IGNORED

COULD Jag have competed with the Playstation Graphically?

A_Gorilla

If the Jag had anywhere near the kind of 3rd party support Sony had for its Playstation, the Jag could have easily nipped at the PS's heels just like the Saturn did. But, the Playstation just did everything so right, in my opinion, that there was no beating it really...

If the Jag had anywhere near the kind of 3rd party support Sony had for its Playstation, the Jag could have easily nipped at the PS's heels just like the Saturn did. But, the Playstation just did everything so right, in my opinion, that there was no beating it really...

The Jaguar needed the tools. They did not exsist....not in a form that made use of the jaguar.

True. :) It seemed Atari was eager to get 3rd party support, according to interviews in the mid 90's...but I guess they forgot about the tools part...to help said 3rd parties. :D And on the first page of the tools manuals, it should say in huge font, "PLEASE USE MORE THAN THE 68K!!!" ;)

I'm really curious to see some of Gorf's demos, but I don't have the resources to make it play properly and I may just be doing it wrong with emulators and such.. is there anyway maybe somebody can construct some video files and either post them here or on Youtube?

I'm really curious to see some of Gorf's demos, but I don't have the resources to make it play properly and I may just be doing it wrong with emulators and such.. is there anyway maybe somebody can construct some video files and either post them here or on Youtube?

Here is a still of a ..well..you acn all decide what it looks like...;)

post-3357-1182185865_thumb.jpg

post-3357-1182186114_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gorf

Right now these are with a lot of 68k code still and I am still getting 30-60 fps.

We are using a lmao sample renderer from Atari that is seriuosly underperforming.

It uses 16 bit data instead of 32/64 bit data...that is being changed and we know we

will see a quadruple of perfomance enhancement from the new renderer alone.

Gorf, you seriously made me wet my pants as you're using graphics from my FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!! (aka THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!) :lust:

Man, Deadly Discs of Tron 2000 would have been awesome hah hah

Gorf, you seriously made me wet my pants as you're using graphics from my FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!! (aka THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!) :lust:

Then you may shit when you see the video.... :D

Here....check this out...

http://www.atariage.com/gorf/KylrByte.mpg

Tron...well...I guess you recognized the Recognizer.... :D

Edited by Gorf

Wow, Gorf I will admit those screens are pretty impressive.

Stick wit me kid....you'll see what I've been saying...and remember, that is still

a very unoptimized and 68k use version...we have plenty of room to play yet.

No it WILL NOT have textures...the G-shading suits it way to well.

Also the frame rate of the movie I just posted is half of what it actually moves at...my

capture card is not the greatest. :(

Stick wit me kid....you'll see what I've been saying...and remember, that is still

Also the frame rate of the movie I just posted is half of what it actually moves at...my

wow, great work Gorf!

wow, great work Gorf!

Thanks, but it has a long way to go and it will be good or it just wont be. I wont release lameness.

I was reading the interview with Mr. Tremiel and he said the Jaguar is as powerful, if not more powerful than the Saturn?

Can anyone agree with this?

The whole argument of which is more powerful is TOTALLY subjective to what you ae doing.

It all depends. If you are going to write a game suited to lower poly counts The Jaguar will

give you a better quality texturing than the PSX. Im not sure about the Saturn though.

The Saturn uses Super H processors. Those chips have a very robust instruction set and can

do stuff like square root and heaveir math in a cycle or two and that make up for a lack of

hardware. I would have loved to see an SH2 in the Jaguar instead of the 68k. The PSX or Saturn

would not have stood a chance....Go look at Area 51 nxt time you are at an arcade.

that is the Jagaur chip set...same speed..just more memory and a host processor that does not

choke the bus with to one quarter an half the speed.

The Jag will keep up if not out do them both in 2D. Thie Blitter and OPL are easily the most

flexible combination for 2D anywhere. So much so that the Jaguar would indeed be the PERFECT

Arcade classic emulator machine. IT could emulate anything before its time with the right code.

You've seen the lousy horrid attepts on PSX and Saturn. You can tell these two machines are

more suited for 3D than 2D even at a detriment. If you want tons of polies and do not mind

the run of the mill 256 color (typical) color textures then the PSX is for you.

the Jaguar may not beable to put up as much on the screen mainly due to lack of memory...

(24 bit eats up a lot of memory) but it will out flex either machine hands down. 2D was not the

main focus of Saturn and PSX...3D was. the Jaguar was intended to be the ultimate 2D machine

with new 3d realistic capabilities.

