IGNORED

COULD Jag have competed with the Playstation Graphically?

A_Gorilla

Something I've always wondered because the architexture for the Jag looked very powerful and it was only cause it was hard to program fo did the many games look bad. So I was wondering, could the Jaguar have produced games on the same graphical level as the Playstation?

In 2d, definately, maybe even surpass, and if we had seen it's full potential in 3D, it could have at least competed with the PSX through the first and second generation of PSX titles, but the PSX had some stronger 3D in it's guts, so eventually as developers learned more about the PSX, even if Jaguar development was evolving too, at some point around the 2nd/3rd generation of PSX titles the Jaguar would probably reach it's limit. Though before new information that Gorf has brought to light about the Jaguar through his research and development, the Jaguar would only have competed with first gen PSX titles with just good support. Gorf's research, from what he says, is going to finally bring the Jaguar's original promise of 64-bit power to light. It's just too bad he wasn't a developer for Atari back in the day, then we might have seen it's true power back then, instead of just programs that give you a teaser of it's true power like the Iron Soldier games, and Battlemorph and Battlesphere and MC3D, HoverStrike CD, Zero5, etc. The Jaguar's custom chips are a lot more powerful than many give credit, but you can't blame them from the example in games, the Jag's true weakness lay in it's bottlenecking 68000 chip and in a lack of RAM, both main, which could have been 6MB, but is only 2MB, and in lack of video and cache memory in respectable amounts. If the Risc chips had the memory they needed, and the 68000 is left alone for the most part or if the Jaguar never had it in the first place, the Jaguar's custom chips would perform at a level MUCH closer to the Playstation's.

Still, not too shabby for a system that came out 2 years before, and essentially had chips that were even older, since some of those custom chips were developed in '91-'93. I think If Atari could have gotten the Jaguar out in '93, in a national roll-out instead of just test markets, and with all the software from '93 and the national release titles of '94, it would have started of stronger and gained more interest earlier. If Atari had not screwed up it's reputation before the Jaguar, they could have had more top developers onboard much sooner and had a sooner and better introduction that could possibly have saved it, as well as getting the CD unit out on time instead of a year late, with little software support. It never had the support it should have had from the beginning. Don't blame the hardware. To find out more of what I refer to about Gorf's research and discoveries and how we will see true power from the Jaguar in the future, see the topic 'Jaguarvs32X' for starters. Though you'll have to suffer through a bunch of dialogue of 64-bit or not 64-bit.

Edited by Gunstar

In 2d, definately, maybe even surpass, and if we had seen it's full potential in 3D, it could have at least competed with the PSX through the first and second generation of PSX titles, but the PSX had some stronger 3D in it's guts, so eventually as developers learned more about the PSX, even if Jaguar development was evolving too, at some point around the 2nd/3rd generation of PSX titles the Jaguar would probably reach it's limit. Though before new information that Gorf has brought to light about the Jaguar through his research and development, the Jaguar would only have competed with first gen PSX titles with just good support. Gorf's research, from what he says, is going to finally bring the Jaguar's original promise of 64-bit power to light. It's just too bad he wasn't a developer for Atari back in the day, then we might have seen it's true power back then, instead of just programs that give you a teaser of it's true power like the Iron Soldier games, and Battlemorph and Battlesphere and MC3D, HoverStrike CD, Zero5, etc. The Jaguar's custom chips are a lot more powerful than many give credit, but you can't blame them from the example in games, the Jag's true weakness lay in it's bottlenecking 68000 chip and in a lack of RAM, both main, which could have been 6MB, but is only 2MB, and in lack of video and cache memory in respectable amounts. If the Risc chips had the memory they needed, and the 68000 is left alone for the most part or if the Jaguar never had it in the first place, the Jaguar's custom chips would perform at a level MUCH closer to the Playstation's.

Still, not too shabby for a system that came out 2 years before, and essentially had chips that were even older, since some of those custom chips were developed in '91-'93. I think If Atari could have gotten the Jaguar out in '93, in a national roll-out instead of just test markets, and with all the software from '93 and the national release titles of '94, it would have started of stronger and gained more interest earlier. If Atari had not screwed up it's reputation before the Jaguar, they could have had more top developers onboard much sooner and had a sooner and better introduction that could possibly have saved it, as well as getting the CD unit out on time instead of a year late, with little software support. It never had the support it should have had from the beginning. Don't blame the hardware. To find out more of what I refer to about Gorf's research and discoveries and how we will see true power from the Jaguar in the future, see the topic 'Jaguarvs32X' for starters. Though you'll have to suffer through a bunch of dialogue of 64-bit or not 64-bit.

