IGNORED

Cave-In (PAL50/60 versions available)

Atarius Maximus

I've been playing around with this code for a few hours today, and I think I've got the move_around_rooms code all figured out now. This is a minor change, but I added two additonal rooms to the game, which are accessible by entering the blue castle. There are two castles in the game, but you can only enter one of them. I changed the demo so you have to return the treasure (ball) to the second room of the blue castle to get the bonus points. If you'd like to go straight to the blue castle from the start screen, go right, down, down.

My problem now is space - I've got so many rooms and sprites defined that there's very little room for code left in bank 1. Any suggestions for code optimization on this one, short of deleting rooms and sprite definitions? I need to free up a ton of space if I'm going to really be able to do anything useful with this game...that's what I'm going to be focusing on next.

Steve

I'd suggest spreading the room definitions across several banks. The sprite definitions probably don't matter too much as just a little bit of code is placed in the calling bank. The actual sprite graphics data is placed in the last bank regardless.

Thanks for the suggestion, batari. Is there a way to use the "on goto" statement when the subroutines are located in different banks? I don't think I could do 'on goto d0 bank1 d1 bank1 d2 bank3 d3 bank3...', could I?

Steve

Thanks for the suggestion, batari. Is there a way to use the "on goto" statement when the subroutines are located in different banks? I don't think I could do 'on goto d0 bank1 d1 bank1 d2 bank3 d3 bank3...', could I?

Steve

No, "on goto" does not support cross-bank jumps. The way I'd do it is to separate the rooms into two piles, e.g. supposing there are 8 rooms numbered 0-7:

rem we're in bank 1
 if room>3 then goto upperrooms bank2
 on room goto d1 d2 d3 d4
 bank 2
upperrooms
 temp1=room-4
 on temp1 goto e1 e2 e3 e4

I wouldn't put room definitions into the last bank right now, as you may need the space for future sprite definitions.

Edited by batari

Using batari's suggestion, I moved the rooms around to the other 3 banks, and I've got plenty of space now. I put in 25 unique playfields, and I'll probably have room for more. I'm not sure yet how many actual rooms will be in the game (there's 50 in there now), but it doesn't really use up much space to add rooms that use an already defined playfield. It would be easy to add in up to 255 rooms, but then I'd have to design a map that used that many...very time consuming!

This revision adds one cool room - it's an invisible maze room similar to the original adventure. The walls are invisible and you have a "light" around you to see a short distance. The invisible maze room is in the castle for now.

With all of the extra space I've got, it's now time to start making the map & mazes exactly how I want them, and adding in some goals to the game. I'm thinking the goal is going to be to search the kingdom for 3 pieces of the treasure, and return them all to a certain location to win the game. I can use the pfscore lives counter to keep track of how many pieces of the treasure you've collected, and the status bar to keep track of your health - you'll get just one life (health powerups are a possibility). I'll also change it so you have to unlock the castles before entering. I'm going to wait awhile before I post another revision, the next time I post a bin it should have some significant additions. :) This one is going to take a while, creating maps & mazes takes a really long time. There's lots to do, but this should be fun! :D

Steve

adv20.txt

adv20.txt.bin

I'm going to wait awhile before I post another revision, the next time I post a bin it should have some significant additions. :) This one is going to take a while, creating maps & mazes takes a really long time. There's lots to do, but this should be fun! :D

Steve

Well, in the meantime, I thought I'd have some fun and did some experimental graphic changes.

I really liked your Indiana Jones type character so I beefed him up a little.

Rendered some different creatures too, -mostly wolves, snakes and the like. Hope you like it.

--> post-7623-1182623825.gif adv20_indy_1_.bin

I'm going to wait awhile before I post another revision, the next time I post a bin it should have some significant additions. :) This one is going to take a while, creating maps & mazes takes a really long time. There's lots to do, but this should be fun! :D

Steve

Well, in the meantime, I thought I'd have some fun and did some experimental graphic changes.

I really liked your Indiana Jones type character so I beefed him up a little.

Rendered some different creatures too, -mostly wolves, snakes and the like. Hope you like it.

--> post-7623-1182623825.gif adv20_indy_1_.bin

Wow, I really like the sprites you've created! If you don't mind, I may use some of them, they're pretty cool.

