IGNORED

Beyond Evil - now playable

Heaven/TQA

good work! it's really up to you guys... i am open for everthing... i also prefer the more darker colour which espire8 did in his first attempt... anything more Esipire what you think? Espire's style is more adult comic like imho... so its just a matter of taste. and i like PGs different sized monsters like the scorpion etc...

i like the spider web in the corner, too... but i also like to have a "pile" when a monster is dead... ;)

It seems PG is already way ahead of me here :lol: ..though he and I do have different styles (my snake looks too big next to his monster designs), - but I do like his monsters.

Anyway as you said, it's a matter of taste. :)

that's true with the different weapons... but at the moment... we have clubs, axes and swords... and Espire8 draw the warrior with handing the weapon on the other side... like in the game Barbarian.
No problem, I can talior that for you. ;)

btw... i like it... now put a helm on top and we are nearly there...what i had in mind... the armor+helm could be done with one multicolour player...the other multicolour player could be the weapon and the missles are free for the hit indicator?

I'll see what I can do and post it back here later.

cool... two pixel wizards playing around with their ideas... ;) cool... :) i am honoured... btw. espire8 i hope you like your freedom on atari 800 instead of 2600?
Well, I'm not as proficient as PG but the 800 is a nice calibur. I find the limitations on the 2600 a real challenge to do good looking sprites for and I enjoy it as where I see a possibility I try to make it happen for the 2600's own sake, graphic wise -as it's refreshing to see that old system outperforming its capability than in it's heyday.

Anyway, I'll see how far I can get my feet wet with the 800.

here are some basic tests...

just load the state-files into atari800win. restart emulation with F9. after restart you see player chars and the sprite overlays, first separate and by pressing a key overlayed.

ps. i used state files this time because they are easy to use even if you are not familiar with turbo basic etc...

pss. kudos to espire8 and PG

psss. PG...your sprites are the next for testing... :)

post-528-1183314911_thumb.png

post-528-1183314918_thumb.png

beyond_overlay1.zip

beyond_overlay2.zip

Edited by Heaven/TQA

cool... enough stuff to test... :) next week i have some days off and have more time for coding etc... but maybe i can make first steps tonight. btw. what is the icon on the right side of the chest? (7th in the last row) is this "Armor"?
Glad the test went smoothly, your armour color touch ups look better now. Yeah, that icon is the chainmail armor. I'm not sure how the upgrades are acquired but threw it in there out of interest.

I can't wait to see how PG's work will look in place!

Espire. can you provide me with a normal standing man with weapon in hand without armor? so i can check my animation system? as at the moment i have the phase when player press fire to attack but not moving... and the armor...

thanks!

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Espire. can you provide me with a normal standing man with weapon in hand without armor? so i can check my animation system? as at the moment i have the phase when player press fire to attack but not moving... and the armor...

thanks!

Here ya go.

post-7623-1183386695_thumb.png

looks good so far... but i have an tip for us better using gfx in native format. if you use standard resolutions like 320x200 or better 160x200 than its easier for me to convert the stuff to native atari format with the tools i have (sprconv and g2f f.e.). maybe next time... ;)

but i like your gfx! and i am sure the rest here as well... 8)

Hi!

I have spend more than 2 hours playnig the game and here are the results.

There are some bugs in the game. Dropping a weapon is not function properly. When I drop a weapon it disappear from inwentory but when I press ESC and "I" again it comes back and I cna't drop it no more. When inwentory is full some weapons disappear and ther is no posibility to drop nay weapon or pick a new weapon. I attached a save state.

After gaining a level, after improving stats, sometimes an arrow don't disappear. So after gaining new level I can see two arrows which is confusing. You can see it after loading attached save state.

I can't see a difference between better armour and worse. Armour class 38 should be much better than 10, but I don't even notice any difference.

What I get by improving strength? I don't notice what this stat improve.

Somebody mention about monsters dropping two items, one before death and the second after the death. Disappearing half of the plate also were mentioned.

My suggestion about gameplay:

Fight is now not very ineresting. You just stand, keep fire pressed and wait when monster die, watching the health bar in case you need to press space to drink potion.

