The 32 x was the winner if we only look at the gaming standpoint, in the short year it was out it produced more games than the Jag's whole lifetime and More A List titles than the Jag. I mean think about it it had Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighting, MK2, World Series Baseball, RBI Baseball, Star Wars Arcade, Great Holes Starring Fred Couples....Granted they only made 50 or so games but if you picked Jag's top 50 games and put them up against the list below just to pick the system w/ the best list of games you would want to play...tell me which system would win.

[edit] A

After Burner (After Burner Complete)

[edit] B

BC Racers

Blackthorne

Brutal Unleashed: Above the Claw

[edit] C

College Basketball

Corpse Killer (used in conjunction with Sega CD)

Cosmic Carnage

Cyber Brawl

[edit] D

Darxide

Doom

[edit] F

Fahrenheit (used in conjunction with Sega CD)

Fifa Soccer '96

[edit] K

Knuckles' Chaotix

Kolibri

[edit] M

Metal Head

Mortal Kombat II

Motocross Championship

[edit] N

NBA Jam Tournament Edition

NFL Football

NFL Quarterback Club

NFL Quarterback Club '95

Night Trap (used in conjunction with Sega CD)

[edit] P

Parasquad

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Primal Rage

[edit] R

RBI Baseball '95

[edit] S

Sangokushi IV (aka Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire)

Shadow Squadron

Slam City (used in conjunction with Sega CD)

Soul Star X (used in conjunction with Sega CD)

Space Harrier

Spider-Man: Web of Fire

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

Star Wars Arcade

Stellar Assault

Super Motocross

Supreme Warrior (used in conjunction with Sega CD)

[edit] T

T-Mek

Tempo

Toughman Contest

[edit] V

Virtua Fighter

Virtua Racing Deluxe

[edit] W

World Series Baseball '95

WWF RAW

WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game

[edit] Z

Zaxxon's MotherBase 2000

The 32x does nothing that the Jag couldn't do FAR better. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of facts. Just cause the Jag doesn't have software out *yet* that makes this obvious to "Joe Gamer" doesn't mean it's not 100 percent factually true. Like Gorf said, in time the homebrew scene will show the true power inside the Jag so it will not be compaired to petty 32x games but rather in rival with more suited consoles to compair agenst like the Saturn.

The 32x does nothing that the Jag couldn't do FAR better. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of facts. Just cause the Jag doesn't have software out *yet* that makes this obvious to "Joe Gamer" doesn't mean it's not 100 percent factually true. Like Gorf said, in time the homebrew scene will show the true power inside the Jag so it will not be compaired to petty 32x games but rather in rival with more suited consoles to compair agenst like the Saturn.

thats right buddy :cool: JAGUAR RULES!!!!

I think the Jag has more good games than the 32X...Not by much though. And the Jag just has a cooler feeling to it, and the graphics and sound are better. ;) And this coming from someone who had a Jag AND 32X back in 1994... ;)

The Jag was/is not on par with the Saturn's 3D... Maybe with a 68020 or 30 it would be close.

Yes it is on par with Saturn. You will all see the true power of your litle black cat someday.

I LOVE IT WHEN HE TALKS LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Frog - stop talking dirty to Buddy :-o :rolling:

Seems like a pointless argument to me. Both the 32X and the Jaguar have some great games and some real dogs.

It's like arguing who's hotter, Miss September or Miss October. Wouldn't you rather play with them both??

I LOVE IT WHEN HE TALKS LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Frog - stop talking dirty to Buddy :-o :rolling:

:cool: that Froggy never knows when to quit,LOL!!! ribbit,ribbit,ribbit........

Seems like a pointless argument to me. Both the 32X and the Jaguar have some great games and some real dogs.

It's like arguing who's hotter, Miss September or Miss October. Wouldn't you rather play with them both??

Yeah! That's true! and since Sega is such a quality gaming company, I have been considering a Saturn or 32x, also because like was said before were all not 13 year olds any more and coming up with $50 for a older Sega system and games isn't too difficult. Both is better.