I've been hard at work on this game since the last time I posted. I've got a complete map with 160 rooms completed, along with four different castles that have their own rooms/mazes, but there's tons more stuff to do. Although I could theoretically go up to 255 rooms, it's already a very large map to explore, I'll probably keep it at 160. I've also got to test every room connection to make sure there are no errors in the code - that's going to take quite a bit of playtesting. I'm going to wait to post an update until I've got some more items on my to-do list completed.

Steve

Wow, I really like the sprites you've created! If you don't mind, I may use some of them, they're pretty cool.

Sure, I don't mind at all.

I also like alot of your own creatures (which is why I did'nt change them all) though I wanted to add turrantulas, bats and fortune cookies too (insects actualy). :D

The explorer in the game is only 2-frame animation as oppose to the 3-frame in the gif sample so if you need any separate frames just let me know. If you plan on animating the creatures I can whip up the additional frames too, if you decide to that is ;) .

Perhaps when the time comes you may want to flip the images so when they walk left and right they will face the direction they move as well.

Also, as all the creatures are the same color, possible you can make them a different color from each other? ie: snakes green, rats brown, etc.

I've been hard at work on this game since the last time I posted. I've got a complete map with 160 rooms completed, along with four different castles that have their own rooms/mazes, but there's tons more stuff to do.

Wow, 160 rooms = lots of fortune cookies.

There's still some work to be done, but many of the features that I wanted to add to this game are now in place. This is a massive update from the last version I posted. :)

Gameplay:

You must find the three crown fragments scattered among the kindgom and return them to the throne room. The three pieces are each located in three different castles, and the throne room is in the fourth castle. The fragments are represented by the ball (a 4x4 pixel square). You can't enter the fourth castle until you've picked up all three fragments. As you pick up the fragments, the number of pieces you've picked up is displayed on the status bar. Once you have all three, make your way to the throne room in the fourth castle to win the game.

Here's a short list of what's been added the game, although I may forget a few things:

:arrow: There are now 161 total Rooms. This was many hours of work!

:arrow: 2 Warp Rooms - enter the warp area in the middle of the room and you'll be taken to the other warp room.

:arrow: Heath Bar is now functional. You'll slowly take damage - and if your health falls to zero you'll die.

:arrow: Health Regeneration Room. If you find this room, it will regenerate your health to 100%.

:arrow: One invisible maze you'll have to navigate to get to one of the castles, similar in style to the original Atari adventure.

:arrow: Rooms changed to make it feel like your walking around in a cave.

What I'd still like to add (not sure if I can on some of them, they're just ideas):

:arrow: mini-games, or moving obstacles, that you have to deal with in certain rooms

:arrow: some kind of meaningful scoring system. You currently just get 10 points for every monster you kill.

:arrow: sprite changes for the hero & enemies. I'm probably going to use some of the cool sprites posted by espire8.

:arrow: additional objectives - not sure what yet. Ideas?

:arrow: I may use the score as an inventory strip for keys or other items (see this thread:http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...67&hl=score)

:arrow: randomization of mazes or placement of treasure pieces.

:arrow: add some animation to the enemy sprites, and a death animation so they don't just disappear when you hit them.

:arrow: more map testing needs to be done, it's possible that there are still some errors in how the rooms connect.

:arrow: Score graphics - I'm going to change them to match the theme of this game.

:arrow: A different "death" screen.

:arrow: lots more things I'm not thinking of right now....

I created a map before I even started working on coding the screens, and I've included it here. I'll make a better one when the game is finally complete, but it should help. The map definitely contains some spoilers as to the location of items, so don't look at it if you want to enjoy the thrill of discovery. :)

This is the kind of original game I've always wanted to make, and it's been a blast working on it! :cool:

Steve

adv34.txt

adv34.txt.bin

post-2143-1182658531_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atarius Maximus

One more quick update that changes the character sprite to the one that espire8 created. I also changed the enemy sprites so they will flip and face you (although most of them are symmetrical right now and you won't see a difference). There were also a few minor bugfixes in this one.

I'll wait to post again until the next major update. ;)

Steve

adv35.txt.bin

adv35.txt

Edited by Atarius Maximus

One more quick update that changes the character sprite to the one that espire8 created. I also changed the enemy sprites so they will flip and face you (although most of them are symmetrical right now and you won't see a difference). There were also a few minor bugfixes in this one.

