IGNORED

Code Snippets & Samples for bB Beginners

Atarius Maximus

Would someone please offer me some .bas examples of playfield resolutions? I can't figure out how to change the size of the playfield blocks, and I know it should be quite simple. Also some DPC+ .bas examples/tutorials would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I wonder if these links would be helpful:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#faq_playfield_pixels

The bB page will eventually have more DPC+ example programs as I and other people find time to make them, but this is all the bB page has so far:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#expro_dpc

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

First of all, Atarius Maximus, thank you so much for these examples. I have saved them and will refer to them as I'm learning Batari Basic and Atari programming in general.

I know this is a super old thread, so maybe you aren't following it anymore, but just in case, I thought I'd put in my request.

I've asked in another thread about how to display multiple copies of a sprite on the screen in a singe frame. Asteroids is my favorite example. It uses p0 to represent an asteroid, and at a single time, it will draw a large, a medium, and a small asteroid, all moving independently of each other. Other's have very kindly and clearly explained that you can display p0 and then change it's x coordinate, and then display it again, and then again and again. In theory, that makes sense to me, but I haven't found a tutorial or examples of that yet, and in my code, it seems to only display the last placement, ignoring the previous placements. Would you mind creating an example of how to display a single sprite multiple times in the same frame?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here is a fantastic BASIC Programming video I shared on the Programming Forum that is great for learning to write games with batari BASIC, SuperCharger BASIC or even the classic Atari 2600 BASIC Programing Cart - the programmer walks you through writing a short Pong game in BASIC. How to reduce flicker in BASIC and other concepts applicable to Atari 2600 programming are covered as well.

Interesting Trivia: the earlier ZX-80 was much like the Atari in the respect of having to write gameloops that ran in the vertical blanks in order to avoid screen roll, a command for this was added to the ZX-81 BASIC ROM:

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, rd80sguy said:

Is it possible to use Batari Basic to generate text like this?

text.png

I assume you mean on the game screen below the play area? The Atari doesn't know anything about text, but you can use the Bitmap Minikernel to display a small image that has the text that you want to display.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 7:23 PM, Karl G said:

I assume you mean on the game screen below the play area? The Atari doesn't know anything about text, but you can use the Bitmap Minikernel to display a small image that has the text that you want to display.

Well yeah i know that the 2600 can create a character set like say the NES can for example, but the problem is im trying to do this with the Batari Basic interface with 8bitworkshop and it doesnt have the same type of kernel cappabilities that the normal Batari Basic can. i have tried to load images with the tool your talking about but every time i hit the MAKE BAS. button it just crashes.

39 minutes ago, rd80sguy said:

Well yeah i know that the 2600 can create a character set like say the NES can for example, but the problem is im trying to do this with the Batari Basic interface with 8bitworkshop and it doesnt have the same type of kernel cappabilities that the normal Batari Basic can. i have tried to load images with the tool your talking about but every time i hit the MAKE BAS. button it just crashes.

Yeah; it looks like with batari Basic projects on there, it doesn't give you the ability to add files to your project, which means you can't do includes for minikernels like this one. I recommend checking out Atari Dev Studio instead of using 8bitworkshop:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/25/2007 at 12:43 PM, Atarius Maximus said:

I've had a few requests via private mail to help people out who are trying to learn bB, along with requests for code examples. I thought I'd post some very simple, short programs that demonstrate how to do some specific things in bB. I always learn best by looking at sample code... hopefully these will help someone out. I'd be happy to create additional examples if someone wants one.

Here are some links to some good tutorials from other members:

From CurtisP: Programming Tutorial

From SeaGtGruff: Tutorial Session 1 | Tutorial Session 2 | Tutorial Session 3

Other downloads & links you'll want:

Get the latest version of bB here.

Get the latest version of Visual bB here.

Get the latest verison of Stella here.

Read the latest documentation here.

Steve

1_DrawSprite.bas 1.79 kB · 3,623 downloads

1_DrawSprite.bin 4 kB · 1,490 downloads

2_AddPlayfield.bas 2.67 kB · 2,107 downloads

2_AddPlayfield.bin 4 kB · 1,262 downloads

3_MoveASprite.bas 2.11 kB · 2,155 downloads

3_MoveAsprite.bin 4 kB · 1,241 downloads

4_FireAMissile.bas 812 B · 2,100 downloads

4_FireAmissile.bin 4 kB · 1,352 downloads

5_AnimateASprite.bas 843 B · 1,864 downloads

5_AnimateASprite.bin 4 kB · 1,303 downloads

6_AnimateAplayfield.bas 1.72 kB · 1,808 downloads

6_AnimateAplayfield.bin 4 kB · 1,443 downloads

7_3DMovingSprite.bas 835 B · 1,771 downloads

7_3DMovingSprite.bin 4 kB · 1,341 downloads

9_DetectCollisions.bas 2.45 kB · 2,010 downloads

9_Detectcollisions.bin 4 kB · 1,276 downloads

8_FlashColors.bas 250 B · 1,732 downloads

8_FlashColors.bin 4 kB · 1,358 downloads

10_MoveAnAnimatedSprite.bas 3.26 kB · 1,751 downloads

10_MoveAnAnimatedSprite.bas.bin 4 kB · 1,211 downloads

11_AdventureLight.bas 5.9 kB · 1,751 downloads

11_AdventureLight.bin 4 kB · 1,267 downloads

12_SimpleTitlescreenDemo.bas 3.52 kB · 1,904 downloads

12_SimpleTitlescreenDemo.bin 4 kB · 1,266 downloads

13_BankswitchingDemo.bas 4.92 kB · 1,533 downloads

13_BankswitchingDemo.bin 16 kB · 1,041 downloads

14_MoveAnimateAndFire.bas 8.26 kB · 1,643 downloads

14_MoveAnimateAndFire.bin 4 kB · 1,173 downloads

15_MoveSpritewithPlayfieldBoundaries.bas 1.1 kB · 1,752 downloads

15_MoveSpritewithPlayfieldBoundaries.bin 4 kB · 1,286 downloads

16_MoveSpritewithEnemySpriteFollowing.bas 2.82 kB · 1,414 downloads

16_MoveSpritewithEnemySpriteFollowing.bin 4 kB · 885 downloads

These are all fantastic and have helped me immensely over the years- I've used every one of them. Thank you!

May I recommend also adding a simple musical tune and sound to them as well?

I am just now getting into music and to create a .bas with only music seems simple enough- but figuring out how to incorporate that music into a game is causing me great headache. The music either breaks the game code, or the game code either breaks the music, etc..

Maybe just a p0 ship at the bottom that can be moved left and right, joy0fire shoots a missile that blows up p1 on contact that moves left and right automatically- with a simple perpetual looping rythm on one chanel and a missile / ship blast sound on the other chanel? That would help immensely!

Thanks again.

Edited by freshbrood