IGNORED

California Atari's going to dump! Save it now!

kheller2

Just saw this on comp.sys.atari.8bit.

Please someone grab this stuff! Respond on the Usenet groups.

Mike Andruschak

May 28, 5:23 pm

Let's see.... I has a pile of junk, a pair of Atari 800's, and 800

XL, a 1200 XL, and a 130 XE. (the 800 XL I could manage to get

working to the TV set.) A 'new' keyboard for the 800 XL, A tape

drive, a 820 disk drive, a 1050 disk drive, five RANA drives in

various stages of decomposition, altho' one of them actually managed

to boot a DOS disk! Not bad for 20+ year old disks and drives. A

pair of 850 interfaces, an ICD MIO (Multi I/O) interface with 256K

RAM, serial, parallel, and SCSI/SASI interface (I had used this to

run my BBS on an 80 Meg HD) a Volksmodem (with cables!) a pair of

Atari 830 accoustic modems (one boxed), an Atari 1030 modem, a boxed

pair of Atari Wireless remote joysticks, a Koala Pad with a

Koalapainter cartridge, and a pitiful assortment of cartridges,

including a pair of BASIC-XL carts. Everything looks like it has been

moldering in the garage for a couple of decades -- which it was.

$20 for delivery within 10 miles of Gardena, CA -- which could be a

business establishment you have called to arrange packing and shipping

from. Offer expires at 4pm on June 1st when it goes to the dump.

It's unfortunate that he couldn't just Ebay it. What I did when I decided to junk extra Amigas I couldn't justify keeping was to remove all the 6800x0s and the custom chips. There are probably enough motherboards left in circulation that junking the motherboard and case is no great sin, but there is or will be a need for working replacement chips. I think anyone who junks old hardware should do the same.

There's been a few different 'mass dumping' posts on AA that I responded to attempting to save everything. One person never got back to me, another got back to me then decided everything was worth selling piecemeal, then said it was going to the dump, and then never got back to me.

Bad track record :(

Hardware saved!!!!!! I got a call from Mike this morning and will be heading down to pick it up in 2 weeks. I'm glad this stuff didn't get trashed. He said he didn't do a whole lot of testing on the stuff but only the 800XL booted. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. When I get it, I will test the condition of everything and let everyone know. There are probably parts that people can use.

:thumbsup: Nice one Guitarman, that would have been a real shame if that little lot got dumped. He said they'd been "moldering" in the garage, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what some of the people on here have come across.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, made it down to Long Beach this last weekend and picked up this collection. He was not lying. The hardware is in pretty bad shape but I think it is all salvageable. I will take pics of the collection as is so you can see how horrible the hardware looks, and then document with pics, the cleaning and restoration process. Did get some more fairly rare items in the lot, 2 Basic XL carts, 1 Basic XE cart, MIO, SCSI to MFM HDD controller to use with the MIO. The owner use to run the Swamp BBS in the 80's. There are a lot of disks with the file archives from the Swamp BBS. I will have to go through them and see what's there. There were also 4 Rana 1000 disk drives in the lot. He said he could only get one of them to work so I, again, have my work cut out for me. This is the 3rd of 3 collections I have acquired in the past month. I will be starting a thread that will catalog the 3 collection and the restoration processes. The extras will be cataloged and made available here.

Way to go Guitarman!

Sounds like you might need to startup an Atari Salvage company. Go by the name Atari Revival or something like it. :)

Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind. An Atari computer salvage & refurbishing center. I definitely have a good start on it!!!

Well, I tested the MIO from this bunch and.... It Worked!!! I cleaned it up and cleaned the connector contacts and it works great. I will have to try it with a HDD. This makes 2 working MIO's in the 3 collections I acquired. I am sure I will be selling one of them since I have no need for 4 (already have 256K MIO that Ken is fixing and ordered a new one).

Hi Guitarman!

Have you had a chance to check out anything else?

I am just about ready to start going through this lot. I have been rapping up the lot I got in Reno, which I will be posting pics of shortly. The lot I got from 'formyDad' (another thread) I have unpacked and somewhat organized. Just need to get the pics taken of that lot. This lot has not been unpacked yet. I did grab the MIO and got it tested and cleaned up. It looked like it was sitting in someones back yard for a few years, as does most of this lot. The only other piece I have messed with is the 130XE, which , at this point, does not work. I did a quick desolder of the first bank of ram and installed sockets and another set of ram, but that didn't help, So I have placed it back with the lot until I get it all organized.

Edited by Guitarman