IGNORED

Toolkit for 2600 programming in Apple Xcode

ibogost

Hey folks. I made a set of tools to make VCS programming in Xcode easy and simple. Includes a project template and syntax coloring definitions for both 6502 assembly and the VCS register names. Install, create a new project, and just build and run to open your game in Stella.

vcs_newproject.jpg

I hope it will be useful both for experienced developers to do much more rapid iterative programming, and for new developers to get started more easily.

Here's the URL: http://www.bogost.com/blog/atari_vcs_progr..._in_xcode.shtml

:thumbsup: Nice!

What would it take to adapt this to batari Basic as well?

I was actually going to do that next, but I wanted to talk to you about it first, mostly because I'd want to redistribute the binaries for the compiler. Didn't seem like a huge thing but I didn't find any specific licenses in the distrib.

From a teaching perspective, I use Batari with more total students than 6502asm, so it would make a big difference. I find that many of my undergrads have never used command line tools :P.

• Like 1

:thumbsup: Nice!

What would it take to adapt this to batari Basic as well?

I was actually going to do that next, but I wanted to talk to you about it first, mostly because I'd want to redistribute the binaries for the compiler. Didn't seem like a huge thing but I didn't find any specific licenses in the distrib.

From a teaching perspective, I use Batari with more total students than 6502asm, so it would make a big difference. I find that many of my undergrads have never used command line tools :P.

I added a license to bB 1.0 (see license.txt). Though I may have forgotten to include the license with the OSX binaries. Anyway, your intended use is allowed.

If your students are going to have XCode anyway, integrating bB into it would be really nice, and of course I will use it too. Let me know when you finish, as I will link to your page from the bB website as well. (Though I don't expect anyone to download XCode just to use bB, as I think it's nearing 1 GB :o )

I added a license to bB 1.0 (see license.txt). Though I may have forgotten to include the license with the OSX binaries. Anyway, your intended use is allowed.

If your students are going to have XCode anyway, integrating bB into it would be really nice, and of course I will use it too. Let me know when you finish, as I will link to your page from the bB website as well. (Though I don't expect anyone to download XCode just to use bB, as I think it's nearing 1 GB :o )

Awesome, it will give me something to do instead of the other work I should be doing :). I'm also going to finally get all my student bB projects up in one place on the web. I think there have been around ... gosh, a couple dozen complete games over the last few years. The main class I've been using bB in had 24 students the first time I taught it. This fall there will be around 100! So, bB games aplenty.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I found this today and tried it out. It works very fine!

So I only need to learn how to program in Assembler :D

Any news about the Batari Basic implementation in XCode?

Edited by Nognir

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Every time Apple upgrades Xcode, they change a bunch of stuff. The recent Xcode 4 update was a complete rewrite, including totally new project template and language syntax formats. Worse yet, Apple hasn't yet documented any of it. Effectively, they're turning Xcode into a Cocoa-only IDE, even if it technically still offers external build support.

Anyway, I've given up on Xcode entirely for anything but Mac/iOS programming, and moved over to TextMate, which is a great text editor that's a bit like emacs for the OS X gui. It's very customizable, so I spent some time this weekend building an Atari bundle and packaging that in with some VCS-specific build tools. The result is much easier, leaner, and more automated than it ever was in Xcode.

You can read more and download the installer here. Hope it'll be useful to some of you. Let me know if you have any problems, suggestions, etc.

Edited by ibogost

I finally updated this for OS X 10.5 "Leopard." So now there are versions for both Leopard and Tiger.

I also want to make a Batari Basic version for Xcode, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Hello there, just wanted to say that a version of Batari Basic for XCode will be a delight! Thanks in advance for this! :thumbsup: