IGNORED

In depth Look - RCA Studio II AKA: The "Real" Worst Console Ever

I can Name 2 Consoles Worst than RCA Studio II

[Cough]XBOX and XBOX 360[/Cough]

That's crazy; you cough up xbox machines. You're like one of those miracle people who cries glass.

On another note, what are the two systems worse than the Studio 2?

Sorry If I do that then people will call me a Hater, But I can give you some Clues.

1.the 2 consoles Are from the Same Company

2.Their the Only 2 Consoles they ever Made

3.one of them in a Curent Gen Console.

You shouldn't be allowed to even post here.

Well, I think that the Channel F is a fantastic game machine. I fully credit it as being the first modern game console, It really wasn't all that underpowered either. If Fairchild hadn't gone under they might have stuck around. Some of the games are very good.

The Fairchild wasn't particularly underpowered, but the color selection was hideous. To be sure, it took a while for programmers to find the good colors on the 2600, but from a hardware perspective they were there from the get-go.

Great ads, FND! (yes, I still have to send you the scans of the APF instructions. I haven't forgotten. ;) )

One thing we're overlooking about the RCA Studio II was that a radiation sheilded version of the COSMAC chip was used in the Voyager spacecraft. (Source Here.)

Forgive me for reusing my own material, but immediately after playing the Moonship Battle game I could understand anyone's desire to launch this console into space. (cue rimshot)

Sorry If I do that then people will call me a Hater, But I can give you some Clues.

You seem to be confused. The Gamepark machines are actually quite good. Sure they're not Gameboys or DSs, but they're pretty solid.

I mean, unless I'm missing something here. The only other thing I can think of that would fit that description is the Xbox line, and only a total moron would claim they're worse than the Studio 2. You seem reasonably intelligent, so I can't see you thinking that. That is, unless the constant agonizing pain from coughing them up has somehow soured your opinion.

After doing a little more searching I found a article with a picture of what may be part of the

Dealer Demo/Kiosk as mentioned earlier (could this be the same mon and pop store?), the

picture shows a large fold binder type book with pictures and descriptions. Article from 9-06-77

Also just a thought, there was the RCA Recording Studio that was commonly refered to as the RCA STUDIO

maybe this had something to do with naming it RCA STUDIO II ?

rcakiosk09-06-77.jpg

Edited by FND

Great ads, FND! (yes, I still have to send you the scans of the APF instructions. I haven't forgotten. ;) )

Cool, Thanks I nearly forgot myself, I see I still have empty spots in my data base for the scans.

Hopefully someday I can get that system added to my web pages, to much to do and not enough time.

After doing a little more searching I found a article with a picture of what may be part of the

Dealer Demo/Kiosk as mentioned earlier (could this be the same mon and pop store?), the

picture shows a large fold binder type book with pictures and descriptions. Article from 9-06-77

Also just a thought, there was the RCA Recording Studio that was commonly refered to as the RCA STUDIO

rcakiosk09-06-77.jpg

Geez, those old newspapers were littered with ads.

I can Name 2 Consoles Worst than RCA Studio II

[Cough]XBOX and XBOX 360[/Cough]

Just because they're from Microsoft doesn't make them bad consoles. Have you ever even PLAYED the Studio II? It's horrible. I will have to say that I half-agree with you on the Xbox 360, though. The build quality is extremely shoddy and I am disgusted that Microsoft hasn't fully fixed the problems with it.

rcakiosk09-06-77.jpg

Ooh! I would love to have that thing.

y-bot

quite possibly crippled by marketing or budgeting, judging by the color/b&w thing.

A web site I found a while back that had info on the Studio II said they used some sort of P-code interpreter for the games, and that there was evidence of color support in the P-code. They just didn't put the color chip into the console. Also, there apparently was at least one Studio II clone which did have a color chip.

quite possibly crippled by marketing or budgeting, judging by the color/b&w thing.

A web site I found a while back that had info on the Studio II said they used some sort of P-code interpreter for the games, and that there was evidence of color support in the P-code. They just didn't put the color chip into the console. Also, there apparently was at least one Studio II clone which did have a color chip.

Hmm.. I guess that was inevitable. If the system had succeeded, there would probably have been a boatload of color-capable clones dumped on the market to make RCA's own unit obsolete.

You seem to be confused. The Gamepark machines are actually quite good. Sure they're not Gameboys or DSs, but they're pretty solid.

I mean, unless I'm missing something here. The only other thing I can think of that would fit that description is the Xbox line, and only a total moron would claim they're worse than the Studio 2. You seem reasonably intelligent, so I can't see you thinking that. That is, unless the constant agonizing pain from coughing them up has somehow soured your opinion.

Well No one would unless hate the Company that makes the Xbox Line as a Whole.

Amazing that, at that time, you couldn't buy systems from department stores, only from electronics stores like music stores and TV stores. I can see why they had 3/4th-page ads or huge write-ups: otherwise, unless you were in the market for a record player or a TV, you'd never even know that the Studio II existed...which, given how bad the system is, might be a good thing, now that I'm thinking about it.

I mean..."Biorhythms"? "Patterns"? Oh wow, now the TV looks like an oscilloscope, woot! Heck, even the "Math" screen looks hard to understand. ...besides, portable calculators weren't that expensive then. Bulky, yes; used their own power cords, sure. But not as expensive as a Studio II.

On another note, sad to see that there were people looking to censor TV back in '77. Sheesh, was Starsky and Hutch really that racy in those days? :roll:

I have a really neat programming cart for the Studio II that was only sold through the Studio II users club. I've never been able to use it because I think it requires modding the system (I have the instructions for how to do that though). I should dig it out sometime and look at it again.

Tempest

I have a really neat programming cart for the Studio II that was only sold through the Studio II users club. I've never been able to use it because I think it requires modding the system (I have the instructions for how to do that though). I should dig it out sometime and look at it again.

Tempest

Can you like take some pics and make some scans? I can't find any evidence of this ever existing!

Thanks in advance!

Amazing that, at that time, you couldn't buy systems from department stores, only from electronics stores like music stores and TV stores. I can see why they had 3/4th-page ads or huge write-ups: otherwise, unless you were in the market for a record player or a TV, you'd never even know that the Studio II existed...which, given how bad the system is, might be a good thing, now that I'm thinking about it.

We got our Studio II at the Gibson's Discount Center. (Gibson's was a sort of big box store before K-Mart and Wal-Mart)

Just because they're from Microsoft doesn't make them bad consoles.

Uh yes because they are from Microsoft, that does make them the Worst Consoles Ever.

Do you even have any idea what you're talking about? Download the emulator and tell me the Studio II isn't the worst game system ever. Why exactly don't you like the Xbox and Xbox 360, anyways? Is it because they're from a company who single handedly took over the software market and forced people to buy expensive, shoddily built crap? Look, can we just end this argument to keep from getting into a flame war?

Here is a link to a Nice web site about the Studio II

Click Here

Edit

Well I see while I was composing this link the emulator link was posted in the previous message

It includes an emulator and some programing tools along with some Cart Dumping instructions and programs

Also has some games by Paul Robson

Combat

Space Invaders

Hockey

Edited by FND