If they would have fixed the bug in the hardware that made it difficult to program it would have been able to compete alot better.. we can blaim the Tramiels for all of it.

If they would have fixed the bug in the hardware that made it difficult to program it would have been able to compete alot better.. we can blaim the Tramiels for all of it.

Not sure if it's a "bug" or "bugs" but Gorf has figured out that one "BUG" is nonexistant, that the ATari developers and those who wrot the development manual, didn't know how to use the chips properly. This "bug" that I'm refering too, and Gorf may have other's he's taken care of, is the JUMP in main memory option, that was supposed to be viable, but Atari didn't know how to use it properly and concluded it was impossible and a "bug", but Gorf has figured this out, so in fact it's a non-existant bug and this feature will have DRASTIC effects for developer's and making better use of the RISC's.

Edited by Gunstar

No I don't believe the Jag could compete graphically, not even 2D, even though Rayman is virtually identical to it's PS counterpart. I think the question has been raised numerous times in the past, could the Jaguar run a perfect port of the PS game Raiden Project? I think the answer was a resounding no. You guys feel free to prove me wrong though.

The only way to answer that is to do a game-for-game comparison. Unfortunately, there aren't too many that appeared on both. Let's start with the list:

Baldies

Brain Dead 13

Doom

Myst

NBA Jam Tournament Edition

Primal Rage

Rayman

Soccer Kid

Sensible Soccer

Theme Park

Tempest 2000 - (Tempest X on PS)

Worms

Zoop

Now: Which game looks better on which system?

No I don't believe the Jag could compete graphically, not even 2D, even though Rayman is virtually identical to it's PS counterpart. I think the question has been raised numerous times in the past, could the Jaguar run a perfect port of the PS game Raiden Project? I think the answer was a resounding no. You guys feel free to prove me wrong though.

That is just plain false. The Jaguar could do Raiden Project, and If you have ever seen the Jaguar's Native Demo, you would know it could too. One thing is for sure, and that is that the Jaguar's 2D hardware is superior than the Playstation's, even if it doesn't have many examples, in the form of released games, but Native is a PERFECT example. Raiden on the Jaguar is yet another example of 68000 coding, hindering the Jaguar. Don't look at Raiden on the Jaguar and compare it to Raiden Project on the PSX, the PSX version was a much larger budget game, with superior development, plus, Raiden on the Jaguar was just being done as a straight arcade port, and not something designed to utilize the Jaguar's 2D abilities like Raide Project on the PSX utilized the PSX's 2D capabilities. Native, on the other hand, DOES utilize the Jaguar's superior 2D capabilities. I suggest refraining from your current judgement until you see Native, and not just the quicktime movie, but the real deal. Songbird has copies for sale for $3.

The only way to answer that is to do a game-for-game comparison. Unfortunately, there aren't too many that appeared on both. Let's start with the list:

Baldies

Brain Dead 13

Doom

Myst

Primal Rage

Rayman

Soccer Kid

Sensible Soccer

Theme Park

Worms

Zoop

Most of those games are so close they could be considered even, except for some minor advantages that the PSX CD versions have over the memory limited Jaguar cartridges. Even 3Dish games like Doom are nearly identical in most respects, except for area where they once again cut some corners merely due to the memory constraints faced with the cartridge format instead of CD, like lack of ingame music and some of the enemy characters/bosses. If the Jaguar CD unit had been given a real opportunity instead of being released just before the Jaguar's demise, we could have seen games that were even closer to PSX counterparts on the CD format. Myst and Baldies, etc. are CD format, and basically identical on both the PSX and Jaguar. Though Primal Rage CD is a case of more effort and better development on the PSX version than Jaguar version. One must remember that these same games were developed by different developers with different budgets, and that money and talent is also a key to getting the best version. In Time Warner's case Primal Rage on the PSX was both a higher priority for programmer resources, and better development tools to the Jaguar's pitiful tools. but in most cases with the games above the quality and implimentation is very close on both systems.

