IGNORED

Crazy 7800 joysticks

Atarifever

Hey, on Atari7800.org under "controllers" they have a steering wheel called the Beeshu Zoomer and a couple different controllers that look like the prolines. Where are these things from and does anyone know of any online retailers (even ebay shops, but not ebay in general) that sells these things? Do they work well? In particular, I'm interested in the zoomer thing.

Hi

I own a Beeshu Zoomer.It seems to be really rare.I have never seen one at ebay.You can buy most of this controllers at Best Electronics.

greetings gambler172

How well does it work, on, say, Pole Position for example?

Hi

I own a Beeshu Zoomer.It seems to be really rare.I have never seen one at ebay.You can buy most of this controllers at Best Electronics.

greetings gambler172

How well does it work, on, say, Pole Position for example?

Hi

The Beeshu Zoomer works well with Flight Simulations,but it also works with any other game.And yes,it works wit Pole Position too.If you have enough space on a table,you can use it like a steering wheel.It is not perfect,but it plays well.

greetings gambler172

• 9 years later...

Ok.....9 year necro bump here...

I got one of these Beeshu Zoomers recently, with the Atari/Commodore vs 7800 switch on it.

It works as a one button controller on my 7800 in Atari/Commodore mode.

The buttons don't work at all (though directionals do work) on my 7800 with the switch in 7800 mode.

Any thoughts?

It seems to have the buttons wired strangely. If the game tries to auto-detect if it is a 2600 or 7800 controller it will fail (Asteroids and Pole Position 2 come to mind). Regular two button games should work OK in the 7800 setting. One button games need to use the Atari/Commodore setting.

Mitch

• Like 1

It seems to have the buttons wired strangely. If the game tries to auto-detect if it is a 2600 or 7800 controller it will fail (Asteroids and Pole Position 2 come to mind). Regular two button games should work OK in the 7800 setting. One button games need to use the Atari/Commodore setting.

Mitch

I'll be damned...I tried it with just Joust originally as it was already in the 7800. Once that didn't work, i never even moved to a two button game, I figured it was broken. I'll try it with a two button game tonight, thanks Mitch!

• 5 years later...

I'm trying to find out if the Atari 7800 had any games that used analog controls for flight simulators or driving games. Does the Beeshu Zoomer actually work with analog controls instead of just emulating a digital 8 way directional joystick?

22 minutes ago, Sonaru said:

I'm trying to find out if the Atari 7800 had any games that used analog controls for flight simulators or driving games.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: the 7800 is compatible with 2600 paddles, so conceivably a pair of those could be adapted into a flight stick / steering wheel arrangement.  You'd even get to keep the ability to have two independent fire buttons.

The downside is that the software would need to be written to take advantage of it.  AFAIK, no titles were released for the 7800 that could use paddles.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

The downside is that the software would need to be written to take advantage of it.  AFAIK, no titles were released for the 7800 that could use paddles.

Thankfully, modern homebrews do at least... games like Centipede TB use the trakball in all its analog glory. Arkanoid (should by time of release), Crazy Brix and Circus AtariAge, etc. are written to properly take advantage of paddles too.  ?

• Like 3