IGNORED

Quest 1K

Robert M

Hello,

I am working on a 1K entry for the minigame competition. Its going to involve exploring dungeons and killing things. If it doesn't fit in 1K it should fit into 2K ;)

Attached is a prototype of the dungeon generator. Load the bin and press Reset to generate a dungeon. Use Joy1 to explore. Press Reset whenever you want a new dungeon.

Enjoy!

main.bin

Neat! The dungeon layouts reminds me of another homebrew in development called Paladin, except that yours has an Adventure roaming feel to it. The dungeons does look somewhat constricted. I'm not sure this requires more memory but maybe you can alter or add some wall layouts designed to make the rooms larger when linked together like the example below?

post-7623-1181405137_thumb.png

Just an idea I thought I'd pass to ya.

Great start you got there though! Then again, perhaps you'll need to keep the dungeons simple as it is to keep it at 2k.

Maybe this can develope into something more grand than 2k if you should ever decide to do a similar project like this one as I see alot of great possibilities here for dungeon designs. Keep at it!

Man! This gives me a great idea for a new adventure hack! :D

Edited by espire8

Neat! The dungeon layouts reminds me of another homebrew in development called Paladin, except that yours has an Adventure roaming feel to it. The dungeons does look somewhat constricted. I'm not sure this requires more memory but maybe you can alter or add some wall layouts designed to make the rooms larger when linked together like the example below?

post-7623-1181405137_thumb.png

Just an idea I thought I'd pass to ya.

Great start you got there though! Then again, perhaps you'll need to keep the dungeons simple as it is to keep it at 2k.

Maybe this can develope into something more grand than 2k if you should ever decide to do a similar project like this one as I see alot of great possibilities here for dungeon designs. Keep at it!

Man! This gives me a great idea for a new adventure hack!

At this point I was really only concerned with making sure the passageways all connect up and lead somewhere and back again. Carving out the shape of the rooms is a future milestone.

Cheers!

Here's a minor update. To keep the ROM small, there are two room types, small rectangle and large rectangle. If there is any ROM space later its easy to add more shapes. I managed to add a bug that corrupts the dungeon occasionally, but that's okay. I am at the point where its time for me to write the whole thing over from scratch and start optimizing it for size.

Cheers!

quest001.bin

Still targeting for just 1k?

Well, I know I can do it in 2K with no problem so I might as well aim for the lower bar. In the end if I miss its no big deal, and if I hit it then the game will be all the better. So far its all been prototyping and proof of concept experiments. I will have a better estimate of the final size after the rewrite.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...