IGNORED

StarWars - Asteroid Chase (Asteroids DC/Sadistroid HACK)

alex_79

Here's my first Hack. At first it was only a graphic hack of Asteroids (I used an hex editor to change the graphics), but I then found the disassembly by Thomas Jentzsch which contains also the code for "Asteroids DC+" and "Sadistroids" and I redid it including some features from those great hacks. It's inspired by the sequence of the Millenium Falcon's escape through the asteroid field in the movie "The Empire Strikes Back".

Features:

- Driving controller support and remaining ship displayed instead of numbers. (from Asteroids DC+ and Sadistroids)

- The asteroids are more realistic with "textures" and their colors are changed into shades of brown and dark-green.

- The ship graphics is changed to resemble a tiny Millenium Falcon.

- The Ufo and Satellite are changed into tie fighters and they are always active regardless the difficulty switches.

- The copyright text is changed into a little title screen.

I made a normal version with the speed of the original "Asteroids" and a "plus" version with faster asteroids and double Thrust (from "Sadistroids"). Graphically they only differs in the color of the title screen. I also made PAL60 and SECAM60 conversions :D :D (the asteroids are not so realistic with secam palette limited to 8 colors...). I didnt changed the framerate to keep the same speed, while the original PAL/SECAM release from Atari was slower than NTSC.

Asteroid_Chase.ZIP

screenshots.gif

P.S. I just found that the same idea was already used (see "Escape from Hoth"). I hope no one mind if I posted a similar game.

• 3 months later...
  • 13 years later...
On 6/11/2007 at 12:57 PM, alex_79 said:

Here's my first Hack. At first it was only a graphic hack of Asteroids (I used an hex editor to change the graphics), but I then found the disassembly by Thomas Jentzsch which contains also the code for "Asteroids DC+" and "Sadistroids" and I redid it including some features from those great hacks. It's inspired by the sequence of the Millenium Falcon's escape through the asteroid field in the movie "The Empire Strikes Back".

Features:

- Driving controller support and remaining ship displayed instead of numbers. (from Asteroids DC+ and Sadistroids)

- The asteroids are more realistic with "textures" and their colors are changed into shades of brown and dark-green.

- The ship graphics is changed to resemble a tiny Millenium Falcon.

- The Ufo and Satellite are changed into tie fighters and they are always active regardless the difficulty switches.

- The copyright text is changed into a little title screen.

I made a normal version with the speed of the original "Asteroids" and a "plus" version with faster asteroids and double Thrust (from "Sadistroids"). Graphically they only differs in the color of the title screen. I also made PAL60 and SECAM60 conversions :D:D (the asteroids are not so realistic with secam palette limited to 8 colors...). I didnt changed the framerate to keep the same speed, while the original PAL/SECAM release from Atari was slower than NTSC.

Asteroid_Chase.ZIP 30.89 kB · 169 downloads

screenshots.gif

P.S. I just found that the same idea was already used (see "Escape from Hoth"). I hope no one mind if I posted a similar game.

I love the logo you did for the title screen! This game looks fun.