Edited by Gunstar

Baldies

Brain Dead 13

Doom

Myst

Primal Rage

Rayman

Soccer Kid

Sensible Soccer

Theme Park

Worms

Zoop

Most of those games are so close they could be considered even, except for some minor advantages that the PSX CD versions have over the memory limited Jaguar cartridges. Even 3Dish games like Doom are nearly identical in most respects, except for area where they once again cut some corners merely due to the memory constraints faced with the cartridge format instead of CD, like lack of ingame music and some of the enemy characters/bosses.

Of those games the only one I see that looks better oin PSX is Prmal rage but thats only because the sprites are bigger then in the Jag version, otherwsie they are both the same.

That is just plain false. The Jaguar could do Raiden Project, and If you have ever seen the Jaguar's Native Demo, you would know it could too. One thing is for sure, and that is that the Jaguar's 2D hardware is superior than the Playstation's, even if it doesn't have many examples, in the form of released games, but Native is a PERFECT example. Raiden on the Jaguar is yet another example of 68000 coding, hindering the Jaguar. Don't look at Raiden on the Jaguar and compare it to Raiden Project on the PSX, the PSX version was a much larger budget game, with superior development, plus, Raiden on the Jaguar was just being done as a straight arcade port, and not something designed to utilize the Jaguar's 2D abilities like Raide Project on the PSX utilized the PSX's 2D capabilities. Native, on the other hand, DOES utilize the Jaguar's superior 2D capabilities. I suggest refraining from your current judgement until you see Native, and not just the quicktime movie, but the real deal. Songbird has copies for sale for $3.

First, don't treat me like a dumb noob ok? I own the Native demo, try not to be so condescending. Raiden Project is clearly superior to Native for cryin out loud. It's a shmup classic with all kinds of exploding shrapnel flying all over the screen, with huge animated sprites and loads of on screen enemies. Native is generic and unfinished, to say it shows the superiority of the Jag hardware is insane.

Second, I'm not comparing Raiden on the Jaguar to Raiden Project on the PSX. I strictly asked if RAIDEN PROJECT could be perfectly ported to the Jaguar, and I don't think it could be. The port of Raiden II on Raiden Project is a far superior and more hardware intensive game, it's plain to see. How can you say the Jaguar hardware is superior to the Playstation? I like the Jag as much as anyone else, but I'm not blind. The PSX is two years newer than the Jag, it shouldn't be insulting to understand that the PS would be more powerful.

I stand up for Raiden on the Jaguar consistently (see anything familiar in my avatar?), I know it's actually better than the arcade original in some aspects, but Raiden II on the PS game is so much different I can't fathom the Jaguar doing this game. There's no real way to prove this, and pointing a finger at an unfinished demo of a game that is completely different in makeup doesn't prove anything either. The PS ended up having awesome 2d games, and it's 3d hardware was vastly superior, even the early and simple PS games like Assualt Rigs show this to be the case.

The Jag doesn't have superior anything to the Playstation. In the end it had some better ports than the Saturn and PS both, with games like Tempest 2000, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, but that doesn't mean that it's a better, superior console, I would never admit to that.

Edited by Gunstarhero

Not sure if it's a "bug" or "bugs" but Gorf has figured out that one "BUG" is nonexistant, that the ATari developers and those who wrot the development manual, didn't know how to use the chips properly. This "bug" that I'm refering too, and Gorf may have other's he's taken care of, is the JUMP in main memory option, that was supposed to be viable, but Atari didn't know how to use it properly and concluded it was impossible and a "bug", but Gorf has figured this out, so in fact it's a non-existant bug and this feature will have DRASTIC effects for developer's and making better use of the RISC's.

Is this documented somewhere?

Something I've always wondered because the architexture for the Jag looked very powerful and it was only cause it was hard to program fo did the many games look bad. So I was wondering, could the Jaguar have produced games on the same graphical level as the Playstation?

The JAguar can actually produce superior quality graphics....just at a much lower poly count and frame rate.

Raiden is hardly a game to rate either system on as both systems are easily more

powerful then the arcade counterpart.

Lets see a Trevor Mcfur on the PS1. Again, we are not talking gameplay here but graphics right?

The Jag will beat the PS1 at 2D no problem. It is not even a fight.

Rayman as graphically lovely as it is is hardly pushing the Jag's 2D.

The blitter and the OPL are still serious contenders for what they are

even wtih today's technology. the Jag will beat the PS1 in color alone

in both 2D and 3D.

Is this documented somewhere?

