IGNORED

Lead

seemo

• 5 months later...

Hi,

here's a release candidate binary for Lead.

This version also contains the 4k version, and you can save/retrieve hi-scores for all three game versions.

(please note that the screen may jump when a new hi-score is saved)

Moreover, smart bomb activation and diagonal movements have been uniformed throughout the game versions.

When you are playing the 1k or the 4k version, you can return to the main game either by hitting reset or by holding UP on the joystick for three seconds.

Please try this binary and report any bug you should encounter.

Many thanks to Nathan Strum, who supervised this 16k version. :thumbsup:

Simone

edit: forgot to mention, audio options are saved/retrieved, too :)

lead_16k_rc_20080908.bin

Edited by seemo

Whats the difference between the versions? I don't recall a 4k version. Is that 8k without the title screen or something?

*Edit* Oh, I see. 4k is a version from between 1k and 8k and 8k is the main mode. Makes sense! Did you ever release 4k before? *Edit*

*Edit 2* In Stella, holding up doesn't seem to go back to the main mode. It only restarts the current one. Also, I think the title screen of 4k should specify "4k" and 8k's title should specify "8k". *Edit 2*

Edited by Tidegear

Hi,

here's an updated version of the release candidate binary:

1) I have added a little '4k' label under the Lead logo for the 4k version

2) Thanks to the help of Stephen Anthony, I have updated to the latest version the routines that load/save values to/from the eeprom.

Now the load/save features work with the Stella Emulator, too :)

Obviously many thanks go to Alex Herbert, who wrote the original eeprom routines, and to Thomas Jentzsch, who optimized them.

Simone

lead_16k_rc_20080909.bin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I mainly lurk on AA now and haven't been lurking in the homebrew dev area, but I thought I'd pop in outta nowhere and say that this is easily my favorite 2600 homebrew in several years - I'm going to go out on a limb and say my favorite since Go Fish!. I got an e-mail about the label contest, downloaded and played the game, and it's a couple of hours later now and I don't feel one bit bad about it. Awesome game! The music's got a very Reactor vibe to it, which is nothing but a good thing. Extremely addictive. Well done! :D

I can't make it work with Stella :(

Strange, as I test every version of Lead as soon as they're posted. Emulation-wise, this is a very standard ROM, being 4K and using the joystick, etc. Are you using a really old version of Stella??

It's a 16K binary.

..Al

Oops, I was looking at the wrong one. Still, my original point stands; emulation-wise, 16K/F6 is just as common/easy to emulate as 4K.

Works with Stella for me, I just can't stand the music. I have to hit the mute button on my keyboard.
Looks like you just found your solution.

But then I can't hear anything else.

what other sound is there? I think the music is great anyway and love the different options.

this is just such a good game period not just for atari homebrew. nice that its an original idea too and not directly based on anything.