IGNORED

COULD Jag have competed with the Playstation Graphically?

A_Gorilla

Could a CoJag with the RAM, fixed UART and a 68k that wasn't choking the bus? Easily, as Area 51 and Maximum Force demonstrate. The Jaguar's chips are capable, more than.

Area 51 and Maximum Force are FMV games. Hardly a good demonstration of the COJAG hardware's capabilities.

If that's the case, that is, that these "FMV" games (and I'm not saying they aren't, just that there's a LOT more than FMV going on there) are hardly a demonstration for the COJAG's abilities, and the Saturn and PSX are supposedly so much superior, then why couldn't they pull off arcade perfect conversions of these games? After all, the arcade versions are only on Jaguar Hardware with an HD and some more memory basically. Now, I've never seen Maximum force on the Saturn or PSX, and I'm not sure if it was released for them, but I have seen Area 51 and they are utter crap compared to the arcade co-jag version. So, there MUST be something much more extensive than just some FMV to these games if the Saturn and PSX couldn't do a good version. Besides, a far as I know, these are the only coJag games to use as examples... ;) But, I'm sure that the COJAG could have done even better than these two titles as well, but I don't agree that they aren't using it's capabilities quite a bit.

Edited by Gunstar

Could a CoJag with the RAM, fixed UART and a 68k that wasn't choking the bus? Easily, as Area 51 and Maximum Force demonstrate. The Jaguar's chips are capable, more than.

Area 51 and Maximum Force are FMV games. Hardly a good demonstration of the COJAG hardware's capabilities.

If that's the case, that is, that these "FMV" games (and I'm not saying they aren't, just that there's a LOT more than FMV going on there) are hardly a demonstration for the COJAG's abilities, and the Saturn and PSX are supposedly so much superior, then why couldn't they pull off arcade perfect conversions of these games? After all, the arcade versions are only on Jaguar Hardware with an HD and some more memory basically. Now, I've never seen Maximum force on the Saturn or PSX, and I'm not sure if it was released for them, but I have seen Area 51 and they are utter crap compared to the arcade co-jag version. So, there MUST be something much more extensive than just some FMV to these games if the Saturn and PSX couldn't do a good version. Besides, a far as I know, these are the only coJag games to use as examples... ;) But, I'm sure that the COJAG could have done even better than these two titles as well, but I don't agree that they aren't using it's capabilities quite a bit.

The Sega Saturn pulled off great 2d arcade hits! The PSX pulled off Tekken 3 very good.... something that the Jaguar would only wish it could do. But lets say hypothetically that the Jag was the MOST POWERFUL SYSTEM EVER! It did not unleash it, and well.....its a little too late now. Besides there is no evidence on the Jag that shows power in either 2d or 3d! Sega Saturn would kill the Jag on 2d and even 3d! The PSX I think can do the same, especially on 3d. The N64.... the true 64 bit can do the best 3d for all those systems. 2d was never the N64 better qualities. But It did better then any Jag 2d title. Compare the Jaguar to the 3DO! Thats a more realistic discussion! Yuk Yuk Yuk!

The Sega Saturn pulled off great 2d arcade hits! The PSX pulled off Tekken 3 very good.... something that the Jaguar would only wish it could do. But lets say hypothetically that the Jag was the MOST POWERFUL SYSTEM EVER! It did not unleash it, and well.....its a little too late now. Besides there is no evidence on the Jag that shows power in either 2d or 3d! Sega Saturn would kill the Jag on 2d and even 3d! The PSX I think can do the same, especially on 3d. The N64.... the true 64 bit can do the best 3d for all those systems. 2d was never the N64 better qualities. But It did better then any Jag 2d title. Compare the Jaguar to the 3DO! Thats a more realistic discussion! Yuk Yuk Yuk!

I think in some ways the 3d0 was better as well...

