IGNORED

eBay Buys PayPal!

Albert

Well, this is certainly an interesting turn of events. It appears that eBay has agreed to purchase PayPal for around $1.5Billion in stock.

The Register: eBay Buys PayPal

Slashdot: eBay Buys PayPal

Apparently eBay is going to phase out its own Billpoint system, and one can only imagine they will tightly integrate PayPal into eBay. All they need to do now is buy UPS or FedEx and they've got a complete lock on the entire process!

..Al

Don't know how I really feel about this. I actually expected this to happen a long time ago -- but I don't have very good feelings about it. I had always suspected that Paypal came along first and foremost to eventually sell itself to eBay for high profit dollar and for the execs to retire at an early age.

Not saying that I wouldn't have done that myself, had I been in Paypal's shoes -- but at the same time, I wouldn't have taken the gamble starting up something like Paypal because they've been bleeding money like crazy.

It was nice to have something independant of eBay to make credit card purchases, but I might have to start shopping around again for something else. Anyone have any other suggestions on payment sites for auctions? I've done BidPay and it's OK.

And Al, I'm actually surprised that eBay hasn't bought up one of the shipping people yet -- but I imagine that it's only a matter of time. With the USPS postal rates going through the roof for Priority Mail, it would not surprise me if they started at least a partnership with FedEx or UPS. But then that just might be me..

This is a great move for eBay and Paypal. In case some of you are wondering, this deal should have happened YEARS ago...in fact, back in 1999, Paypal lost out to Billpoint as eBay's proprietary electronic payment service and the trials and tribulations of the failed deal are detailed in the book "eBoys".

Admit it, 90% of Paypal users use it to pay for eBay auctions. Only once have I used Billpoint to pay for an item. The only thing I hope is that the transaction fees don't increase...the percentage they take for any funds received is already too high and really eats into your profit margin if you regularly sell higher ticket items on eBay. But luckily for me, I don't sell very often on eBay so this isn't a big deal for me. I've been impressed with Paypal's service and timely fund transfers, so it's a company that I've always recommended.

Congratulations to the 2 companies!

What I am more worried about is eBay using PayPal to offer reduced overall final fees for their auctions, but then charging a premium to people who are not using eBay when using PayPal. The GOAT Store uses PayPal now to accept credit cards because it is the only credit card option that we could really afford. If their rates go up, we will either have to raise our prices on some items or stop using PayPal, either of which is a bad thing...

Here's hoping eBay doesn't make PayPal worse...

What I'm really worried about is if Ebay now gives an incentive to ebay sellers to only except Paypal and not other options like Money orders. This could be really bad for bidders who don't like to use Paypal.

Allan

Yes, it will be quite interesting to see how this all plays out. I'm hoping eBay is able to improve the customer service nightmares many PayPal users have experienced, and it will be nice to see them more tightly integrate PayPal into eBay. However, I sincerely hope they don't try to cut out other services from using PayPal, or make it more expensive for those not coming in from eBay.

I doubt eBay will purchase a shipper anytime soon, but I'm sure they'll try to work more closely with one or more of them. Don't they already have some deal with FedEx?

..Al

Well, it seem a good start for Ebay buying Paypal.....BUT.....one thing I dont like Paypal's policy about my address on credit card..... for example, when I won the auction, I paying through Paypal to the seller's auction, then Paypal email me about my payment, I did realized about my shipping address showed "unconformed address". I did phoned to Paypal and explain why "unconformed address", I did told them my address is everything fine, but Paypal said to me only outside USA is unconformed address, but I told them what about USA buyers always have conformed address, what about Canada???!!! I have small augement with Paypal customer service about my address is fine with my credit card's....they said to me nothing to do!!

I hope that Ebay need to fix with Paypal's policy.

Jason

The capitalist juggernaut thunders on. I wish Pepsi would hurry up, buy ebay, Ford, Chevy, Thornton Oil, Sony, Microsoft and control my entire life so I can't stop thinking and enjoy the rest of my days as a robot.

