IGNORED

Happy Halloween (WIP)

atari2600land

Just spent a few minutes playing the game. It's very much like AStar, but with more levels. But that's not a problem, as there aren't enough puzzle-type games for the 2600 so I'm always happy to see more. :) The title screen is nice, as well as the Halloween-themed music that plays. A few suggestions:

- Now that you've gone beyond 4K, maybe you could have different prizes you need to collect for each level?

- Perhaps the score at the bottom could be a different color than the maze?

- How about a short sound when you "bump" into a wall?

- A little bit of music when you successfully finish a level before going to the next would be nice.

- Likewise a bit of "failure" music after you go beyond the allotted moves would be good.

- Is it necessary to have 6 full digits of moves at the bottom? Would be nice if the font could be given a more "halloween" feel, and only use the number of digits necessary.

- If I hold down the fire button down the sprite is shown a bit to the right inside a wall.

- The level designs could use a bit of inspiration. Right now they are mostly just a haphazard collection of blocks. Would be nice to see some halloween-themed levels, such as a jack-o-lantern, a bat, black cat, skull, ghost, witch's hat, candy treats, and so forth. Maybe you could solicit some designs?

- Your player moves a bit slow--maybe a difficulty switch setting to allow for a faster speed? :D

Great work so far!!

..Al

Thanks for your suggestions, Albert. I'll try to work them into the game. It'd be nice if someone could design a Halloween-type font for the score & title screen, since I'm not very good at doing that sort of thing. 7 & 7 pixels and all I need are A, E, H, L, O, N, P, W, Y and all the numbers, so it's not like you need to design a whole font set just for this game. I think this game will now be 16k when I'm done with it.

Here's what I was able to do so far:

-Added failure/success music

-Got rid of excess zeroes in the score

-Fixed fire button problem Albert mentioned

Left to do:

-Add bump sound

-change score color

-Add different treats at the end (random?)

-Speed up Fred.

I'll probably work on this later today. It's just that the power could go off at any given time and I'd like to save my progress ;)

happyhall081307.bas

happyhall081307.bas.bin

I couldn't speed up Fred because of a giant bug I couldn't squish, but I did add a bump sound and made the score color random after finishing a level. As for the random block placement designs, they're not as random as you might think. It takes somewhere from 30 minutes-1 hour to design each level and test it. So if I took out a whole bunch of them, that'd be a lot of wasted work that I'd have done. But, if it would help it get into the store, I would be able to make that sacrifice. With this latest version, I took out level 25 (too many shortcuts), so now there's 28. And now I'm asking for your help to design some mazes for me. Stuff like the new just-added level 28, with Halloween-like designs. Here's the format:

playfield:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X.............................X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
end

happyhall081307a.bas.bin

happyhall081307a.bas

Edited by atari2600land

Maybe have the beginning levels (1-4) use the Halloween theme so they could ease a new player into the game before their brain starts to fry. It wouldn't matter if there were shortcuts or different ways to complete the levels. It would also allow you to have some eye catching screenshots instead of seemingly random block patterns.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the changes you applied to the game!

A few more suggestions:

- I think the success-music should be played a little bit longer.

- I like the 2-digit score graphics, maybe it would look even nicer if you use the 2 middle-digits instead of the 2 right-digits

and have only one constant color for the score.

- Adding a few halloween-themed levels would indeed be nice, i just hope you don't replace all the old levels (i really love

level 6).