If you stuck a HD on the PSX ( rather than the CD ) it would be quite easy to increase the quality of the fmv's

First of all, you need to take a reading comprehension referesher course maybe, becuase the immediate discussion that you replied to (apart from the thread as a whole) was the COJAG, not the Jaguar. The RISC chips used in both are the same, but the COJAG uses a 32-bit 68020 co-processor chip instead of the Jaguar's 16-bit 68000 co-processor chip, and has a hard drive like the XBOX and about 3-4 times the memory, the COJAG IS DEFINATELY more powerful than the Saturn or Playstation just as Sega's arcade hardware (of the era of Saturn,Jaguar,PSX&COJAG), though including similiar RISC chips to the Saturn, is more powerful hardware than the Saturn, which is why the Saturn couldn't do arcade perfect versions of Sega arcade games either.

So, if you were able to wrap your mind around that, and realize that I wasn't refering to the Jaguar in the first place, so your response is irrelevent to what you quoted, I'll now address your misinformation on the Jaguar: It is more powerful in 2D than anything upto the Dreamcast, BUT little if any Jaguar software took full advantage of this 2D power, as has been stated many times before, becuase the Jaguar's development tools sucked for the developers back in the day, so they didn't tap all the power, one major reason was becuase they didn't have proper tools to develop on the RISC chips, they often relied on the 16-bit 68000 chip similiar to the one on the Sega Genesis (though nearly twice as fast) and used little of the real power RISC chips. There are some exellent examples of great 2D on the Jaguar, just not in released games except for a few, Like Super Burnout, Val di'Isere Skiing&Snowboarding, Power Drive RAlly, etc. But take a look at the Demo of the unreleased game NATIVE for the Jaguar (available on Jaguar CD from several sources) and you'll see 2D graphics that EASILY compare to anything the PSX or Saturn or any other 32/64-bit system has, and it's STILL not exploiting the full 2D potential of the Jaguar. Not to even mention that the Jaguar was restricted to 2-4MB cartridges when the PSX and Saturn had 600-800MB CD's! And if you actually include the Jaguar CD unit as a part of the Jaguar, then it too can have much better games and it shows in the software released, even if it is still not making the best use of the Jaguar. The N64 was different becuase they had special cartridges that could hold as much as a CD, theJaguar didn't, it's carts have about 100-200 times less memory than CD's. The PSX and Saturn have these system advantages, that's SYSTEM advantages, which is different than RISC chip/processor power. The Jaguar has RISC chips that are very comparible to those in the PSX &Saturn, but unfortunately were not used fully or were crippled do to the rest or the Jaguar SYSTEM being underpowered to take full advantage of the RISC chips. The PSX and Saturn also have an extra Megabyte of video ram (the 3DO too) that the jaguar doesn't have. As a system the Jaguar has some hurdles to overcome, that were never fully overcome yet, but with the right tools, bugs bypassed and programmers with real heart for the system, This is starting to change now.

But, due to poor development tools, and under funded and rushed development houses, and some system "bugs" that helped cripple the Jaguar's RISC chips, the games on the Jaguar don't show it's power and don't compare favoribly to the Saturn or PSX and others of the day that didn't have all the problems surounding the Jaguar. But NOW, after years of die-hard development teams and hombrew programmers, most of the crippling hardware "bugs" have been addressed and are no longer a problem, and after years of underground programming, techniques and tools have been and are being created, finally, that should have been there from the start. Now, finally, we'll start seeing software that is more worthy of the Jaguar's abilities, though since it's underground, it will be a trickle and take time. But you are right that as it stands, with the Jaguar's memory limitations, the 3DO is more comparible to the Jaguar than the PSX and Saturn, judging by the software for the most part, but, the Jaguar's RISC chips, if not for being crippled by the other system problems, are more than enough to keep up with, and surpass at least in 2D, later systems like the PSX and Saturn and even the N64. Which is why we got onto the subject of the arcade COJAG in the first place, becuase it uses the same RISC chips but is much more powerful than the Jaguar since it has more memory and lacks the "bugs" the Jaguar had. This COULD be different in the future where we will finally see games coming, in both 2&3D that are MUCH more comparible to PSX games. But the Jaguar will never be able to toss around as many raw polygons as the PSX or Saturn, but it has the ability to do far better texturemapping, combined with a new-found ability to toss around more raw polygons, with some smart programming and artistry, 3D games that are very comparible and in someways (textures) are possible. Whether these games are ever made is a different matter. Afterall, we have small development teams and individuals attempting to make games that it took 20-30 people to do to get the results seen in the epic PSX and Saturn games.

