IGNORED

COULD Jag have competed with the Playstation Graphically?

A_Gorilla

Again..my whole point is, ther is more left under the hood....I hope to beable to

prove it.Why? Because Jag fans have been bugging me to since the mid 90's to

do so. I feel somehow the need to satify them and myself as well.

Wish me luck!

:D

Cool, don't forget the rearview mirror. :D

gt2.jpg

Again..my whole point is, ther is more left under the hood....I hope to beable to

Wish me luck!

gt2.jpg

As if we dont have enough titles planned as it is....besides dont think racers...

think more classic updates. We are older gamers (pharts) in this dev team. ;)

We do have a Racer planned though...that is Scotts baby though.

• 6 months later...

Wish me luck!

gt2.jpg

As if we dont have enough titles planned as it is....besides dont think racers...

There a list of these oldies that you are updating?

Wish me luck!

gt2.jpg

There a list of these oldies that you are updating?

No actually...not here....and none are named or label as anything you would recognize.

They will 'remind' you of classic gaming titles and are not one to one clones.

I think that the Jaguar died too early for the comparison, I've been marked by Soulstar and Native, after playing those 2 "games" i've understood that the Jaguar is 64 bit of pure power and i belive that if it could live longer the Atari could destroy the evil empire of the Sony!!!

Atari 4ever!!!! I belive in the way of the Jaguar and in the light that i can see playing it!!!

It would be awesome to see what a large, rich team, such as those that worked on the Playstation, could come up with on the Jag. =D. Namco, Squaresoft, Psygnosis etc. =D

It's a real pity that the Sega/Atari deal never had any games comes to fruition. That would have been hella awesome to see some Sega arcade games on the Jag CD! ;)

It would be awesome to see what a large, rich team, such as those that worked on the Playstation, could come up with on the Jag. =D. Namco, Squaresoft, Psygnosis etc. =D

It's a real pity that the Sega/Atari deal never had any games comes to fruition. That would have been hella awesome to see some Sega arcade games on the Jag CD! ;)

That could have been a good deal for Atari, but I doubt that any Sega software ported to the Jaguar would have been done by the famous Sega development teams. What would most likely have happened was that Atari had the license to get many Sega games onto the Jaguar, but it would have been up to them to get them ported inhouse or sourced out, so they may not have turned out as good as if the Sega teams were to do the ports themselves. This was a law suit settlement, remember, and was just a way fo Sega to avoid even greater losses, but I highly doubt that they would have ever had the intention of porting Sega titles inhouse to compete with their own systems...

It COULD have helped Atari, but with the shoddy way they ran or dealt with their own development teams and third party developers more than likely the ported Sega games would have been rushed, shoe-string budget ports, to get the Sega titles to market to make money, with little or no quality control. As was common with many games released for the Jaguar. I still find it amazing that the Jaguar actually has a couple dozen really good games considering...the dream of those Sega games on the Jaguar is probably far better than the reality would have been. And not becuase the Jaguar couldn't handle good conversions, but becuase Atari couldn't handle good conversions.

Edited by Gunstar

One day im going to get back to my experiments and redesign the bus of the jaguar

the 68EC020 as the cojag has. Two modes...one like the original jag and a bus switch mode

to a seperate 64/128k bus so the other chips can hog the 64 bit bus and the 020 can do

game logic without interfering. Then of course, a flip of a bit and the 020 can now talk

to the two monsters to pass game logic info from time to time. I think it would drastically

help the crippling caused by the current setup.

I've been eyeing a similar mod, along with using the full 6MB of RAM that the chips could support. I kept hitting my head on the 2MB of RAM when I was experimenting with the Jag.

Wish me luck!

We still are bugging you about it

* pokes stick at frog *

Wish me luck!

We still are bugging you about it

* pokes stick at frog *

You dont want to chase the 'frog' away now do you?

This is a pretty awesome thread, but I dont think there's really anything that the Jaguar could do that couldn't be duplicated or exceeded on the PSX.