No I have not documented it yet. Atari did not know the machine enough to understand that

the jumps work, they just operate differently out of the local RAM of the GPU. This does NOT

apply to the DSP as the DSP is only 16 bit to the bus and would be actually slower than the 68k

running externally. If the Host processor was a true 64 bit processor instead of the 16 bit 68k,

then the DSP would have been able to run that way as well but the DSP is as wide as the host

of the system, up to 32 bits. The GPU is 32 bits internally bus wise but 64 bit external.

That is all i'll say for now.

First, don't treat me like a dumb fuck ok? I own the Native demo, try not to be so condescending. Raiden Project is clearly superior to Native for cryin out loud. It's a shmup classic with all kinds of exploding shrapnel flying all over the screen, with huge animated sprites and loads of on screen enemies. Native is generic and unfinished, to say it shows the superiority of the Jag hardware is insane.

I am willing to bet the PS1 Raiden is 256 colors...max. The Jag demo of Native is

true color or at veryleast 16 CRY, which is absolutely superior to 256 colors anyday.

The procesing power alone is twice as much.

Second, I'm not comparing Raiden on the Jaguar to Raiden Project on the PSX. I strictly asked if RAIDEN PROJECT could be perfectly ported to the Jaguar, and I don't think it could be.

It's ok to think and have an opinion but you need to beable to back it up with facts.

Games written with the 68k as the main processor dont count . Why, that is cutting

the jag clock in half and the bus in one quater width...that is why.

I stand up for Raiden on the Jaguar consistently (see anything familiar in my avatar?), I know it's actually better than the arcade original in some aspects, but Raiden II on the PS game is so much different I can't fathom the Jaguar doing this game. There's no real way to prove this, and pointing a finger at an unfinished demo of a game that is completely different in makeup doesn't prove anything either. The PS ended up having awesome 2d games, and it's 3d hardware was vastly superior, even the early and simple PS games like Assualt Rigs show this to be the case.

The Jag doesn't have superior anything to the Playstation.

Oh come now, that is just plain not ture my brutha!

The Jaguar will beat the PS1 at 2D on a bad day. The Jaguar will out color the PS1. It 's

graphical hardware is NOT dedicated to a specific task and is by far more flexible. It will

never do 30-60 fps AS LONG AS THE 68K IS AWAKE DURING THE MAIN GAME LOOP.

None of the games you use to compare are RISC only....in fact No Jaguar game is RISC

only except the ones we are working on. Everytime the 68k touches the bus you cut the

clock in half and the buswidth to one quarter. You nor anyone has EVER seen the real

power of the Jaguar when coded properly becasue it never HAS been coded properly.

Scatologic are the closest I know. They did not only because they took Atari's word at it.

You can not code a sysetm properly with out the proper tools..they do not exsist.

The ps1's only strong point is it ability to harwaer texture polygons. It is horible

at shading and anti aliasing texture. HoverStrike may run a 10 FPS but its displa

y is by far superior to anything the PS1 can do with textures. Why? the PS1 is dedicated

with simple texturing features. It can not do anything like the blitter can. Trust me when I say

you are just plain wrong here.

The Jaguar is not as fast becasue of the 68k but it will certainly be by far much higher quality

of graphical flexibility.

If you ever get to see what was once known as Gorf PluZ you will see you are simply

wrong on this. This game will put at hurtin on the PS1 as it just wont hadle the color at high

speed like the Jag will. The PS1 can do certain things faster but no better. Not by a long shot.

the only real smart chip in that machine is the mips r3000. Without that the PS1 would have

been even less flexible as the MIPS chips aer quite able to make up for its lack of flexibility.

Give us some time...we'll show ya! :D

First, don't treat me like a dumb noob ok? I own the Native demo, try not to be so condescending. Raiden Project is clearly superior to Native for cryin out loud. It's a shmup classic with all kinds of exploding shrapnel flying all over the screen, with huge animated sprites and loads of on screen enemies. Native is generic and unfinished, to say it shows the superiority of the Jag hardware is insane.

Second, I'm not comparing Raiden on the Jaguar to Raiden Project on the PSX. I strictly asked if RAIDEN PROJECT could be perfectly ported to the Jaguar, and I don't think it could be. The port of Raiden II on Raiden Project is a far superior and more hardware intensive game, it's plain to see. How can you say the Jaguar hardware is superior to the Playstation? I like the Jag as much as anyone else, but I'm not blind. The PSX is two years newer than the Jag, it shouldn't be insulting to understand that the PS would be more powerful.

