IGNORED

Asteroids Deluxe

PacManPlus

Hi Guys:

Just wanted to post this WIP here to see if anyone runs into any bugs, etc.

I had started to mention it over in the 7800 forum, but being that it's a hack, I put it here.

There are still a few things I need to do:

1) Revisit the Killer Satellite shape and possibly refine it

2) Update the sounds; fix some of the ones that are there and add the new ones for the Killer Satellite and shields

Let me know if any of you run into any problems. :)

Bob

ASTDLX78.ZIP

WOW! Very nice! I hope there's an "Asteroids Collection" in the near future! :D

Couple of things...

1. Would it be possible to map the shields to the 2nd button as well as pressing down?

2. Some of the asteroids spin too fast, IMO. That might be cool for the smaller rocks, but the not the bigger ones.

3. Is there a temporary invincibility or a wait until the center is clear feature? I just lost my last life a split second after my ship appeared.

4. How about a background mode (or stars)? :D

5. The diamond's AI could use a bit of work. But it's a good start!

Can't wait for the next revision! :thumbsup:

WOW! Very nice! I hope there's an "Asteroids Collection" in the near future! :D

Thanks! :) If there is, it would only include Asteroids and Deluxe, as Space Duel is too different, and needing *much* more space for the different spinning 'rocks'.

Couple of things...

1. Would it be possible to map the shields to the 2nd button as well as pressing down?

I was thinking of doing that - using both the second button and pressing down as shields - I'll check it out... You do know that if a ProLine or compatable two-button joystick is plugged in it will use the second button, right?

2. Some of the asteroids spin too fast, IMO. That might be cool for the smaller rocks, but the not the bigger ones.

That shouldn't be too difficult to change...

3. Is there a temporary invincibility or a wait until the center is clear feature? I just lost my last life a split second after my ship appeared.

Actually it does. The ship actually comes in, but 'flashes'. During the time that it flashes it won't complete unless there is nothing in your immediate vicinity, or the player presses a button - did you hit anything?

I actually took the stars out - trying to get it closer to the arcade version (without the backdrop, which would be impossible here) :(

5. The diamond's AI could use a bit of work. But it's a good start!

Yes, I may tweak it a bit... That one was a bit difficult. I know that the arcade version actually makes each split go off in opposite directions, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that here. :( Also the in arcade version the wedges slowly 'turn' to face the player, not snap to face your direction (like it does here). Another thing I can't seem to figure out how to do. But I'll work on it! :)

Can't wait for the next revision! :thumbsup:

Thank you, and thanks for the feedback. :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

I was thinking of doing that - using both the second button and pressing down as shields - I'll check it out... You do know that if a ProLine or compatable two-button joystick is plugged in it will use the second button, right?

Hmm... That could be a problem if someone was using a 2600 stick... I was using my PC pad and kept hitting the button expecting the shields to go up! (Plus the "down" on my pad isn't working so well.)

Actually it does. The ship actually comes in, but 'flashes'. During the time that it flashes it won't complete unless there is nothing in your immediate vicinity, or the player presses a button - did you hit anything?

I might have. But it was so quick, I can't remember. :D

I actually took the stars out - trying to get it closer to the arcade version (without the backdrop, which would be impossible here) :(

I figured that. But it would be SO COOL if the original backdrop was there. :lust:

Fantastic work, Bob!

I love that pressing down activates the shield - It's easier and less "Cramping" than hitting the second button. Although as mentioned, it can't hurt to add pressing the second button as an additional means of activating your ship's shield.

Obviously, the backdrop is impossible due to the hardware video limitations of the 7800 - so going with the blank/empty black backgrouund matches the Arcade version best. However, perhaps there can be an Arcade Deluxe mode - showing what you currently have displaying while playing, and then maybe a 7800 Deluxe mode using a similar coloring idea as the 7800 Asteroids with a starfield backdrop (?)

If not, I definitely perfer your current implementation copying the Arcade as close as possible.