Edited by Gunstar

I think that - although it was a very nice system, there really is no way that the jaguar would compete with the PSX..

As polygons get smaller, the overhead of blitter setup increases to the point where the gpu can be completely bogged down with drawing triangles - and although the DSP could handle transformations it would be way less powerfull than the GTE on the PSX.. and finally with the blitter running quite heavily, the main bus would end up pretty fully used, and the 68k would be starved ..

I'm not completely convinced by the claims of better quality texturing either - what is this based on? Is it the versions of doom?

( This thread has made me quite keen to dig out my old gpu code - and get a jag to run stuff on again :) )

I think that - although it was a very nice system, there really is no way that the jaguar would compete with the PSX..

As polygons get smaller, the overhead of blitter setup increases to the point where the gpu can be completely bogged down with drawing triangles - and although the DSP could handle transformations it would be way less powerfull than the GTE on the PSX.. and finally with the blitter running quite heavily, the main bus would end up pretty fully used, and the 68k would be starved ..

I'm not completely convinced by the claims of better quality texturing either - what is this based on? Is it the versions of doom?

( This thread has made me quite keen to dig out my old gpu code - and get a jag to run stuff on again :) )

Take a look at some of the Textures on Hover Strike CD. Very very sharp. Also you'll have to talk to Oppressor, but he claims he could not do, as far as physics etc what he did for BS on the Jag if he did it on the PSX.

First of all, you need to take a reading comprehension referesher course maybe, becuase the immediate discussion that you replied to (apart from the thread as a whole) was the COJAG, not the Jaguar. The RISC chips used in both are the same, but the COJAG uses a 32-bit 68020 co-processor chip instead of the Jaguar's 16-bit 68000 co-processor chip, and has a hard drive like the XBOX and about 3-4 times the memory, the COJAG IS DEFINATELY more powerful than the Saturn or Playstation just as Sega's arcade hardware (of the era of Saturn,Jaguar,PSX&COJAG), though including similiar RISC chips to the Saturn, is more powerful hardware than the Saturn, which is why the Saturn couldn't do arcade perfect versions of Sega arcade games either.

So, if you were able to wrap your mind around that, and realize that I wasn't refering to the Jaguar in the first place, so your response is irrelevent to what you quoted, I'll now address your misinformation on the Jaguar: It is more powerful in 2D than anything upto the Dreamcast, BUT little if any Jaguar software took full advantage of this 2D power, as has been stated many times before, becuase the Jaguar's development tools sucked for the developers back in the day, so they didn't tap all the power, one major reason was becuase they didn't have proper tools to develop on the RISC chips, they often relied on the 16-bit 68000 chip similiar to the one on the Sega Genesis (though nearly twice as fast) and used little of the real power RISC chips. There are some exellent examples of great 2D on the Jaguar, just not in released games except for a few, Like Super Burnout, Val di'Isere Skiing&Snowboarding, Power Drive RAlly, etc. But take a look at the Demo of the unreleased game NATIVE for the Jaguar (available on Jaguar CD from several sources) and you'll see 2D graphics that EASILY compare to anything the PSX or Saturn or any other 32/64-bit system has, and it's STILL not exploiting the full 2D potential of the Jaguar. Not to even mention that the Jaguar was restricted to 2-4MB cartridges when the PSX and Saturn had 600-800MB CD's! And if you actually include the Jaguar CD unit as a part of the Jaguar, then it too can have much better games and it shows in the software released, even if it is still not making the best use of the Jaguar. The N64 was different becuase they had special cartridges that could hold as much as a CD, theJaguar didn't, it's carts have about 100-200 times less memory than CD's. The PSX and Saturn have these system advantages, that's SYSTEM advantages, which is different than RISC chip/processor power. The Jaguar has RISC chips that are very comparible to those in the PSX &Saturn, but unfortunately were not used fully or were crippled do to the rest or the Jaguar SYSTEM being underpowered to take full advantage of the RISC chips. The PSX and Saturn also have an extra Megabyte of video ram (the 3DO too) that the jaguar doesn't have. As a system the Jaguar has some hurdles to overcome, that were never fully overcome yet, but with the right tools, bugs bypassed and programmers with real heart for the system, This is starting to change now.

