IGNORED

For a rarity 6 game Espial is sure commanding some big prices

Atari2600Lives

Its not even one of the rarer Tigervision games. 6 is fine for this one.

Indeed, besides, like Marco said, some guy found like 200 of these NIB. Me as well as Tempest bought it from that guy for $40 + shipping. Now Miner II on the other hand, or Springer, but not Espial. ;)

Indeed, besides, like Marco said, some guy found like 200 of these NIB. Me as well as Tempest bought it from that guy for $40 + shipping. Now Miner II on the other hand, or Springer, but not Espial. ;)

Thats what I find amazing - i bought 5th Ghost's Miner II late last year for a lot less than the current "going rate" of Espial, yet Miner II is supposed to be much rarer - It doesnt make any sense

You all are forgetting that us video game collecting types are crazy. Of COURSE it doesn't make sense. If it did, everyone would be selling me copies of Quadrum for a buck fifty. At least, that would make sense to me... :lust:

Wow, you are way off on this one. Miner II is way more common than Espial. Atari2600.com advertised how they had a dozen of these games for sale in the video game collector. You can make an argument about Springer. But Miner II is not that rare. Remember I was offering $65 for this game and not a single person was willing to sell me one. Also a find of 200 is not much when you consider how many Atari 2600 collectors there are out there. In no way this is a rarity 6 I spent too much time and effort just trying to get one. For me a rarity 6 game is one that can be had at anytime you want it. Some online place or Ebay would have it always available if it was a rarity 6. Anything that takes 3 months of actively trying to get, is not a rarity 6. This is a rarity 8 game. I know for fact that I could easily get half of the rarity 8 games in less than a week.

Edit: In fact if you go on Atari2600.com right now you will find 4 Miner II's an 8, a 9, and a 10. Most likely he has more in reserves. If you look for Espial you will find nothing. Go on Ebay and you will find a Miner II right now. Ebay does not have an Espial right now(no surprise there).

Edited by homerwannabee

Wow, you are way off on this one. Miner II is way more common than Espial. Atari2600.com advertised how they had a dozen of these games for sale in the video game collector. You can make an argument about Springer. But Miner II is not that rare. Remember I was offering $65 for this game and not a single person was willing to sell me one. Also a find of 200 is not much when you consider how many Atari 2600 collectors there are out there. In no way this is a rarity 6 I spent too much time and effort just trying to get one. For me a rarity 6 game is one that can be had at anytime you want it. Some online place or Ebay would have it always available if it was a rarity 6. Anything that takes 3 months of actively trying to get, is not a rarity 6. This is a rarity 8 game. I know for fact that I could easily get half of the rarity 8 games in less than a week.

Edit: In fact if you go on Atari2600.com right now you will find 4 Miner II's an 8, a 9, and a 10. Most likely he has more in reserves. If you look for Espial you will find nothing. Go on Ebay and you will find a Miner II right now. Ebay does not have an Espial right now(no surprise there).

I think he means CIB :) I have rarely seen CIB Miner 2049er 2 for sale. I have seen quite a few Espials and even owned one. Loose though yes, Miner 2049er 2 seems to be a lot more common.

I think he means CIB :) I have rarely seen CIB Miner 2049er 2 for sale. I have seen quite a few Espials and even owned one. Loose though yes, Miner 2049er 2 seems to be a lot more common.

Remember the Atariage rarity guide is based on how rare a game is not how rare it is boxed. On Miner 2049er 2 boxed being rarer than Espial, than yes I can agree on that point. As far as I know there have been no major Miner 2049er 2 finds. Nowhere though does the rarity guide talk about how often the game is boxed as being the deciding factor on how rare a game is. As far as total games boxed and loose Espial is the hands down winner in this regard.

I think I got one of those espials years ago. Miner 2 is hard to find boxed, easy loose. I think If I dug around Atari age I could find a post from a few years ago when I got my Miner 2 off ebay boxed. I think it was around $150 or maybe less but a few people thought that was high but just wait and see. Springer was the last one I got boxed to finish my collection that was super hard to find I see its boxed future going over $300 everytime. Tigervision is a great looking collection loose and amazing boxed.