Steve

Hi Steve

really great work.How about some sound?????

And i found a little bug?????When reaching the warp room,i entered it and went back again.When doing this sevearl times,i was stuck in the wall at the bottom and could not escape.But anyhow,your Adventure game can become a really good game.Maybe you could add some more weapons,or how about some enemies,which can be beaten with a special weapon?

greetings Walter

Steve

Hi Steve

really great work.How about some sound?????

And i found a little bug?????When reaching the warp room,i entered it and went back again.When doing this sevearl times,i was stuck in the wall at the bottom and could not escape.But anyhow,your Adventure game can become a really good game.Maybe you could add some more weapons,or how about some enemies,which can be beaten with a special weapon?

greetings Walter

Thanks Walter. I do plan on adding sound to the game, it just always seems to be the last thing I do on all the games I've made. I went to the warp room and couldn't replicate the problem you were having, I went back and forth multiple times. I can make the character reappear farther up the screen and make the room a little bigger, that should prevent that from happening.

Thank you for the suggestions, I was thinking about having a "boss" enemy right before the final screen that you'd need to fight to win the game. If I can figure out an inventory system, I may place 4 separate keys around the kingdom as well in order to enter the castles, as well as an additional weapon. The easiest thing to do would be to add the ability to throw the sword, but I could call it a gun. ;) I also need to come up with a name for this game - I haven't thought of anything good yet. There's definitely more work to be done!

Steve

I'm really, really jealous. I've started a few of these but then gotten into crap like dragon warrior style battle systems and lost my track. This already looks very polished and nice.

A few comments, suggestions;

Are you in a cave or outside? I guess the backstory will explain why there would be castles inside a cave? If it's a cave, I would make it so that you start next to a cave-in pile of rocks, showing that you can't go back out the way you came in. Then make it so that after you collect everything you have to collect, you have to find a blue square (the entrance to an underground spring) and swim out, with the ending screen being you coming up out of a lake next to a mountain or something. Since Metroid, I like the "now get back out, fast" ending.

I'm really, really jealous. I've started a few of these but then gotten into crap like dragon warrior style battle systems and lost my track. This already looks very polished and nice.

Thank you very much for the compliment, it's been fun and I'm pleased with how it's coming along so far. The battle system is pretty simplistic in this one obviously, but I may try to do a boss monster with hit points at the end of the game. I really liked your Project Eden demo, have you made any more progress on that?

Are you in a cave or outside? I guess the backstory will explain why there would be castles inside a cave? If it's a cave, I would make it so that you start next to a cave-in pile of rocks, showing that you can't go back out the way you came in. Then make it so that after you collect everything you have to collect, you have to find a blue square (the entrance to an underground spring) and swim out, with the ending screen being you coming up out of a lake next to a mountain or something. Since Metroid, I like the "now get back out, fast" ending.

As I was changing the game screens over to a cave theme, I was thinking the same thing about the castles. I may just change them into locked cave entrances or something. I was kind of thinking about Indiana Jones while making the game, and if I remember right they found a "castle" of sorts in a cavern in the third movie, didn't they? ;) I guess the whole problem is I started this game without really having a solid theme in mind, I was just starting with a few of the design elements from the original Atari adventure game. I do like your idea about the cave entrance and the spring, I may work something like that into the game.

Steve

Nice work!

post-2955-1182739493_thumb.jpg

Help! I got my hat stuck! This would never happen to Indy, even at age 64! ;)

This room is just inside one of the castle gates. Not sure which castle, but the wall color was originally yellow when I entered. Also, you can see I got the crown piece from another castle already. I was stuck imediately after I entered the gate.

Nice work!

Help! I got my hat stuck! This would never happen to Indy, even at age 64! ;)

This room is just inside one of the castle gates. Not sure which castle, but the wall color was originally yellow when I entered. Also, you can see I got the crown piece from another castle already. I was stuck imediately after I entered the gate.

Sorry your hat got stuck! :) Yeah, there may still be a few bugs in the game. I don't have time to dive into it tonight, but I'll start playtesting levels this week and hopefully find and fix bugs like that one. I may just need to make "Indy" appear a little lower on the screen when you enter a room.