Yeah! That's true! and since Sega is such a quality gaming company, I have been considering a Saturn or 32x, also because like was said before were all not 13 year olds any more and coming up with $50 for a older Sega system and games isn't too difficult. Both is better.

heard that buddy,the only problem i have found is that their is never enough time to play them all, that why i have chosen the jaggy,if i have time to play them its gonna be the jaguar :cool: ,but hell both is better...... :cool:

heard that buddy,the only problem i have found is that their is never enough time to play them all, that why i have chosen the jaggy,if i have time to play them its gonna be the jaguar ,but hell both is better......

True that! ;) So many women & game systems so little time for them all. :P That's probably why I haven't purchased any other classic systems yet because I don't want to take gametime away from the Jag, since I want to finish some Jag games I have been playing sporadically for years.

And Gorf: you have made several comments in this thread on the inner workings of the Jaguar with some detailed information about what's involved in programming it, I find this very interesting. :) Although software makes a system, I think Jaguar hardware facts and info are enjoyable to read. It's cool to know what's going on behind the scenes of the games I play on the Jag:) Thanks for the insights. ;)

Edited by ovalbugmann

heard that buddy,the only problem i have found is that their is never enough time to play them all, that why i have chosen the jaggy,if i have time to play them its gonna be the jaguar ,but hell both is better......

That true! ;) So many women & game systems so little time for them all. :P That's probably why I haven't purchased any other classic systems yet because I don't want to take gametime away from the Jag, since I want to finish some Jag games I have been playing sporadically for years.

And Gorf: you have made several comments in this thread on the inner workings of the Jaguar with some detailed information about what's involved in programming it, I find this very interesting. :) Although software makes a system, I think Jaguar hardware facts and info are enjoyable to read. It's cool to know what's going on behind the scenes of the games I play on the Jag:) Thanks for the insights. ;)

GORF is great person to have around :cool: we are lucky to have him in the community! he knows alot!!

FWIW, the JAG has everything it needs to do 3D graphics:
  • A High Performance Microprocessor
  • Bitmap Scaling and Rotation
  • Z-Buffering
  • Shading

What the Jag does NOT have is dedicated texture mapping hardware. Unlike the PSX and Saturn, the Jag must perform all texture mapping in code. That's why all Jag games with full texture mapping run so sluggishly (raycast engines notwithstanding).

Like Gorf said, in time the homebrew scene will show the true power inside the Jag so it will not be compaired to petty 32x games but rather in rival with more suited consoles to compair agenst like the Saturn.

Battlesphere is the final word on Jaguar 3D. Nobody will ever out-code 4-Play. What you see in Battlesphere is the top end, period.

What the Jag does NOT have is dedicated texture mapping hardware. Unlike the PSX and Saturn, the Jag must perform all texture mapping in code. That's why all Jag games with full texture mapping run so sluggishly (raycast engines notwithstanding).

*cough*Affine texture mapping*cough*

:roll:

The Jag is perfectly capable of rendering 2D images scaled and rotated. Ergo, it can texture map using the exact same method that the Saturn uses: drawing 3D objects on screen as distorted sprites.

Raycasting is nothing special as far as 3D rendering goes. By constraining the textures to fit along the X and Y axes, the rendering engine can quickly churn through a list of texture slivers rather than trying to scale and skew a complete 2D texture. In addition, the "casting" method eliminates overdraw without performing a computationally expensive sort.

Of course, raycasters are incredibly limiting due to the aforementioned constraints. Thus the reason for their short life in the market. (Though kudos go to 3D Realms for keeping the Build engine in use for an ungodly long period of time.)

Edited by jbanes

The beauty and true advantage to the Tom chip was that is was not

hard wired to draw 3d. If it were it would hardly be as flexable, also like today's video

card accelerators.