Dungeon is now linear. Each room has two doors, maybe it could be more interesting if dungeon were more complicated.

Gold is useless for now. Maybe there should be some places where you can enter a shop, where you can buy/sell weapons and maybe also repair if you add duration stat as You mention.

BTW. New GFX lokks really immpressive.

atarisav.zip

Edited by urborg

urborg... so what is your suggestions regarding gameplay? the dungeon is ment to be linear right now. so i will not change that at the moment.

how can you make the fighting more interersting?

btw. STR is improving your probability to get a hit NOT the damage you deal (similar formular to diablo 1 - dont mess that with diablo 2, wow etc...)

I have been following this for awhile. Big Diablo fan so something on the 8-bit would be cool.

Some feedback for what it is worth, and I apologize for saying something that has already been addressed.

I am playing currently with an emulator since I believe there are issues with NTSC machines.

1) Combat is tough for me to follow. Hard to tell when I am attacking, everything seems way too hard to kill also for a start. If there is some swing or attack motions this would probably help on that front. In diablo the monsters start off pretty easy to kill for the fighter class. It was pretty easy to get started and move around and kill some weaker monsters and build up some experience and money.

2) One of the neat things about Diablo was the hordes of monsters who could converge on you at once. Not sure if you can recreate this on the 8-bit. The mouse helped with ranged attacks (bows, magic) since you could direct it to a particular monster.

3) I have never leveled up to see how it effects game play (usually die too quick). Might be my emulator or lack of understanding combat mechanics in regards to that. But in Diablo your dexterity helps you swing quicker for instance. Strength helps you do more damage. Magical items also help either stats directly, or maybe have damage modifiers, etc.

I mentioned it a tad above, but just saw your reply to urborg. Here is a breakdown of Diablo char stats and what they effect.

In Diablo strength indicates what weapons you can use and the damage they inflict.

Dexterity indicates proficiency with ranged weapons, and a characters accuracy in close combat, their Armor Class and their movement rate.

Magic detemines the spells you can learn, their effectiveness, and how much mana you expend on a spell. Higher Magic also gives you more mana capacity.

Vitality effects the character health capacity.

You have things like AC, Damage, Resistance to Magic, Fire, and lighting also. Can give you more detail on those if you want.

thanks for feedback... but belboz... i have to admit that diablo 1 does not increase damage by STR (only minimum with character hit btw...) here some info:

"Damage

calculate Rnd[maxbase weapon damage - minbase weapon damage + 1] + minbase weapon damage (this is basically a random value within the weapons base damage range)

add +% damage

add +damage

add character damage

if the attacker is a Warrior or Barbarian then double damage if Rnd[100] < clvl (critical hit)

if the monster is undead or an animal, adjust the damage according to the table in chapter 5.1 under monster type, that is, under certain circumstances multiply damage by 1.5 or divide damage by 2

if the monster is a demon, triple the damage if the player is carrying any item with the "+200% damage versus demons" effect

in Hellfire, if the attacker has an item with the devastation effect and Rnd[100] < 5, triple the damage

in Hellfire, if the attacker has an item with the jester's effect 50% of the time multiply damage by Rnd[100]/100, the other 50% multiply damage by 5·(Rnd[100]+20)/100

in Hellfire, if the attack is an adjacent "quarter" damage attack, divide the damage by 4 (hence the "quarter" damage)

in Hellfire, if the attacker has an item with the peril effect, double the damage

the value now achieved is the final damage (FD)

deal FD to the target "

so no STR in the formular (only in "character hit")

I am 99% sure strength increases damage.

That is what the Official Diablo Strategy guide says. I pretty much quoted that above.

Here is the Wikipedia entry on Diablo attributes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_(compu...ame)#Attributes

I will fire Diablo up on my PC and take a look. Is easy enough. Just level up and put stats into strength and watch the damage increase.

I will take a few screenshots.

belboz...i believe you...but my experience are from http://www.bigd-online.com/JG/JGFrame.html? imho the char damage does not have so big impact instead weapons have?

2.2.2 Damage done

Damage done by players is composed of two parts, character damage and weapon damage. The character damage is based on your character's stats and can be calculated with the formulas below. To that damage you add the damage of any weapon, or weapons in the case of the Bard, you have equipped. For information about damage from spells, see chapter 4.