Steve

Is there a way to get him to stop only when his feet touch a wall? That would give it a pseudo-3D effect.

As for the goal... Hmm... If this is Indy we're talking about, he should be looking for the Fountain of Youth! :D

Any chance to have keys/doors in the game? That would spread the quest out a bit. Then he could be looking for just about anything. Finding gold along the way will make it fun while searching for the final object. Maybe it could even be a girl! ;)

LOL! no problem! Yeah, I figured it may just be where the sprite is positioned for that room when he appears after entering the castle. :)

I am enjoying the expansive nature of this game. However I agree you could have some treasures or something every few rooms for instant gratification while you are hunting down the crown pieces. Though I am not sure if you have any sprites left to use since you are already using the ball for the crown pieces and the missle(s) for the player's sword?

And of course, the monsters are the other player sprite.

As for the character, you could call him "Andy" to avoid getting sued by Lucasfilm, Paramount, etc. ;)

Nice work!

Help! I got my hat stuck!

Same here.

Should be an easy fix, just have Indy appear a tad lower when entering.

I also kind'a miss the earlier rooms with the thin walls (the "venture" styled rooms). There was so much more room to run around in and I loved the original layout room designs as the were.

In those early builds I found it very fun to avoid having the cretures touch me as I tried to get pass to the next room without killing them. There was a wonderful element of timing and placing yourself stategicly to make the monsters move to where you can quickly make a dash for the hall to the next room. The speed of the hero and monsters were balanced just pefectly too as I found it very addicting and exhilerating just to pull off that 'game of not gettin tagged' in every room. Some were easy -others were challenging.

Unfortunately with the new cave designs, this element got lost as it's much more constricted and the monsters hit me all the time now. I find myself continuing to play the earlier builds just to relieve what I missed before.

I guess it goes to show how a game's design can actualy affect the elements of how it's played.

Unfortunately with the new cave designs, this element got lost as it's much more constricted and the monsters hit me all the time now. I find myself continuing to play the earlier builds just to relieve what I missed before.

I guess it goes to show how a game's design can actualy affect the elements of how it's played.

You're right. I found myself doing that too in the original maze design - trying to avoid the enemies rather than kill them. I can easily change it back to the original style of the game, the cave theme was just an idea I had late Saturday night. :) I'll work again on some new map screens that are little more open.

Steve

LOL! no problem! Yeah, I figured it may just be where the sprite is positioned for that room when he appears after entering the castle. :)

I am enjoying the expansive nature of this game. However I agree you could have some treasures or something every few rooms for instant gratification while you are hunting down the crown pieces. Though I am not sure if you have any sprites left to use since you are already using the ball for the crown pieces and the missle(s) for the player's sword?

And of course, the monsters are the other player sprite.

As for the character, you could call him "Andy" to avoid getting sued by Lucasfilm, Paramount, etc. ;)

I could easily add some treasure or other items to pick up (as sprites), I just wouldn't be able to have an enemy on the screen at the same time - I'm trying to avoid any flicker in this game. I may be using the score display as an inventory screen for keys, though. If there's no scoring points, I'm not sure what the motivation would be to search for random treasure in the game. Something else to ponder while I try and figure out the whole theme (and ultimate goal) of this game. ;)

Steve

Yeah, I tend to try to address the impressions I got first -as I was not sure if that were your intention for the game but you obviously spotted that impression too. Sometimes a play element is found accidentaly and I'm happy to hear you're sticking with it. That similar element in venture was the biggest addiction factor for me, one touch and your dead! It gave the game a real sense of urgency and a fun risk to score extra points for shooting them.

Man, It would be so cool if Indy can shoot a limited round of bullets from his gun like in atari's Raiders to pick off the monsters ala venture style! Heh, run out of ammo and you gotta run to avoid em'! If the hit damage to indy were a max of 3 to 5 hits depending on the type of monster, that would really give the game the urgency of survival!

This could be a very good sequel especialy with the new Indy movie ahead of us.

Btw- I noticed in the last build you added another frame of animation to the player to 3 frames so I did a little anime revision to make the run smoother. I posted the individual frames in order from left to right if you want to implement it.

post-7623-1182781441.gif

post-7623-1182781461_thumb.png

Here's an example bin hack to play test:adv35_indy_v2_1_.bin