Sure. That flexibility shows through in stuff like Tempest 2000. It can do some very cool 2D effects. However, time has shown that it doesn't yield much in the way of 3D no matter what you do with it. As it was, the Jaguar chips were to 3D as something like the Apple II hardware was to 2D vs. the Atari 800.

FWIW, the JAG has everything it needs to do 3D graphics:
  • A High Performance Microprocessor
  • Bitmap Scaling and Rotation
  • Z-Buffering
  • Shading

Um kinda but not exactly. The Jaguar does have a software assisted harware. No

you can not tell the blitter to draw a triangle in one command, but you can tell it

with several commands to do so line by line, and there for have incredible flexibilty

over dedicated polygon drawing. The blitter is very fast. The gpu need only be

interrupted to reload it every line. However this is the real reason why most texture

mapped games are sluggish...

68k code all over the place!!!!!!

....Also most code out there, if they indeed use Atari's 3D examples as a basis

are loading the blitter with the GPU, stopping and waiting for the blitter to

finish, instead of letting the GPU prepare the next line and other things

(and there is plenty of time between lines to do other things as well).

Complete laziness! It would not take much to write a reasonable interrupt driven

polygon drawing routine that NEVER halts the GPU. The other issue arises is that

NO ONE at Atari realized you CAN run code out of main ram and jump back and

forth between MAIN and local RAM. They said it was not possible. It's not only

possible, is a heck of a lot more efficient and will eliminate local code flipping.

Every 4k of code you flip per frame eats up at least 2000 cycles. That is a lot of

cycles...ask any 2600 coder. When I first made the Astro battle 3D level in the Jag,

I used Atari's examples to the letter. I got 10 FPS and 12 when I shot most of the

invaders off the screen. I then moved all the 68k code to the GPU adding more

modules to flip but I was getting 15-20 fps. Then we moved everything to the GPU

except the main loop which was still doing the vblank. That got us 20-30 average.

Now this is still using Atari's renderer. We then discovered the main code fix

and was getting us 30- 60 with more polys on screen. We now know we can

once we get to it that is, not only tripple our polygon count but add effecient

textures and maintain a respectable 30- 60 FPS. The Jag's undedicated flexibility

is yes harder to obtain a decent frame rate if coded inefficiently but much more

able and plenty fast enough for decent texture mapping if done right.

Hover Strike CD shows that t-mapping on the Jag is definitely superior in quality and

MUCH harder to obatin on the PS1 which uses 'dedicated' hardware and poor quality

affine t-mapping. HSCD was mostly 68k in the main loop. There is SOOOO much more

horsepower availabe yet and this decision was no doubt a rush job, even though it was

a cart first! Go figure. For its time, the Tom and Jerry was quite a chipset and is still a great

basis for a modern version with some fixes. Oberon was definitely a step in the right direction.

We are still working on a new assembler that allows main code and main to local jumps

with the GPU. The assembler will be written in such a way as to completely discourage

68k code from being used in the main loop at all and only for in between level stuff and

assiting with and cut scenes and that kinda silliness. The performance differences are

very noticable and we've not even recoded the renderer yet.

You cant expect old school 68k coders to know how to take advantage of a multi-

processing system. Most will and did use the RISC as support chips only...very sad.

Gorfy

Edited by Gorf

....Also most code out there, if they indeed use Atari's 3D examples as a basis

are loading the blitter with the GPU, stopping and waiting for the blitter to

finish, instead of letting the GPU prepare the next line and other things

(and there is plenty of time between lines to do other things as well).

Complete laziness! It would not take much to write a reasonable interrupt driven

polygon drawing routine that NEVER halts the GPU.

Apart from a few troubles with internal reads (you'll see what i mean) i found doing this to be quite helpful at speeding up my poly engine.

A word of caution concerning running RISC code from main... the speed is HUGELY influenced by how heavily you're hitting the BUS with the blitter, DSP etc. There is a balancing act to consider here.

I would also say that the best the jag has to offer... i believe... has not been seen yet.