IGNORED

400/800 ECPC Romox titles, nd hardware requirements to test

bidsmore

Hello, trying to get some info on romox ECPC carts for the 400/800.

Just came across 4 ECPC programmed Romox carts I just recieved buying as a group lot of 20 400/800 carts, titles are: the bartender, Mash (M*A*S*H), monster maze and fun with art (2 blue & 2 black carts).

I want to check these out since I am going with what is written on the romox labels hoping they are still playable , but - I sold my atari 400 system (my bad) a few years ago and now I am excited about these titles that I never had before so am contemplating the purchase an atari computer again just to check them out. Does anyone know if these titles required the 800 to play (memory module reqs?) or will they run on the 400, heard the 800XL is iffy on running some titles so I was gonna stay away from it unless the group thinks otherwise.

anyone running these carts that can let me know their hardware requirements or any other concerns I would appreciate it...

It is only a very few, like three or four cartridge titles that won't work on the 800XL/XE series. Most likely those games, that you have, will work fine on an XL or XE. But also, most likely those cartridges WILL run on a 400 with 16k+, an 800, or even a 16K+ XL or XE. I can even narrow the list of the few 800 games that don't work on the XL/XE; Gorf and Wizard of War are two if I'm not mistaken, which leaves like 1-3 others that won't work, otherwise all other 400/800 carts will work fine on an XL or XE.

Now, you may decide you want an 800XL or newer Atari, becuase there ARE more XE carts that will only work on an XL or XE and NOT on a 400/800, than there are 400/800 carts that won't work on an XL or XE; merely becuase they(

XE carts) require more memory than the 48K max unmodified 400/800(they require 64K at least).

Edited by Gunstar

The very early cart games would run on 8K RAM.

The vast majority of carts need 16K RAM.

There is a small minority which need more than 16K, and there are also some carts which wouldn't work on the XLs, mainly due to illegal OS calls.

But, if you're taking the plunge back in - definately the best system to get would be a 130XE, closely followed by the 800XL.

thanks for the quick responses -

never had an xe/xl model so may check one of those out but allways loved the 800 model since i could only afford buying a new 400 when i was in highschool but not the 800 I really wanted.

Anyway thanks again, will get the 800 or newer to check the carts out..Hopefully the ECPC have not become corrupted over the years or are blank...

my original 1985 system:

atari 400 16k

joytyper 400 add on typewriter style keyboard (w/ 4' ribbon extension soldered to membrane keyboard underside - could type away from desk)

microbits mpp-1000c 300 baud modem (blue one) pluged into joystck port

410 cassette (what a pain that was)

lots of creative basic books & antic (typed and save the $)

13" montgomery ward b/w TV for monitor

dow jones & compuserve followed by many late night BBS's

...good ol days :cool:

:-o

This is the first copy of The Bartender ever found so you absolutely need to find a way to dump it (or have it dumped)!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

And he by no means is refering to garbage, trashcans or landfills when he says "dump" and "dummped!" :!:

What Frog said - that cartridge is an important find, and it would be great to get the game preserved.

will keep you informed of how the tests turn out and what code is on them, that would be excellent if it is what it says on the label and is intact .. must get shoppin for that 800 then..

I uploaded some quick pics of the four ecpc carts to:

AtariAge Forums > Classic Gaming > Rare and Unique Items > Posting picture in Rare and Unique Items

thanks for all the inputs and advice on these carts and getting back into 8-bit, will no more in a few weeks when I can load them and it will be interesting one way or another so keep your fingers crossed :ponder:

any idea rough etimate how many romox programming centers came online in stores in usa? I dont remember seeing any of these in my town or in my atari mags and never heard of romox eproms until picking up these carts and comming on here...