IGNORED

Lead

seemo

Hi,

here's another update of Lead :)

What's new:

- some code review

- slightly reduced the fx volume for 'seq' audio option

- fixed a bug that often prevented scramble stages (from the second on) from turning left/right

- re-defined stage parameters

- the third power-up now is a shield that allows the player to avoid a game-over condition once

( this is a mix between the 'timed' shield and the extra life that moonshot22 suggested : Thank You Ron ! )

Simone

@Tidegear: I was hoping that you were experiencing that 'out of side' bug because of the emulator/platform you were using... a suspect made stronger by my first attempts/checks on the code, that unfortunately proved useless :( ... anyway, I kept on investigating, and finally found the cause :) .

I would never challenge your 'mental sanity'... whatever that thing is :-o

:D

lead_8k_20070923.bin

Great update, as usual! I like the new Catch graphics. :thumbsup: You have a real talent for good sprite design. There's a lot of variety in the game, but everything looks like it all belongs together.

The only suggestions left I can think of, would be for the end of the Catch level.

• If you miss, it should probably say (for example) "85 Caught!" Instead of "85 Catch!"
  • If you get them all, it would be nice to add the word "Perfect!" above the "500 Bonus". Everyone likes a little positive reinforcement. ;)

such a great game. I really appreciate the addition of diagonals since I primarily play this on my gp2x. anyway love the variety and how you've really perfected the game. it even includes the 1k original if all you want is shooting. this is about as perfect a game as you can get on the 2600

Hi,

another update :)

- on scramble stages, enemies flash when you are within their 'hit' range

- at the end of a catch stage, the message says '+500 / perfect !' for a perfect stage, or 'xx / caught !' for

a 'normal' stage

- you can now carry a maximum of three smart bombs, so that you get a power-up for every fourth additional smart bomb

Thanks to Eric "r_type2600" for this suggestion !

(the last 'bonus points' power-up got splitted into two 249 'bonus points' power-ups)

- reworked a little the sides movement routine

Simone

@jbrodack & johnny_boy : thanks for your kind words, and welcome to AtariAge ! :)

@nathan : thanks for your appreciation ! :)

lead_8k_20071004.bin

Another excellent update, Simone! :thumbsup:

You didn't mention it, but I think you also reworked the colours a bit, didn't you?

Anyway, the game somehow feels richer and deeper now...great!

Could of course also be that I'm just completely hypnotized all the way again ;)

- glad to see the expanded '+500 / perfect!' message make it!

A small observation: wouldn't it be more intuitive to revert it, e.g.: ' perfect ! / (empty line) /+500 '

Cool you decided to reduce the smartbombs - I believe this now really gives the player more freedom in how to approach and play the game: no need for a perfect run anymore in order to experience all gameplay elements! The smartbombs definetely get much more use now :cool:

- on the heels of the above, it might be a good idea to change the score unit value to 3 in order to break up the current rigidy of even scores. Not sure, but I think it would further add to the 'freefloating' spirit of the game...

Guest moonshot22

Hi Simone! Lead just keeps getting better and better! Thanks for taking such care in "tweeking" a great game!

I have a few questions for you. Upon completing the final level, does the game continue on?

Also, I was wondering if you would consider removing the narrowing of the playfield feature for the first "scramble" stage. I think it would be cool if it didn't come into play until the 2nd time you reach it.

I know it's been mentioned a few times here, are you planning on making this available on a cartridge? I sure hope so!!!!

Do you already have the artwork worked out?

If not, do you think it would be a good time to hold the usual contest for the artists here? It woud be awesome if this were available by Christmas.

cheers---Ron

Hi Simone! Lead just keeps getting better and better! Thanks for taking such care in "tweeking" a great game!

I have a few questions for you. Upon completing the final level, does the game continue on?

Also, I was wondering if you would consider removing the narrowing of the playfield feature for the first "scramble" stage. I think it would be cool if it didn't come into play until the 2nd time you reach it.

