IGNORED

Not-so-popular NES games you like?

Friday the 13th <~still love this game with a passion. I don't see what's so horrible about it. Scared the heck out of me when I was younger.

Milon's Secret Castle <~Awesome game

Built to Win <~The best racer ever

Rygar <~Loved playing this game, but never got really far on it.

Bubble Bobble <~Cute bubble blowing dinosaur's

So many more I cannot think of right now.

Shingen the Ruler - I'd buy whatever was on the $10 shelf back in the day so I ended up with this. Maybe it was because I had never played anything else in the genre but I really loved taking over ancient Japan.

Shingen the Ruler is an amazing game for the NES and one of my personal favorites.

I'll add a couple more to the list, i think, i didn't read the whole post, but how about

The Guardian Legend -amazing game

The Magic of Sheherazade (spelling probably) - but it's an amazing RPG

Galaxy 5000

Whoohoo! Another Galaxy 5000 fan! This game wasn't very popular (for some unknown reason), but most players that played it absolutely loved it. (At least, that's the impression I get from online reviews.) The game is challenging, rewarding, lengthy, has great voices (for the NES), is humorous, and is tons of fun to play with a friend or sibling. I've been looking for a copy for the past year or so, but no luck so far. :(

Sky Kid

I can't see Sky Kid as falling under the "not popular" category. It wasn't Rescue Rangers, but it was certainly well known at the time. The NES version was a pretty good translation, too. I have a copy that I picked up while I was looking for Galaxy 5000. :)

I love Galaxy 5000. It's an Activision classic. Anyone who says different better put up their pinchers! ;)

Deadly Towers has already been mentioned a couple of times so I won't go there..

No one seems to remember Super Pitfall for the NES! I heard it was bad (Seanbaby has it in his worst game list) but I still whip it out every now and then. True, the music was repetitive and the gameplay was generic Super Maryo clone caliber.. but, with over 250 some screens of platform fun I still dig it.

Someday I'll collect a Tandy Coco and the cartridge and build a nice shrine :)

Edited by theloon

I need to add another - M.U.S.C.L.E. That game when played alone may be very bad but when played with a friend who has a good sense of humor it is a lot of fun especially if you collected the little figures (back in the 80s).

I forgot about The Guardian Legend! It's one of my all time favorate games for any system. I never knew until years later that it got lackluster reviews, and I'm still not sure why. There's nothing else out there like it.

Faxanadu is also one of my favorates. I love the music and all the weird environments and monsters in that game. It was definately one of the most well constructed NES games. It doesn't get very good reviews either, and nobody's ever really heard of it. Perhaps it was hurt by the funny title.

Friday the 13th <~still love this game with a passion. I don't see what's so horrible about it. Scared the heck out of me when I was younger.

Milon's Secret Castle <~Awesome game

Built to Win <~The best racer ever

Rygar <~Loved playing this game, but never got really far on it.

Bubble Bobble <~Cute bubble blowing dinosaur's

So many more I cannot think of right now.

Milon's Secret Castle and Rygar are pretty popular games in my opinion. I spent hours on both of them. I got pretty far in Rygar, but had your Rygar problem in Milon's. Milon's is too hard.

castle quest - had it as a kid and hated it so much it was so hard. but i always tried i still try and get frustrated :)

milons secret castle - another one really hard game play but was very addictive once you get going

kid nikki - was one of my all time favs

astynaxe - not as good as the arcade but still fantastic especially for nes

werewolf - another great lost later title. i remember buying both this and astynaxe for 10.00 each at woolworth :)

rolling thunder - love it

guardian legend - great odd title played the hell out of it as a kid

renegade - this was my all time both arcade and nes. its what lead to double dragon for me :)

Man, just on this page... Rygar, Blaster Master, Bubble Bobble, Maniac Mansion...

I thought this thread was about UNpopular NES games.

While we're at it, you may all find this odd, but i'm rather fond of this "Mega Man" who seems to have a couple titles floating around out there. :D

maniac mansion was anything but popular.....

:-o

Maniac Mansion was HUGE back in the day. (As were most LucasFilm/LucasArts games.) Wikipedia's article has this to say about it:

Maniac Mansion has become known among video game players and programmers for its highly-acclaimed gameplay and its introduction of new ideas into gaming, including multiple possible endings, multiple user-selectable characters with significantly different abilities, and critical clues contained in numerous cut scenes.

That doesn't sound like a little-known game to me.

maniac mansion was anything but popular.....

:-o

Maniac Mansion was HUGE back in the day. (As were most LucasFilm/LucasArts games.) Wikipedia's article has this to say about it:

Maniac Mansion has become known among video game players and programmers for its highly-acclaimed gameplay and its introduction of new ideas into gaming, including multiple possible endings, multiple user-selectable characters with significantly different abilities, and critical clues contained in numerous cut scenes.

That doesn't sound like a little-known game to me.

extremely popular on computers, sure, so was day of the tentacle, but not on the nes. i would say a "Popular" game would be a mario, a metroid, Mike Tyson's punchout, and the like. not some of the lesser known releases for the NES. oh and i forgot, shadowgate was awesome too, but had no replay value whatsoever :(

also there were first party nintendo games i would consider not-so-popular

Star Tropics, faxanadu, urban champion, to the earth,

but by far the one game i should be shot for not remembering, is River City Ransom. looked uglier than sin, but had amazing gameplay.

Yeah, you ask most NES fans what their favorite games are, River City Ransom will be in the top 5.

Star Tropics was pretty popular too, thanks to a cover story and extensive coverage in Nintendo Power at the time. I consider Star Tropics to be above even Kid Icarus in the "Why the hell would they abandon this?" pile over at Nintendo. :)

ok i will eat crow on those two, but star tropics 2 did horribly

but i will say that those games were not "Must Haves" either like Punch-Out, or Super Mario Brothers.

To be fair, Super Mario Bros. was really a "must have" by default. :D

Another fun obscure one i was just thinking about is Chiller. One of the things i miss the most about my old collection, and without a doubt the most messed-up light gun game you will ever play, on any system. The torture chamber level was amazing. :)