The coolest things with the blitter often involved explosion effects ( writing out with gaps.. ) which would be most difficult to reproduce on the PSX - but they could be done

Even getting a mode 7 effect running was a pain - I had an olympics demo where the stadium floor was a 512x256 CRY image - easy to spin around at 60Hz , but such a pain after the more memory efficient mechanism on the SNES!

Given similar low level programming it's quite easy to generate 'more' perspective correct texturing on the PSX - but it was really not worth it in many cases, as the graphics were 'good enough' and the programming efforts had moved on towards the 3d geometry/world processing rather than the triangle drawing.

This is a pretty awesome thread, but I dont think there's really anything that the Jaguar could do that couldn't be duplicated or exceeded on the PSX.

The coolest things with the blitter often involved explosion effects ( writing out with gaps.. ) which would be most difficult to reproduce on the PSX - but they could be done

Even getting a mode 7 effect running was a pain - I had an olympics demo where the stadium floor was a 512x256 CRY image - easy to spin around at 60Hz , but such a pain after the more memory efficient mechanism on the SNES!

Given similar low level programming it's quite easy to generate 'more' perspective correct texturing on the PSX - but it was really not worth it in many cases, as the graphics were 'good enough' and the programming efforts had moved on towards the 3d geometry/world processing rather than the triangle drawing.

Do you still have this Olympics demo?

No! Playstation was a true 32 bit machine! Not a fake 64 bit machine! The 2d games on the Jag were not even better then Super NES or Genesis! The 3d on Jaguar was grainy! Playstation, The true 64 bit Nintendo, and the Sega Saturn would hand Jaguar its own A$$ on any given day! If it had the ability to perform better then it did......then why didnt it? You say the jag can do all these wonderful things, yet I have not seen a Jag game that blows my mind! I know graphics are not everything, but the only great game I remeber on the Jaguar was Tempest 2000! But I can play that on my Sega Saturn. I dont even know if it looked better then the 3DO! I would imagine being a fan of this system would be very hard. You would definatley have to be Biased! Which I am sure most of you are! LOL! :P

Especially if you are trying to compare it to the PSX!

There is one simple reason why i still prefer my Jag over the PSX and it goes something like this:

I think i'll play a game to unwind after a hard days work.

*Fires up PSX after removing 3 inches of dust from top*

Okay here we go! *pops in disc*

.....Loading

.....Loading

.....Loading

.....Loading

*goes to get sandwich*

.....Loading

Press Start!

.....Loading

.....Loading

.....Loading

.....Loading

*files paperwork to apply for social security*

Ok game on! *plays for 5 min*

......Loading

......Loading

......Loading

*touches up gray hairs forming in my beard with Grecian Formula*

Ok games back! *plays for 6 min*

......Loading

......Loading

*Rips PSX out of TV and hurls out the window into middle of street where it's promptly run over by a Bus*

Hooks up Jag or N64 or my trusty 3D0 hell i'd even take my Phillips CDi over the PSX

My point is i feel those in the know are correct the Jag could be a true performer! we need to give the fine folks who are devoting their valuable spare time to unlocking the Jag time to do it, once done i think we will all be amazed!

The PSX wowed me at first but i quickly grew tired of the unacceptable load times and it's inability to read discs that had even minor scratches whereas my 3D0 could play discs that look like the were chewed on by a wolf of all my systems the PSX gets zero attention now and has for years i just don't use it it's to slow.

As stated many times in this thread the thing holding back the Jag is the miserable 68000, work around that and i think this system would knock all kinda socks off! The homebrews would be nothing short of incredible!

The load times are not that bad son! You must be talking about sega cd! The jag is cart based so of course it is going to be instant. The N64 was the same but it was a true 64 bit machine! But as far as the PSX..... I would rather wait a little for a great game to load then a instant crap game from a JAG! Go file some more papers and make a sandwich while you wait for that even crappier Phillips CDI to load! LOL!