-Trebor

perhaps there can be an Arcade Deluxe mode - showing what you currently have displaying while playing, and then maybe a 7800 Deluxe mode using a similar coloring idea as the 7800 Asteroids with a starfield backdrop (?)

Thanks for the compliments :)

I actually planned on doing that - but unfortunately I don't have the room. It uses 'holey DMA' so I can't use even pages for graphics. I had to stuff everything into the two banks of graphics I had open. :(

... Unless there's something I'm really missing...

Thanks, dude :)

Ok, another update, another bin:

1) Changed high score ID

2) Big rocks spin slowly

3) Added sounds for a) Killer Satellite entrance, Killer Satellite destroyed, Shields.

4) Changed sounds (to hopefully match more closer to the arcade) a) Background heartbeat, b) Ship Shot.

To Do:

1) Possibly Change UFO sounds

2) Refine Killer Satellite Sprite

3) Refine Killer Satellite AI

Enjoy!

ASTDLX78.ZIP

1) Changed high score ID

2) Big rocks spin slowly

3) Added sounds for a) Killer Satellite entrance, Killer Satellite destroyed, Shields.

4) Changed sounds (to hopefully match more closer to the arcade) a) Background heartbeat, b) Ship Shot.

To Do:

Enjoy!

Thanks, PacManPlus - you now "rock" in 3 ways - as a cool guy, a musician, and an Asteroids enhancer!

By the way, are the CC2 settings the same as for regular 7800 Asteroids?

1) Changed high score ID

2) Big rocks spin slowly

To Do:

Enjoy!

Thanks, PacManPlus - you now "rock" in 3 ways - as a cool guy, a musician, and an Asteroids enhancer!

By the way, are the CC2 settings the same as for regular 7800 Asteroids?

No, it's a 32K game.

Allan

@128bytes - that's a very nice compliment - thank you!

@Allan - thank you as well :)

As far as the CC@, this is a 32k game. I use the 32K HSC entry (use the same settings as Pac-Man Collection)

@LordHelmet - thank you! Although I don't think I will be using that label - I haven't heard from AtariBoy2600 since February, and I won't use his art without asking him (I always send him a free cart when I use his artwork). Speaking of carts, I would like to have this game also sold in the AA store; as long as Atari and Albert will allow it...

... BTW I am having such a time trying to figure out how to make the wedges 'lazily' turn in the player's direction (instead of just snapping to face him/her). I may post that question in the 7800 programming forum... I am dealing with the Player x & y position, the Wedge x & y position, and the wedge x & y velocity. I assume the player's x and y velocity is not needed here, as the wedges track by position.

Also, just so everyone is familiar with the terminology:

Killer Satellite: the 'unbroken' ship that just floats slowly around the screen (the 'snowflake' enemy)

Wedge: the 'pieces' of the Killer Satellite that, when separated, go after the player's ship.

Edited by PacManPlus

@LordHelmet - thank you! Although I don't think I will be using that label - I haven't heard from AtariBoy2600 since February, and I won't use his art without asking him (I always send him a free cart when I use his artwork). Speaking of carts, I would like to have this game also sold in the AA store; as long as Atari and Albert will allow it...

I wonder what happened to him. His labels were great.

Hey PMP,

Just a request:

In the High-score-cart code from Curt, there is code for a short jingle when you get a high-score. It plays one jingle for the three lower high scores and a special one if you get the highest score. Unfortunetly I don't think anybody used it. It would be cool if somebody finally did. PM me if you need more info.

And also I just got 45,000 on AD on intermideate. Beat that. :)

Allan

@Mayhem: - Thanks! :) I will try to disassemble the NTSC and PAL versions and see if I can figure out the differences. I hope it's not the same as Ms. Pac-Man was... the PAL version was 32K while the NTSC was 16K and it was very difficult for me to figure out the difference. So I couldn't do that one.

@Allan: - I got 49340 earlier :P Expect a PM :D

@Walter: - Thank you :) I hope to make this available through AA (I need to get in touch with Albert to ask him first) :)