Sheesh. Where's the little guy? Oh, there he is totally squashed under the wheels of the juggernaut!

What about Mom and Pop? Oh they are under there too.

:roll: :x :roll: :x :roll: :x :roll: :x

The capitalist juggernaut thunders on.  I wish Pepsi would hurry up, buy ebay, Ford, Chevy, Thornton Oil, Sony, Microsoft and control my entire life so I can't stop thinking and enjoy the rest of my days as a robot.

Sheesh.  Where's the little guy?  Oh, there he is totally squashed under the wheels of the juggernaut!

What about Mom and Pop?  Oh they are under there too.  

:roll:  :x  :roll:  :x  :roll:  :x  :roll:  :x

Such is the world of business.

This was but another strategic business move and one that made a lot of sense.

Sorry to disagree with the consensus, but I feel this was a good move

for both companies.

The capitalist juggernaut thunders on.  I wish Pepsi would hurry up, buy ebay, Ford, Chevy, Thornton Oil, Sony, Microsoft and control my entire life so I can't stop thinking and enjoy the rest of my days as a robot.

Sheesh.  Where's the little guy?  Oh, there he is totally squashed under the wheels of the juggernaut!

What about Mom and Pop?  Oh they are under there too.  

:roll:  :x  :roll:  :x  :roll:  :x  :roll:  :x

Wasn't Atari a bit of a "capitalist juggernaut"?

My "capitalist juggernaut" is a general reference to ALL such entities, not just aimed at ebay. Atari wasn't much of a capitalist juggernaut since it was run into the ground and failed to keep pace. Maybe more like a capitalist power drill. :)

Well, it seem a good start for Ebay buying Paypal.....BUT.....one thing I dont like Paypal's policy about my address on credit card..... for example, when I won the auction, I paying through Paypal to the seller's auction, then Paypal email me about my payment, I did realized about my shipping address showed "unconformed address". I did phoned to Paypal and explain why "unconformed address", I did told them my address is everything fine, but Paypal said to me only outside USA is unconformed address, but I told them what about USA buyers always have conformed address, what about Canada???!!!

Thats a good point, and not one that just affects Canada. IMO they will get that sorted out pretty quick and allow users from all the countries that have a www.ebay.whatever to have confirmed address's.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Something had to be done PAYPAL SUCKS! *Pulls out shotgun* Where is Paypal's CEO *ahem* I mean EX-CEO ;) Sorry, but they are soooooo slow in the customer service dept... I've been on hold trying to resolve a dispute with them for the last 6 weeks... Still haven't gotten back to me...

:x :x

What I'm really worried about is if Ebay now gives an incentive to ebay sellers to only except Paypal and not other options like Money orders. This could be really bad for bidders who don't like to use Paypal.

Allan

If this happens which I seriously don't see happening, but IF IT DOES, I'll still be flexible with my payment options, paypal, money order, personal check (only after clearing of course ;) ), and I'm sure many other eBay sellers will follow in this same direction as that would surely cripple some business.

• 2 months later...
Well, it seem a good start for Ebay buying Paypal.....BUT.....one thing I dont like Paypal's policy about my address on credit card..... for example, when I won the auction, I paying through Paypal to the seller's auction, then Paypal email me about my payment,  I did realized about my shipping address showed "unconformed address".  I did phoned to Paypal and explain why "unconformed address",   I did told them my address is everything fine, but Paypal said to me only outside USA is unconformed address,  but I told them what about USA buyers always have conformed address, what about Canada???!!!  

Thats a good point, and not one that just affects Canada. IMO they will get that sorted out pretty quick and allow users from all the countries that have a www.ebay.whatever to have confirmed address's.

Adam

Yeah, I agreed with you.....I have realized that Ebay didnt sorted out pretty quick and allow user to have confirmed address around the world not just USA!!! That why one thing I dont like Paypal's policy about my address on my credit card still unconfirmed address! :x

Do please Ebay must quick and fix Paypal's policy to allow all the users around the world!

Jason