IGNORED

Top 25 Lynx games of all time

Damon Plus

Runner-ups:
Crystal Mines 2: I loved the first set of levels that resembled Boulderdash the most, but it lost me later. It gets very hard very suddenly. I have the DS one with all the additional stages which I keep meaning to dig into. My opinion on this could change if the harder stages click for me.

Forgot to add/remind you that Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure is available for the Lynx, so there's no need to fret if you're anxious about running out of levels. :)

I really liked it (along with STUN Runner) when it was new. It's like Grand Theft: Auto Chinatown Wars Zero: Arcade Edition: Pocket

I loooooved it in the arcade, and enjoyed the DOS port. I'm not sure why I don't have it yet!

Forgot to add/remind you that Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure is available for the Lynx, so there's no need to fret if you're anxious about running out of levels. :)

Hehe it's the opposite right now for me: I got totally stuck on level 10 and never could pass it! I think that was the one. Somehow I thought I got further.

Someone mentioned Tournament Cyberball.. wow that's one I should give a chance. I do like some of those future or arcade sports games like Speedball 2 and NFL Blitz. It looks like another solid port.

I've got a Top 30 Lynx Games article submission recently, that will be published soon. It's revised for 2018/19 so I'm expecting there are some homebrews in there (haven't read it yet so it will be as much of a surprise for me as for all the readers)

• Like 1

I love pinball. As a teenager, there were very few pinball machines in the area. That's why I played a lot with the Lynx Pinball Jam. But really only the Elvira table. I thought it was great that the table really existed. In addition, the voice output was pretty nice.

I wrote, I listed it after my most played games ...

Toki is a very nice arcade implementation. Except for the Amiga variant of my knowledge, the only one that comes close to the Arcade.

I mean look at the Mega Drive version, compared to the Arcade version.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/16/2019 at 11:21 AM, davidcalgary29 said:

My top 5 homebrew/post-Atari releases:

1. Alpine Games

2. Loopz

3. Wyvern Tales

4. Zaku

5. Raiden

I’ve heard mixed reviews for Raiden, though it was one of my favorites on other platforms. Where can I even get a Lynx copy these days?

3 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

I’ve heard mixed reviews for Raiden, though it was one of my favorites on other platforms. Where can I even get a Lynx copy these days?

There's nothing wrong with Raiden for the Lynx beyond the fact that it doesn't contain in-game music. That's a real shame, because the Jag port's rock score is excellent. Do be sure to get a copy from Carl and/or Pete at Telegames UK, though, because some of the unauthorized carts out there on eBay are earlier betas that have game-crashing bugs and/or incomplete levels.

• 5 months later...

OK, I'll bite. I am going to fib slightly to put some games on the scoreboard that I think deserve to be on there. Maybe the OP hasn't been updated in a long time, but these could still use a little more press.

1. Loopz - is this a perfectly balanced puzzler? Maybe not. But is it the must-play puzzler on the Lynx? I think so. Like many of you, I spent a lot of time with Pipe Dream and clones many years ago, hating it and wishing that something was different about it. This is the game all those games wanted to be.

2. Joust - OK, there are compromises to this port, but this and STUN Runner were my killer apps on the Lynx in high school. I've sunk so many hours into them that... I really probably would have been better off sinking into something else.

3. Super Asteroids and Missile Command - my favorite version of Missile Command. Super Asteroids isn't as good as the 7800 version but it's still good fun.

4. Blockout - this 3D Tetris is mind-bending. I really wish the 3DS had gotten an update of this - the lack of depth perception is its only flaw.

5. Ishido - Objectively, is this the fifth most impressive software on the Lynx? No. But it is 110% successful at what it tries for, and that means people should give it a chance.

6. Hydra - OK, so is this basically halfway between RoadBlasters and Turbo Sub and not quite as good as either? Yes. But is it still also really fun? Yes. And is it dirt cheap? It sure is. This should come with every Lynx sold today.

7. Rampage - This is my favorite version of Rampage, and it features the best Rampage character ever.

8. A Bug's Trip - This Ladybug homage is a little slow but really enjoyable to me.

9. Cybervirus - This, like the very similar BattleWheels and Battlezone 2000 2000, is just stunning to see on the Lynx. I haven't gotten super far in either the original or the Lost Missions, so I don't know which one I prefer yet.

10. Hockey - It's amazing what a full-featured hockey game this is, and how well it plays. Is Activision's Ice Hockey on the 2600 more fun? It is, but I feel that way about pretty much all of the other hockey games ever made.

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...