"

Bow character damage

Warrior: Str·clvl/200

Rogue: (Str+Dex)·clvl/200

Sorcerer: Str·clvl/200

Monk: (Str+Dex)·clvl/600

Bard: (Str+Dex)·clvl/500

Barbarian: Str·clvl/600

Melee character damage

Warrior: Str·clvl / 100

Rogue: (Str+Dex) · clvl / 200

Sorcerer: Str·clvl / 100

Monk with staff or bare-handed: (Str+Dex) · clvl / 150

Monk with other weapons: (Str+Dex) · clvl / 300

Bard with at least one sword: (Str+Dex) · clvl / 150

Bard with any weapon(s) except sword: Str·clvl / 100

Barbarian with axes and clubs: Str·clvl / 75

Barbarian except for axes and clubs: Str·clvl / 100

Extra bonus for Barbarian without shield: Vit·clvl / 100"

and f.e. STR = 20 --> CharDamage = 0.2...

oh... but Barbarian with swords would be STR*CHR/100... seems i overread that... ;) but its small still...

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Well I think the damage modifier by strength can really add up as you get higher in levels. I can remember having high level warriors and finding a +10 to strength necklace and the damage done increased greatly when equipping it. I believe level is a factor along with strength, but it does have a decent effect as a character evolves.

Here is a warrior after two level ups. All stats put into strength.

post-3988-1183409547_thumb.jpg

post-3988-1183409562_thumb.jpg

A warrior has a maximum strength of 250. If you reach level 50 for instance and have a str of 250 because of pumping your level ups into that or with magical items bumping up your strength you are going to get some pretty good extra damage.

Using the formula you quote you will get str * level / 200

So 250 * 50 / 200 = 62.5

Decent number of extra damage when you consider Diablo has 1,166 HP's.

Regardless, game is looking more and more insteresting. Keep up the good work.

Edited by belboz

yeah... you are right... but how can we make game more fun? what is the essence? building up your char? collection weapons/armor? fighting against creatures? multiple fights? collecting gold? beat the evil in the last floor of the tower?

anyway... still have fun with coding this baby... (i am not sure if ever something kept me motivated for more than 12 monts in a row... ;))

here are the new overlays... cool is the naked one with the 2 weapons... ;) a real barbarian...

post-528-1183411999_thumb.png

post-528-1183412007_thumb.png

beyond_overlay3.zip

beyond_overlay4.zip

yeah... you are right... but how can we make game more fun? what is the essence?

building up your char?

Yes!

collection weapons/armor?

Yes!!

fighting against creatures?

Yes!!!

multiple fights?

Yes!!!!

collecting gold?

Yes!!!!!

beat the evil in the last floor of the tower?

Yes!!!!!!

:)

Seriously though the cool thing about Diablo for me was all of these things were part of the game. I think it gave something to everyone.

I know something with that large a scope is probably tough to do in an 8-bit environment.

urborg... so what is your suggestions regarding gameplay? the dungeon is ment to be linear right now. so i will not change that at the moment.

OK. Linearity is not so bad at all. I know that Atari has many limitations and the biggest is memory. So You need to choose which part is more important.

how can you make the fighting more interersting?

As I was suggested before. I Think there should be no possibility to come "through the enemy". Enemy should stop movement of the player. And there should be animation of smashing sword, when you touch the monster and press fire.

I don't know if it is possible to code a fighting with more than one monster at the same time. As Belboz said - fighting against horde of monsters was fun in Diablo. Maybe You could consider adding some enemies fighting with ranged weapon. For example you come to the room and one monster is attacking you and few other are standing in corners and shooting to you with bows. You can fight with that one that is atacking you, or try to eliminate archers first.

For me, essence of playing Diablo was collecting weapons and gold, then selling things and collecting money to buy some better equipment, and building up a character.

Quests was also interesting. For example find something or kill specific monster.

Maybe there should be some kind of base in the begining of each level, when you can return to buy/sell things, heal your character, repair wepons, and maybe talk with somebody. I don't know if 64 KB (or 128 KB) can hold all this things.

Edited by urborg