IGNORED

ABBUC Software Contest 2007

Bunsen

crash in Yoomp level 12?

Hi folks. I did not want to start a new topic, to get all the info in this topic, but I hope this post won't get lost in space.

i got all kind of colorfull lines (moving/flashing) on my screen. Like you also see on depacking but then faster.

Hi Marius,

That's very weird - what you got was most probably an internal check to verify that the tunnel manages to render in 2 frames. We have seen this happening in the early stages of the development a lot, but not in the last months, so I'm very surprised you got it. The thing is, Yoomp is just managing to render in 2 frames, and if a few things that can slightly increase the execution time in a particular moment, it might not make it in time. But, like I said, it's been months since we saw it, and with all the people playing with it, it's surprising it happened only once.

In the 1.1 version I will try to speed something up a bit, to minimize the probability of it.

If this (or something) similar happens to anyone on an emulator, please, send me a save file (A8S).

I'll try to reproduce the problem again. It would be nice if that game let me use the Qmeg Freezer. In case it happens again I could save the freezer to disk, and send it to you for investigation.

Freezer use would be a nice option anyway. To let me save where I was, and continue later in the week ;)

Marius

Currently I'm stuck at level 14 which is quite hard (at least for an occasional game player like me), and I'm really curious about what levels 15-21 will look like.

I just finished level 21...

My answer is in thread "Yoomp"

Regards,

patjomki

Edited by patjomki

Indeed, let's move with Yoomp! discussions to http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115928, leaving this topic to discuss ABBUC entries in general.

On the Crownland demo versus Yoomp! subject I would say that they are both amazingly engineered Atari 8bit games that stretch the capacity of that line of computers. They are totally different kinds of games, a platform jumper and a fast-paced reflex arcade game. Depending on what type of game you like, your favorite could be either. However I think Yoomp! wins out because it is complete and Crownland isn't and further because Yoomp! has a mind-bending quality to the gameplay forcing the player to try new things to get through the levels.

I was just playing both of them on Atari800 emulator for DOS on my FreeDOS system (they work fine there) and was totally impressed by both. It's great to see the Atari 8bit doing a Nintendo-style multi-screen platformer. Bruce Lee and Pitfall II were terrific but Crownland takes it to the next level in a lot of ways. Yoomp! just speaks for itself in that whole experience, and with the pulsing soundtrack. In Yoomp! I feel the need to stay safely down on the bottom-most rows, but you just can't get a good score that way. You've got to go all the way around the tube, and that is part of what is mind-bending about it, it makes you play in ways you're not quite ready for.

To the developers of both these games I say HURRAH and thanks very much for the enjoyment you've brought to us retro fans!

I will have to check out the other ABBUC winners now!

Jeez what did I do? What is this crappy "Trailblazer is the same game as Pole Position" or "Trailblazer is equal to Ballblazer" crap? Did you guys even look at those games?

Let's compare their 2D variants:

Pole Position is just Motor Mania in pseudo 3D

Trailblazer is just Bounder in pseudo 3D

Ballblazer is just an extended Pong in pseudo 3D

So, if all those games are the same in their pseudo 3D perspective, also the plain 2D variants are more or less the same.

So: Motor Mania is like Bounder which is like Pong? Common, get real...

Edited by Fröhn

I wonder if ABBUC is going to do another contest for 2008 because I know of a few game projects in progress and a few I might get involved with during the next year. I am thinking about pushing the work with my Pitfall like game that will have elements of popular side scrollers included. I am probably gonna be looking for 1 or 2 helpers with it familiar with 6502 assembly and Atari HW registers, sound effects, music, setting up an atari .exe file, etc.

I agree this contest did push for some great games to be created.

I wonder if ABBUC is going to do another contest for 2008 because I know of a few game projects in progress and a few I might get involved with during the next year. I am thinking about pushing the work with my Pitfall like game that will have elements of popular side scrollers included. I am probably gonna be looking for 1 or 2 helpers with it familiar with 6502 assembly and Atari HW registers, sound effects, music, setting up an atari .exe file, etc.

I agree this contest did push for some great games to be created.

Yes, there will be another contest 2008

The rules are almost the same as this year. Also the prices: 500 EUR, 250 EUR, 125 EUR, 75 EUR, 50 EUR.

The new rules will be published in a few days on the abbuc homepage.

• 1 year later...

More than one year has gone but finally I'm able to detail my answer:

To Mathy (regarding ST mouse support): Yes, this would be nice and I tought about it before starting ECKN too. But my kind of solution looks

different. Maybe you will see a result of my efforts in the next contest...

Everybody should know now what I meant: The CMI08.

And here is the version of the game which supports the interface:

ECKN+

- supports CX77 / CMI08

- you switch the game to mouse/tablet mode by moving the input device horizontally (like here: Demo video)

- improved IRQ handling

Hmmm it is a strange 'bug' ... sometimes when I play the game the cursor goes wrong, or the picture of that guy on the left is turned BLUE!

- ATRACT mode handling (since I played the game by keyboard I didn't get the colour change)

It's a pity Crownland and Eckn doesn't work well on NTSC systems. Maybe, on the future could be launched a NTSC version, as Yoomp! authors promised.

- NTSC friendly (there are still some minor glitches, but the game works OK now on NTSC machines - at least it should ;) )

- updated title image

Please note:

Monday is last day for CMI08 pre-orders! There will be no big over production for PCBs/kits!

Order details here.

CU

Irgendwer

ECKNPLUS.zip