But, due to poor development tools, and under funded and rushed development houses, and some system "bugs" that helped cripple the Jaguar's RISC chips, the games on the Jaguar don't show it's power and don't compare favoribly to the Saturn or PSX and others of the day that didn't have all the problems surounding the Jaguar. But NOW, after years of die-hard development teams and hombrew programmers, most of the crippling hardware "bugs" have been addressed and are no longer a problem, and after years of underground programming, techniques and tools have been and are being created, finally, that should have been there from the start. Now, finally, we'll start seeing software that is more worthy of the Jaguar's abilities, though since it's underground, it will be a trickle and take time. But you are right that as it stands, with the Jaguar's memory limitations, the 3DO is more comparible to the Jaguar than the PSX and Saturn, judging by the software for the most part, but, the Jaguar's RISC chips, if not for being crippled by the other system problems, are more than enough to keep up with, and surpass at least in 2D, later systems like the PSX and Saturn and even the N64. Which is why we got onto the subject of the arcade COJAG in the first place, becuase it uses the same RISC chips but is much more powerful than the Jaguar since it has more memory and lacks the "bugs" the Jaguar had. This COULD be different in the future where we will finally see games coming, in both 2&3D that are MUCH more comparible to PSX games. But the Jaguar will never be able to toss around as many raw polygons as the PSX or Saturn, but it has the ability to do far better texturemapping, combined with a new-found ability to toss around more raw polygons, with some smart programming and artistry, 3D games that are very comparible and in someways (textures) are possible. Whether these games are ever made is a different matter. Afterall, we have small development teams and individuals attempting to make games that it took 20-30 people to do to get the results seen in the epic PSX and Saturn games.

Out of this gigantic NOVEL you wrote, I couldnt get pass the thing about the 2D power being better then The Sega Saturn! LOL! Thats the funniest thing I ever heard! The Sega Saturn has incredible 2D power. Look at all the Capcom relesases like Marvel Vs Streetfighter, or treasure titles such as Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun! Just awsome! 2d games on the Jag suck major balls! LOL! The saturn runs circles all around the Jag! I hear the speech about it being better.... but....ahhhhhhh.....there is no evidence! I am sure the Sega Saturn was not pushed either to its full potential and yet the 2d is so sublime! I bet you wish you could say that about a Jag 2d title. Go on living in doubt! The Sega Saturn also suffered from not being the popular system as well as the Jag, yet it produced some revolutionary games and 2d arcade ports. Something the Jag has not. Hell.... the 3d on Virtua Fighter 2 is still amazing! The Saturn went down with a fight! The Jag sunk like a rock in the video game industry. The PSX also produced better 2D then the JAg! Like I said...there is no 2d or 3d game out on the Jag that could rival either machines. Yuk Yuk Yuk!

First of all, you need to take a reading comprehension referesher course maybe, becuase the immediate discussion that you replied to (apart from the thread as a whole) was the COJAG, not the Jaguar.

Dude, he signs his posts "Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!".

Don't feed the troll.

First of all, you need to take a reading comprehension referesher course maybe, becuase the immediate discussion that you replied to (apart from the thread as a whole) was the COJAG, not the Jaguar.

Dude, he signs his posts "Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!".

Don't feed the troll.

Yea quit feeding me this Jag BS about being better then any of those systems I talked about! I am a hungry troll and I will chew that system up if try to compare against Sega Saturn, PSX, or N64! Yuk yuk yuk!

The N64 was the first true 64-bit game system released. Yes, the Atari Jaguar was in stores well before the N64. However, it used a 16-bit CPU, a separate 32-bit RISC processor, and a 16-bit DSP to handle the system's processing chores. While 16+32+16 does add up to 64, those three processors combined do not add up to the power available in a single, true 64-bit model like that used in the N64.