I should just stop takling to people who collect loose games all together. LOL - J/K

Oh, and I don't give a rats about the AA rarity guide at all. I know what is rare and what is not, I don't really care about numbers anymore.

I've had roughly 30 Espial's in the last 9 years, probably an equal amount of Miner II's. Just because YOU had a rough time getting one, doesn't mean anything. While you were still looking for one, I saw 3 hidden in eBay auctions. :P

BTW, I have seen less CIB gray boxed Hangman's for sale in the last 9 years, than Atlantis II's.

I should just stop takling to people who collect loose games all together. LOL - J/K

Oh, and I don't give a rats about the AA rarity guide at all. I know what is rare and what is not, I don't really care about numbers anymore.

I've had roughly 30 Espial's in the last 9 years, probably an equal amount of Miner II's. Just because YOU had a rough time getting one, doesn't mean anything. While you were still looking for one, I saw 3 hidden in eBay auctions. :P

BTW, I have seen less CIB gray boxed Hangman's for sale in the last 9 years, than Atlantis II's.

The first sentence makes you look like a big time box snob :P

In response to the second sentence. Hmm seems like you are using numbers in your third sentence ;)

In response to sentence number 3. Thanks for not telling me about the 3 hidden Espials. :P

In response to sentence number 4. Well I have also accounted for more Video Lifes than Atlantis II's. I guess that means that a gray boxed Hangman is rarer than a Video Life and Atlantis II. By the way, I have this strange feeling that if a gray boxed hangman were sold on Ebay for say $800, that we would a whole lot more gray boxed hangmans showing up on Ebay.

It's amazing, but Espial on ANY platform, be it Atari 2600, TI-99/4a, C-64 or whatever, seems to go for an awful lot these days. I understand its particularly unusual nature on the TI-99/4a (being an expansion module rather than a traditional cartridge), but I don't get quite what's so intriguing on some of the other platforms...

It's amazing, but Espial on ANY platform, be it Atari 2600, TI-99/4a, C-64 or whatever, seems to go for an awful lot these days. I understand its particularly unusual nature on the TI-99/4a (being an expansion module rather than a traditional cartridge), but I don't get quite what's so intriguing on some of the other platforms...

Beats me Bill.

Gameplay is so not worth it.

But hey whatever floats your boat I guess.

I think Espial is more common than Miner II. I think Miner II is more popular so it get's pulled and auctioned seperately more times than Espial, which is why you see more occurrences of Miner II being offered than Espial. There's a simple fact that we know that lots of nib Espials were sold off in recent years, even though they may not be circulating of late, they are still accounted for.

$200 for a rarity 6 game is not unheard of before either. I've seen these prices before. It really just depends on who is bidding and how baddly they wanted it for their collection.

• 4 months later...

It's a shame. I grew up playing TI-99/4a games and 2nd to Microsurgeon, Espial was one of my favorites. I loved the unique shape of the sidecar cartridge, and the game itself. I couldn't remember the name so I just relocated it today going through game names. I wouldn't have figured it out at all if it hadn't been one of the few sidecar games. SO I thought I'd try to buy it to re-live that experience. All my searches brought up no-one selling this, and now I read that it can go for $200 plus, I probably won't be getting it, but it sucks because I really liked it.... Maybe in a few years people will lose interest and the price will go down....

I think Espial is more common than Miner II. I think Miner II is more popular so it get's pulled and auctioned seperately more times than Espial, which is why you see more occurrences of Miner II being offered than Espial. There's a simple fact that we know that lots of nib Espials were sold off in recent years, even though they may not be circulating of late, they are still accounted for.

$200 for a rarity 6 game is not unheard of before either. I've seen these prices before. It really just depends on who is bidding and how baddly they wanted it for their collection.