The fact is, if you take Tom And Jerry and use a MIPS R3000, You will CRUSH the PSX and the Saturn.

the 68k just gets in the way. The Jaguar design is crippling Tom and Jerry. The cojag design is what

it could have and should have been. The Jaguar would have cost $350 but I'd have still bought it and

you would have a real fight in the 90's between the companies with Atari on top. They would have had

3 years and the MIPS/SH processors have REAL tools!!! It would have been a whole new ball game.

if I were the Tramiels..this is the specs of the machine I would have released...

The Jaguar was supposed to be 40 HMZ originally so we;ll compromise...

and instead of SuperH or MIPS....

Seperate GPU RISC core at 32 mhz with 16k cache.

This would have been possible as no blitter or opl

silicon would be needed.

Tom

Jerry

4M RAM split up as follows.

1 meg RAM for Jerry on a seperate bus.

sound running with no slowdown to any other processor.

2 meg RAM for TOM on a seperate bus.

the Blitter and opl along with the GPU can run ALWAYS

at top speed.

Another 64k ram for CPU to CPU information sharing and to keep them in sync.

All processors would run in parallel on their own busses at the same time.

All info needed for the game level would be preloaded to its respective processor.

Now!!!!... 26.29mhz times 3 is 79.77HMZ...NO BUS CONTENTIONS!!!!! EVER!!!

...well except when you dump info to the unified cahce for other processors to

see. But you would TRULY get that speed (ideally that is) in parallel.

So TOM can render at full speed NEVER being slowed down by the bus.

The GPU core would be able to do some SERIOUS AI at the same time.

The DSP with all of its own memory would have the sample loaded already,

play them and be able to perform all types of seroius professional effects of them

while playing back.

The possiblities for TOM and Jerry are enourmous.

I was reading the interview with Mr. Tremiel and he said the Jaguar is as powerful, if not more powerful than the Saturn?

Sounds like a simple black and white explanation for something that's pretty grey too me.

I've always thought "power" is a term used by marketing people to give fanboys fodder and it's seldom that "cut and dry".

Sounds like a simple black and white explanation for something that's pretty grey too me.

I've always thought "power" is a term used by marketing people to give fanboys fodder and it's seldom that "cut and dry".

A good way to put it actually. Also, you have to remember when and what the machine was

designed for.

At the time Jagaur was intended to crush any other 2D machine of its time and did just that.

It was the ONLY machine in a console price range that could handle 3D as well.

Remember....Doom was the 3D of that day...psuedo skewed bit maps..not polies.

The jag was given power well beyond that of those old school consoles.

3D like the PSX and the Saturn were not even seen on PC unless you could afford a

serious high end PC back then. It was three years later when Sony and Sega

stepped in. Atari would have been fine if they just made sure the tools were useful

and aimed at the GPU/DSP...even possibly NOT allowing the 68k to do anything more

than start up the system. If the tools were done properly, you would not need to worry

about that old tech chip anyway. The trouble with this is Atari did not even know what

we now know about the Jaguar. Even with better tools they would have missed a few

things.....very important things. Let's face it..this was a new frontier and the Tramiels

were not as prepared as they thought they were.

Edited by Gorf

The Tramiels were full of it, I wouldn't give anything they said the benefit of the doubt, it's their fault the Jag didn't fare too well.

The Tramiels were full of it, I wouldn't give anything they said the benefit of the doubt, it's their fault the Jag didn't fare too well.

What the Tramiels did is design for the future, only to live in the past and present(the 'then' present of course).

Edited by Gorf

I wouldn't shortcut the Saturn's 2D capabilities so much, VDP1's quad rendering gives it a large advantage in drawing enormous amounts of sprite objects very quickly. Coupled with the enormous amount of backgrounds VDP2 can draw "for free," I wouldn't doubt the Saturn being able to out-render the Jaguar in all cases unless the Jaguar was heavily redesigned in the way Gorf has described. Take a look at Radiant Silvergun for example, the combination of loads of 2D objects and 3D models coupled with decent textures and heavy backgrounds all running at 60FPS is quite a feat in itself.

The Jaguar's advantage is, and always will be, color and flexibility.

Edited by TailChao

So Gorf on this subject of Jag vs PSX I was wondering about specific games. For exampleI was wondering if the Jag would've been able to do games such as Final Fantasy VII and FVIII as well as polygon heavy games like tomb raider as well as the PSX did them

Edited by A_Gorilla

So Gorf on this subject of Jag vs PSX I was wondering about specific games. For exampleI was wondering if the Jag would've been able to do games such as Final Fantasy VII and FVIII as well as polygon heavy games like tomb raider as well as the PSX did them

You need to read whatI have already posted.