You want proof the Jag is not 64 but!

The N64 was the first true 64-bit game system released. Yes, the Atari Jaguar was in stores well before the N64. However, it used a 16-bit CPU, a separate 32-bit RISC processor, and a 16-bit DSP to handle the system's processing chores. While 16+32+16 does add up to 64, those three processors combined do not add up to the power available in a single, true 64-bit model like that used in the N64.

That was almost completely incoherent.

No! Playstation was a true 32 bit machine! Not a fake 64 bit machine! The 2d games on the Jag were not even better then Super NES or Genesis!

Geez ... now you're over here being a jerk. Please point me in the direction of Genesis 2D games with 65000 on screen colors like Rayman ...?

If it had the ability to perform better then it did......then why didnt it?

Hmm ...

Budgets

Time invested in learning the system

Budgets

Dev tools

Budgets

People creating, second, third, fourth generation games that get better with each revision

Quality developers working on it

Budgets

And utterly ignorant.

He's been a troll in the 5200 forum, now the Jag forum. I imagine he'll be in the 7800 and Lynx forums soon ...

And utterly ignorant.

He's been a troll in the 5200 forum, now the Jag forum. I imagine he'll be in the 7800 and Lynx forums soon ...

That was a true quote....not ignorant! I think the Lynx is a great handheld. Rayman does not use that many colors on the screen at once! Maybe thats how many the Jag can process, but thats not how many is in Rayman! I have seen better 2D on Super NES! Why am I a troll for telling the truth? Your just biased and giving all these excuses with no proof of true JAG POWA! As you guys say! LOL!

Rayman does not use that many colors on the screen at once! Maybe thats how many the Jag can process, but thats not how many is in Rayman!

LOL - ok, whatever. There's obviously no reasoning with you ...

Here is your beloved 64bit system according to Wilkepedia! If you notice it has a 64 -bit memory management and also notice this is not a processor! I have seen sites where they show different specs, but this site pulls its info from the Jaguar Software Reference manual.

Tom" Chip, 26.59 MHz

Graphics processing unit (GPU) – 32-bit RISC architecture, 4 KB internal cache, provides wide array of graphic effects

Object Processor – RISC architecture; programmable; can behave as a variety of graphic architectures

Blitter – RISC architecture; high speed logic operations, z-buffering and Gouraud shading, and 32-bit internal registers.

DRAM controller, 64-bit memory management (not a processor) <------LOL!

"Jerry" Chip, 26.59 MHz

Digital Signal Processor – 32-bit RISC architecture, 8 KB internal cache

Same RISC core as the GPU, and not limited to sound production

CD-quality sound (16-bit stereo)

Number of sound channels limited by software

Two DACs (stereo) convert digital data to analog sound signals

Full stereo capabilities

Wavetable synthesis, FM synthesis, FM Sample synthesis, and AM synthesis

A clock control block, incorporating timers, and a UART

Joystick control

Motorola 68000 "used as a manager."[7]

General purpose control processor, 13.295 MHz

Oh here are comparison with Jag 2d vs PSX, Super NES, and Sega Saturn!

Rayman Jaguar

Rayman PSX

Guardian Heroes Sega Saturn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC8gmCZl1ko

Donkey Kong Country Super NES

Jaguar Rayman looks weaker then the PSX version!

Donkey Kong Country just looks better as does the 2d Masterpiece GUARDIAN HEROES for the Sega Saturn!

dork, you have no idea the hornet's nest you've stirred up. But I guess that's what you were looking for, wasn't it? I'll enjoy watching Gorf disassemble you piece by piece. :rolling:

He's just a troll. I'm sure the Frog has better things to do than worry about this guy. As for me I'm putting him on ignore.

