IGNORED

ML Monitor

Jetboot Jack

I'm used to MAC65 on my 8bit system as a dev environement, or MADMAC on the ST, but now I've started to use a PC cross assembler (XASM) and Atari800win - which is a super sweet system, and works REALLY well...

But what monitor program to use - under emulation DDT springs to mind...

Ideally I'd like a non memory resident one (works thru the emulator) - but the one in Atari800win is not really that useful - what are other people using ???

sTeVE

Ideally I'd like a non memory resident one (works thru the emulator) - but the one in Atari800win is not really that useful - what are other people using ???

What is 'not really that useful'? What are you missing? I'm happy with it, of course, with few changes... Nothing prevents you to add few commands if you like, source is available and easily compilable.

Hi Steve,

I've found that A800Win's debugger is acceptable for development, the pain in the ass for me was the single step function (window disappears and then asks if you want to debug?!) and the lack of trace. So I added my own trace command to spool output to a file (this came in handy when debugging the 3D routines in Elite :-) I haven't put this into Plus3.0 yet but could send you the code or a replacement exe if you like.

The only other option I can suggest would be to install an Omnimon ROM image into the emulator ;-)

Regards,

Mark

Sorry I have no useful info on this. I just use the built in monitor too. Single step sorely missed from DDT. Luckily cross-assemblers are fast for generating test code...

But I had to ask Mark about that mention of Elite though! I heard there was a demo of Elite for Atari 8-bit a while back. Is this the same thing and is it something you're still working on?

Chris

:)

well... should programming, too... but post E3 stress at work (yeah... christmas season coming...thank god...our ps2 game gods >80% reviews...) ;)

jet boot... i bought neverwinter nights (well.. because of BG2 and Atari... ;)) and yesterday played 9 hours dungeon siege...which is no role playing game at all...but fun...seems like a 3d diablo2... i love the donkey...did really no body came to this idea before??? ;)

sorry... back to ML mon.... maybe fox can do some mods on atari800win...

hve

All,

Trace and Single Step are exactly what I'm looking for !!!

Hm, too bad my branch of emu is too different to the official one. I have partial Soft-Ice commands: BPX (breakpoint), BPMB (memory access), BPR (access on range), S (single step). I don't have trace yet. But I don't see how these could be wired into official emu.

One thing on the 'list of things to do' ;-) was to allow the loading of the label file produced by CC65's linker such that debugging would be even simpler! This doesn't look too tricky as the existing labels are hard-coded in a simple lookup table, add a check for the loaded stuff first, if its not there then use the existing one. I just need to write a small parser to get the data in.

As for Elite, the demo I produced seems a little while ago now but I do aim to get back to it around Sep/Oct. So far the demo hasn't required any 'game' loop and I'm not doing any VBI work like keyboard processing etc. The move from the C64 is a bit fiddly, pity we can't scan the keyboard like they can :-( The aim of the next demo will be to the get the ship out of the station so you can have a fly around and to also give a free run on the local and galaxy maps so that you can select any planet for its info. I might even try and get a tune in too :-)

The ATR was available at:

http://www.bigfoot.com/~elitearc/c1061100.zip

Those functions would be awesome!!!!

Wouldn't a developer version of Atari800win be a good release for the whole community??

My branch of emu is based on dos 0.9.x version. So it's about 2 (or even more) years old. I could give new monitor code to anyone, but it uses completely different memory handling model, making it totally unusable in official emu.

My reply is: write it. For experienced C programmer it's matter of few hours.

Quite hostile there Jindroush - "My reply is: write it. For experienced C programmer it's matter of few hours."

If I were an experienced C/PC programmer I would (you don’t want to see my 8086) - although I use C++ (in Visual Studio at that) regularly - it’s primarily as an AI tool (predefined functions etc) - and therefore I don't have the wherewithal to undertake such a project.

I wasn’t asking for YOU to write it, I was asking what exists out there right now, what other use and recommend – not just your personal, custom tool – clearly there is nothing above what I already use :)

Thanks all for the replies – I’ll live with what I have and use DDT for now…

sTeVE

jet boot: spoke yesterday with fox...(talking about our new demo but not about the debugger thing...but i will today...)

re elite: the link seems to be broken

re dungeon siege... it is my feeling, too that it will bore me before i have it through... the actual character design is not so good as it is in the bioware's products... as i grew up with ultima 3+4 on atari 8bit...little bit too less... ;)

hve

ps. if some of you may interested in generell game programming visit www.gamasutra.com (i love to be there...)

Quite hostile there Jindroush - "My reply is: write it. For experienced C programmer it's matter of few hours."

Sorry, I was told that many times: my english is not that bad, but I sound harsh. I've never learned those nice words around hard truth <g>

You were asking for solution and I presented you one.

i have just downloaded the atari elite demo...

looks quite impressive. has someone compared the speed with the original c64 elite?

ì believe that the drawing can be improved... right now it does not use double buffering. and i guess the clear screen routine is not the best one...

and maybe the draw_line itself could be optimised, f.e. while using scanlines with 256 bytes length instead of standard 40/32 bytes one...

but again...very impressive...

hve

Did the performance justifications to death on newsgroups last year... :wink:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...1.13050%40wards

Running side by side in emulators gives about the same speed (even the C64 flickers), A8 is slightly faster due to not having the delays to not redraw in the display area.

Interesting idea about the scan lines, but the 32 wide math is pretty much OK. With 256 there would be alot of redundant area in which data/code would have to be slotted which would be a pain in the A** to manage. Page-flipping had a big hit on performance as the time to clear the screen was a pain. I have some other ideas along those lines as the original Elite code keeps the last set of draw-instructions with which it does the erase. If I hold a second history I could overdraw the buffered page and then flip :)

But lets get the game working first eh?

Regards,

Mark