Load times are of course subjective what i find unacceptable may not be as such to someone else, i realize that cartridges are instant but i also recall the load times being much better on my 3D0 than the PSX , great games? on the PSX? again subjective, i find that sometimes the unknown or the obscure titles can be much more enjoyable that the so called "Greatest Hits" on consoles like the PSX but i see we are off track so to help rectify matters let me offer this.

As to what a system is truly capable of we could perhaps look at the NES the early games were blocky and plain (Urban Champion anyone?) and yet by the end of that systems life span what games did we see? Super Mario Brothers 3, The Mega Man series with it's tight gameplay and crisp graphics, how did such a system with the lowly blocky graphics transform itself into the system capable of such games as SMB3 and the excellent Capcom titles? because the developers took time to understand the capabilities of the hardware and push it to it's very limits! The Jag never had such a chance as it lost support due to poor managerial choices and some admittedly lack luster games, what we have now are some very dedicated fans who realize the great power in the Jag console and are working to unlock it! give it a chance i think you and many other will be amazed!

No! Playstation was a true 32 bit machine! Not a fake 64 bit machine! The 2d games on the Jag were not even better then Super NES or Genesis! The 3d on Jaguar was grainy! Playstation, The true 64 bit Nintendo, and the Sega Saturn would hand Jaguar its own A$$ on any given day! If it had the ability to perform better then it did......then why didnt it? You say the jag can do all these wonderful things, yet I have not seen a Jag game that blows my mind! I know graphics are not everything, but the only great game I remeber on the Jaguar was Tempest 2000! But I can play that on my Sega Saturn. I dont even know if it looked better then the 3DO! I would imagine being a fan of this system would be very hard. You would definatley have to be Biased! Which I am sure most of you are! LOL! :P

Evidence that Jag is a 'fake' 64 bit machine please. Im a coder. Not biased...The Jag is a 32 bit wider system then PSX.

It can move and manipulate 64 bits in one machine cycle.....that is something the PSX will NEVER do. The PSX will ALWAYS

put more polies on the screen and they will alwways look the same crappy way they always have, no matter what tricks

have been used to hide them. The Jaguar will destroy the PSX in 2D. Destroy it.

The load times are not that bad son! You must be talking about sega cd! The jag is cart based so of course it is going to be instant. The N64 was the same but it was a true 64 bit machine! But as far as the PSX..... I would rather wait a little for a great game to load then a instant crap game from a JAG! Go file some more papers and make a sandwich while you wait for that even crappier Phillips CDI to load! LOL!

Funny.....I have a Jag CD. IT blows either sytem out of the water in load times.

There were fake 64-bit machines? Where?!? *looks around* Oh, you were trying a funny on the Jag. Well, dude, maybe you should look sometime. Jag had approx 1.5 years of development, SNES had close to 5 by the time the Jag came out. Will the SNES look better, likely. Can the Jag look better, most definately. And bringing out the N64, a machine 2 years it's senior, and then using it's games from 7 years Jag's senior for comparison is just silly.

If you compare the Jag vs the first-gen PSX games, the Jag is behind, but only marginally. Now, the PSX did take off performance-wise, but it was also given the opportunity to. Not so with little Jag. I've spent years studying what the Jags pipe was capable of, and it could easily keep up in the polygons to the PSX, and do better in the audio and IO handling department. The Jag's main limitation was management made.

This thread is all about "could the Jag have beaten", and to answer that you have to qualify the terms of it. Could the Jag as it existed in 1993 have beaten the PSX? Not in all honesty. Every trick you pull, you might have gotten close. Could a CoJag with the RAM, fixed UART and a 68k that wasn't choking the bus? Easily, as Area 51 and Maximum Force demonstrate. The Jaguar's chips are capable, more than.

Hey Gorf, got the Jag GCC handy? I think we should mess with this guys head.

Could a CoJag with the RAM, fixed UART and a 68k that wasn't choking the bus? Easily, as Area 51 and Maximum Force demonstrate. The Jaguar's chips are capable, more than.

Area 51 and Maximum Force are FMV games. Hardly a good demonstration of the COJAG hardware's capabilities.