I just uploaded scans with proof, and proof has been shown many times by Jaguar developers that it's true 64-bit. You are right the Jag is not 64 but

This is the same old disinformation that has been passed around for years and you're just another gullible believer, probably becuase it's what you WANT to here. Take a look of the Jaguar article scans I just put up with a block diagram that proves it's true 64-bit, but just to clarify here, the 16-bit 68000 is NOT the processor, but a co-processor. Though it IS true that many games wrongly use it as the main CPU, but it can be cut out of the equation for all intents and purposes, the Jaguar could have totally done without it, and probably would have been better off if Atari had, so lazy developers wouldn't use it as the main CPU. The Jaguar has 5 (THAT's FIVE) processors in 3 chips: The 64-bit Blitter, the 64-bit object processor, the 32-bit GPU, the 32-bit DSP and the 16-bit 68000 co-processor. It has a true 64-bit bus and true 64-bit memory too. Not even the N64 has all 64-bit processors throughout, it's a mix of 32/64-bit processors TOO. The Jaguar is indeed the first REAL 64-bit processor, regardless if it ever used all that power, it's there. If you really wanted to know the truth you'd ask&listen to the ACTUAL Jaguar programmers with YEARS of experience that hang out right here and on other Jag sites like JS2. They've programmed it, they know. It is definately NOT just adding up 16&32-bit processors; this is the lame, biased ignorance that was spewed out by the competition and biased magazine from the beginning becuase they WERE the competition or payed-off by the competition.

Edited by Gunstar

I actually love seeing Gorf hand these ignorant few their a$$es. :cool:

Oh God!!!!!!!!! You mean this game??????

http://www.atariage.com/gorf/Galax3D.mpg

LOl! You even put a cool face next to your sentence as if to say... "He's gonna get it now when he sees this game!" LOL!

Starfox on the SuperNEs would trump that game. No offence to the author! Do you really think I care if I am stirring up a hornets nest? Dont let my name full ya! LOL! Its gonna take more than a homebrew game of that quality to say that its gonna hand some A$$es over! I remember back in the day before the N64 came out, the Jag was getting its a$$ handed to itself by SuperNES! At least in sales and quality of games! N64 came out to do battle with Sega and PSX! They were not concerned about the Jaguar! Oh by the way Fagchris,....I mean Jagchris....you cant put me on ignore unless I am one of your friends. Unless you mean somehow being able to not see my A$$ handing lectures on this forum. LOL!

Rayman does not use that many colors on the screen at once! Maybe thats how many the Jag can process, but thats not how many is in Rayman!

LOL - ok, whatever. There's obviously no reasoning with you ...

Here is your beloved 64bit system according to Wilkepedia! If you notice it has a 64 -bit memory management and also notice this is not a processor! I have seen sites where they show different specs, but this site pulls its info from the Jaguar Software Reference manual.

Tom" Chip, 26.59 MHz

Graphics processing unit (GPU) – 32-bit RISC architecture, 4 KB internal cache, provides wide array of graphic effects

Object Processor – RISC architecture; programmable; can behave as a variety of graphic architectures

Blitter – RISC architecture; high speed logic operations, z-buffering and Gouraud shading, and 32-bit internal registers.

DRAM controller, 64-bit memory management (not a processor) <------LOL!

"Jerry" Chip, 26.59 MHz

Digital Signal Processor – 32-bit RISC architecture, 8 KB internal cache

Same RISC core as the GPU, and not limited to sound production

CD-quality sound (16-bit stereo)

Number of sound channels limited by software

Two DACs (stereo) convert digital data to analog sound signals

Full stereo capabilities

Wavetable synthesis, FM synthesis, FM Sample synthesis, and AM synthesis

A clock control block, incorporating timers, and a UART

Joystick control

Motorola 68000 "used as a manager."[7]

General purpose control processor, 13.295 MHz

Wikipedia is rarely right and if you believe what it says you're gullible and quite possibly a moron, but most likely just a troll who likes to use disinformation to justify your illogical arguments with no reliability, at least I hope that's the case for your sake, otherwise I pity you. But, you apparently conveniently left out vital statistics in your above bluff, that WE all know about, so it was pointless. Like the part about the Blitter and Object processors(which are true processors, and 64-bit) are listed as 64-bit; you deleted that part, you deleted the 64-bit bus part too. And what is actually still there is messed up. This is a totally false and unreliable "quote" you displayed here. :roll:

Edited by Gunstar