page at the link below and check out the boxes that these games will

come packaged in.

An interesting side-note...

The artwork for both Pick Up and Save the Whales might look strangely

familiar. There's a very good reason for that. The illustrations were

drawn by the same person who did the artwork for Atari 2600 Miner

2049'er back in 1982! In fact, he also did the artwork for Springer and

Miner II among others. We recently found him and hired him to do the

artwork for Pick Up and Save the Whales.

http://www.cgexpo.com/newprod.html

Sean Kelly

Classic Gaming Expo

Yes, unfortunately it does. We had planned on doing 7800 Missing in Action as well, but we've had a hell of a time getting it to work on a circuit board other than the actual Atari proto board with the ribbon cable daughterboard. We will continue to work on the board design though.

I'm droolin' over all these CGE releases -- execpt I can't go. Would anyone be able to pick some up for me or sell them after the show? I've got an extra Philly Classic Bugs Bunny I'd offer to trade for one of these show's releases.

I have a feeling there will probably be lots of requests like these in the coming weeks, so let me throw in my two cents worth.

Some of the vendors may set aside "extras" for sale after the show to attendees that can't make it. Cart producers like Hozer may be able to release the games later - like Combat II and the Aliala's Quest.

However, there's a good, good, good chance that the only ones available will be those at the convention. And most of those *will* sell out, though that's not always the case. There were plenty of Combat IIs left at the end of the convention last year (as I heard tell), but Elevator Action and all the Colecovision carts were long gone within an hour of release - as was Secret Agent.

To keep people from snapping up extras then eBaying them, I heard there will be a strict one-per-person rule for all cart sales (new releases and homebrews) at this year's CGE. I also heard there will be a lottery system if there's a huge demand, so there's a chance even attendees won't get all of the goodies.

Your best bet is to find someone who doesn't want any of these carts then pay them for their time to get them for you. And this person better be *really* honest, 'cause if they didn't want the cart in the first place, it's a great way to score several hundred bucks on eBay.

Just being realistic here guys, 'cause we go through this every year. Good luck.

What makes these games so much more better is the fact that they have art work done by the original artists who made 2600 cartidges.

I can also tell you first-hand that the instruction manuals that come with Save The Whales, Pick-Up, and Crack'd, look exactly like the ones printed by Atari and 20th Century Fox.

Yes, unfortunately it does.  We had planned on doing 7800 Missing in Action as well, but we've had a hell of a time getting it to work on a circuit board other than the actual Atari proto board with the ribbon cable daughterboard.  We will continue to work on the board design though.

You probably already checked this, but some Atari banswitched games require a certain bank to be mapped in at power-up. Also there are games that permanently map in one of the banks at $4000-$7FFF. For 64K games there are some that use banks 0-3 and others that use 4-7. The PAL version of Karateka is a nice example of all three cases. I think this came from the fact that Atari's development RAM cart required the programmers to upload each 16K bank seperately.

If you'd like me to try the Missing in Action ROM (or any other non-working 7800 proto you are hiding) in my homebrew bankswitched RAM cart to see, if I can figure out if any combination of bank at $4000 and startup bank at power-up can make the game play reliably, feel free to send me the ROM images via e-mail. (Yes, I know that this is a cheesy attempt, but I just had to try it. ;) )

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I can also tell you first-hand that the instruction manuals that come with Save The Whales, Pick-Up, and Crack'd, look exactly like the ones printed by Atari and 20th Century Fox.

Except for the fact that the manuals are printed in B&W.

I also heard there will be a lottery system if there's a huge demand, so there's a chance even attendees won't get all of the goodies.

We'll be posting the details of the lottery system in the next few days on the Classic Gaming Expo webpage. Even so, there should be enough to go around.

Sean Kelly

Classic Gaming Expo

If you'd like me to try the Missing in Action ROM (or any other non-working 7800 proto you are hiding) in my homebrew bankswitched RAM cart to see, if I can figure out if any combination of bank at $4000 and startup bank at power-up can make the game play reliably, feel free to send me the ROM images via e-mail. (Yes, I know that this is a cheesy attempt, but I just had to try it.  ;) )

Actually, part of the problem is that I have never really messed much with the 7800 so I don't know alot about it. I do know enough about basic addressing that I thought I'd be able to get it working. It won't make it to CGE 2002, but we'll definitely work on it after the show.

Just out of curiosity, what size is the ROM for Missing in Action (or the other tenative 7800 games for that matter)? And were you planning on making custom boards or reusing old ones?

I think Eckhard has mentioned the main 7800 bankswitching oddities so I won't go there, but I will mention that if you need any help testing, I have a 7800 RAM cart and EPROM cart available. :)

Good luck on getting them working, I'm looking forward to playing some new 7800 games. :thumbsup:

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org