The Jag doesn't have superior anything to the Playstation. In the end it had some better ports than the Saturn and PS both, with games like Tempest 2000, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, but that doesn't mean that it's a better, superior console, I would never admit to that.

Well, since Gorf answered most everything here better than I could, I just catch this last bit here, (though I will apologize for taking you for a noob, but your ignorance of the Jaguar's power and capabilities dictated that) I never once suggest, either, that the Jaguar was a superior console to the PS1, just that they both have superior abilities in certain areas, the Jaguar's being 2D (which,power-wise, as Gorf stated we've really not even seen yet) and the Playstation's are in Polygons with all the bells and whistles. And since 3D was and still is the mainstay of the time, the Playstation was a superior console for the marketplace. But it is not superior in every way to the Jaguar and the Jaguar is superior in certain ways itself.

I can understand the easy misconceptions and pre-judgements of the Jaguar's technical abilities, given the majority of released software that never properly tapped it's power. But if you are not a noob, you would know from years of discussions with the Jaguar developer's, past and present, of what the Jaguar is really capable of, and that as Gorf promises, we will one day see. The developers ARE the ones who know/learn the capabilities of the system. And we're lucky to have some excellent coders in the Jaguar community underground today. Ones like Gorf who have learned how to use the hardware properly in coding, and have evidence of this fact.

Unfortunately, for most Jaguar developers back in the day, even those close to or IN Atari, many games were not the top priority with budget and concern, so no one ever bothered to learn the Jaguar back then and used the poor tools, poor manual and the poor 68K.

Edited by Gunstar

I think the JAG stands out mainly as a steller 2D console, if Rayman had been released as a JAG CD it probly would have been identical to the Saturn and PSX versions (though Saturn was alot better with 2D then the PSX) since the only real difference was the music :P

I think the JAG stands out mainly as a steller 2D console, if Rayman had been released as a JAG CD it probly would have been identical to the Saturn and PSX versions (though Saturn was alot better with 2D then the PSX) since the only real difference was the music :P

And remember, that Rayman, as good as it is, still uses the system-crippling 68000 chip for most of the processing. If programmed properly, by Gorf's standards, The Jaguar version could have been even better, with addition parallax scrolling like the PS1 version, etc. Though I'm quite happy with the Jaguar version music as-is. I do wish they had been given the cartridge memory to include extra digitized and other features like Rayman's voice. Rayman is an example of a top-priority and budget game on the Jaguar, which is rare, even UbiSoft eventually concentrated on the Saturn and PSX versions, but luckily the Jaguar version had been given top priority for the vast majority of it's development, so though it's release was delayed, it was and excellent version. They tried hard to develop a superb game for the Jaguar with Rayman. They even improved it along the way. For example, I remember(and still have) early ads that only claimed 24fps animation, but in the end it ran at 60fps!

Edited by Gunstar

"I do wish they had been given the memory for Rayman's voice."

Rayman has a voice? :-o

well.. he doesn't really say any words, but he mumbles stuff (I havn't played my PSX version in awhile can't remember exactly what he "says")

Yeah, I know you can't tell what he says, but it always looked strange seeing him look at you and speak, but hear nothing but silence. Also, doesn't he make a noise when doing the "rasberry" with his tounge(in the PS1/Saturn versions)?

Edited by Gunstar

And remember, that Rayman, as good as it is, still uses the system-crippling 68000 chip for most of the processing. If programmed properly, by Gorf's standards, The Jaguar version could have been even better, with addition parallax scrolling like the PS1 version, etc. Though I'm quite happy with the Jaguar version music as-is. I do wish they had been given the cartridge memory to include extra digitized and other features like Rayman's voice. Rayman is an example of a top-priority and budget game on the Jaguar, which is rare, even UbiSoft eventually concentrated on the Saturn and PSX versions, but luckily the Jaguar version had been given top priority for the vast majority of it's development, so though it's release was delayed, it was and excellent version. They tried hard to develop a superb game for the Jaguar with Rayman. They even improved it along the way. For example, I remember(and still have) early ads that only claimed 24fps animation, but in the end it ran at 60fps!

The 68k was not even the issue here though...even with the 68k the Jag acn in its sleep do what the PS1 or Saturn did.

THe real trouble is the meager 2 megs of memory. 24 bit images eat that stuff up quick. Playstation ans saturn had 4 megs ram and 3 more years to top it..they did in the 3D not in the 2D.