I know it's been mentioned a few times here, are you planning on making this available on a cartridge? I sure hope so!!!!

Do you already have the artwork worked out?

If not, do you think it would be a good time to hold the usual contest for the artists here? It woud be awesome if this were available by Christmas.

cheers---Ron

i second that one. would one created with labelmaker 2600 count as acceptable?

Edited by wrenchien

Ever think about supporting paddle control. The game is great. It seems like it would be a cool as a paddle game. Every time I kinda wish I was playing with a paddle. Something about it just gives off that vibe to me. Anyways, just putting it out there. Again, Great game.

-Legend

Brilliant game, Simone!

Belongs in my personal top five homebrews now.

One thing:

Perhaps the player could start again in the same level as the one he dies in, instead of the previous level?

IMO you're pushing it a bit too much by sending the player back one level (not good for the morale).

8)

Perhaps the player could start again in the same level as the one he dies in, instead of the previous level?

IMO you're pushing it a bit too much by sending the player back one level (not good for the morale).

I have to disagree with you there. I'd like to see it pushed back even another level. So what he has now is probably a good compromise. ;)

The problem with continuing at the same level is that it's too easy to work your way through a game, without ever learning how to actually get good at it. The suggestion for restarting back a couple of levels came from Tempest (the game, not the guy), and it worked extremely well there.

The problem with continuing at the same level is that it's too easy to work your way through a game, without ever learning how to actually get good at it.
I agree, Nathan.

That's exactly why I think you should start at the beginning of the level you died in, not at the beginning of the level you've already mastered.

IMO forced to repeat something you've already overcome becomes eventually disappointing.

I feel like I'm being extra punished for not making it through a certain level now, instead of being encouraged to master it.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Siding with Nathan here: - continuing from the same level will ruin most of the fun of the game.

It doesn't represent a challenge at all to try the same level over and over again until you eventually luck out and make it to the next level.

No focus, no risk, no thrill, no excitement, no fun.

It's like watching a DVD on fast forward in five minutes. You'll see all scenes, perhaps catch the storyline, but completely miss the drama and emotions.

Then you'll put in a drawer never to be looked at again.

The essence of classic gaming is to master the game, not to play through it.

Granted you will be required to sharpen your concentration, keep focused, sweat, then eventually curse and throw the joystick against the wall.

And then you'll come back to the game in the evening. Or the next day. Or in a week. To give it just one more try. And once you finish it, you will try for a better score.

That's excitement. That's fun!

Siding with Nathan here: - continuing from the same level will ruin most of the fun of the game.

It doesn't represent a challenge at all to try the same level over and over again until you eventually luck out and make it to the next level.

I don't understand this.

Now you have to replay the previous level over and over again.

And not only that: the previous level is a completely different challenge too.

Let me put it this way:

If Rocky gets knocked down by Mr. T, I don't think he wants to fight with Apollo Creed first again.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Let me put it this way:

If Rocky gets knocked down by Mr. T, I don't think he wants to fight with Apollo Creed first again.

But if he got knocked out by Mr. T, they wouldn't let him start his next fight in the same round. :)

LOL

True.

Therefore I plead for a new fight with the same contender.

Ding.

Ding.

8)

I don't understand this.

Now you have to replay the previous level over and over again.

:grin: ... not exactly: lose on that one, and you'll be set back one more level. And so on..

No easy way out here: if you wanna progress, you've got to be focused and sweat for it! :ahoy:

8)

:rolling: The point is that Rocky's gonna fight, not bribe the referee... :lol:

:grin: ... not exactly: lose on that one, and you'll be set back one more level. And so on..

No easy way out here: if you wanna progress, you've got to be focused and sweat for it! :ahoy:

Exactly! You have to get good at the game to move forward. Otherwise, you'll move backwards.

Just being able to play the same level over and over until you luck your way through it doesn't make you any better at the game.