IGNORED

Bee Ball - 2600

LS_Dracon

rheffera, see this video, BeeBall Video

Maybe this help you to play better.

Don't often see programmers that are also talented graphic artists.

My weak point is sound programming :(

Wow, this game is great! The A.I. is simply amazing, especially for a 4K game. If I didn't know better, I'd think that I was playing against a real person.

Tnx MagMax

I made a quick update, fixing the screen freeze. In machover, the screen pause for few seconds, and return to title screen.

Edited by LS_Dracon

You drew that - wow - that's even more impressive! Don't often see programmers that are also talented graphic artists.

I agree - very nice work! I kind of figured you had a background in art, since the sprites were so nicely designed. There's some very nice subtle motion going on with them, too. :thumbsup:

agree - very nice work! I kind of figured you had a background in art, since the sprites were so nicely designed. There's some very nice subtle motion going on with them, too.

Tnx Nathan, in hand draw you're a great artist, my labels for elevator amiss contest are too bad close to your.

Yes, have a bit of art in this game. In the game screen, the blue at sky contrast with bee yellow, and the top green contrast with redish at bottom. The screen looks equal and not over satured.

This trick I learn studing painting methods, but I'm not a professional artist.

Nathan, can you help me?

Do you have a flash cart? Please, can you test this game in real hardware?

Edited by LS_Dracon

Just checked it out - it plays great on real hardware! The screen "jumps" a little when returning to the title screen after the end of a game, but maybe that's normal (it's not bothersome).

A scoring suggestion: How about an option using side-out scoring? (This is where you have to earn the serve, before being able to score a point.) Not as the default, but an additional variation? RealSports Volleyball has this, and it might make for a nice extra (although neither actual volleyball nor badminton use this sort of scoring anymore).

It'll be great when you get some sound in there. "Flight of the Bumblebee" (if possible on the 2600) would be an excellent choice for background music. There are some really talented music programmers around for the 2600, that I'm sure would be glad to answer questions or help out.

Sound-effects-wise, there's a binary called Mark's Sound, which I can't find any good information about, that produces some great sounds on the 2600. If that could be figured out, it might make for a useful development tool.

Hi!

I loaded the game into an unmodded supercharger an tested it on real hardware. (it was pure chance or you programmed it to be supercharger compatible?). The colors are all messed up because I'm using a PAL vcs (I'm in Italy), but the game is playable and very fun. Do you plan to add a PAL (or PAL60) version? I noticed a small graphic glitch on real hardware: the ball is black in the upper part of the screen (where the bee judge is). Here you can see some screenshots:

beeballrq3.th.gif

The first line is from real PAL atari 2600 (sorry for the bad quality), the second from z26 with PAL palette.

While it plays fine on Stella, PCAE and Z26 (latest versions), I found the same glitch displayed by no$2k6. (it has problems with the stroke movement not present on real hardware, though).

I hope this helps.

Keep up the good work! :)

Just checked it out - it plays great on real hardware! The screen "jumps" a little when returning to the title screen after the end of a game, but maybe that's normal (it's not bothersome).

Cool. I figure some bugs pressing button. About screen jump I'll try to find this bug....

A scoring suggestion: How about an option using side-out scoring?

This is possible, I'll add this.

It'll be great when you get some sound in there. "Flight of the Bumblebee" (if possible on the 2600) would be an excellent choice for background music. There are some really talented music programmers around for the 2600, that I'm sure would be glad to answer questions or help out.

I wondering, but isn't doable now. I have 150 free bytes!!!! This means 3 seconds of music! hehehe and no more space for sound fx :(

For sure, there are talentous musicians here, I like so much a VCS game with bg music, this looks surreal :P Sadly, artificial inteligence took much rom space.

Sound-effects-wise, there's a binary called Mark's Sound, which I can't find any good information about, that produces some great sounds on the 2600. If that could be figured out, it might make for a useful development tool.

Thank you very mutch Nathan. :)

Hi!

I loaded the game into an unmodded supercharger an tested it on real hardware. (it was pure chance or you programmed it to be supercharger compatible?). The colors are all messed up because I'm using a PAL vcs (I'm in Italy), but the game is playable and very fun. Do you plan to add a PAL (or PAL60) version? I noticed a small graphic glitch on real hardware: the ball is black in the upper part of the screen (where the bee judge is).

Tnx Alex_79.

Yes, I have plans for a PAL version, and I'll need help for this, can you be a PAL-betatester? This game run in supercharger by luck hehehe.

I'm coding this game thinking in PAL version too.

And thanks to advice this bug, I'll try fix it.

Edited by LS_Dracon

Yes, I have plans for a PAL version, and I'll need help for this, can you be a PAL-betatester? This game run in supercharger by luck hehehe.

I can test the game as long as it's compatible with unmodded Starpath Supercharger. I don't have a flashcart nor I can burn eproms, so the supercharger is the only way I can load a rom in real hardware. :)

What about moving to an 8k ROM?

It's my first game, and is a "simple" game too, 4kb is a kind of challenge.

I can test the game as long as it's compatible with unmodded Starpath Supercharger. I don't have a flashcart nor I can burn eproms, so the supercharger is the only way I can load a rom in real hardware.

Ok Alex.

This is a common 4kb format, will work fine like others common 4kb games.

Here the first PAL version, is a quick update, I'll work better in this format later.

Changed screen size to PAL format and colors too.

The speed are the same to ntsc, so this game run a bit slow, I'll change it later. And I hope the black ball bug has been fixed.

Can you test and take a snapshot please? I want see if I choose correct pal colors, in emulators (z26 and stella) are diferent.

Tnx.

post-10940-1193353184_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS_Dracon

This is a common 4kb format, will work fine like others common 4kb games.

Not all 4k roms run on a supercharger: some try to access memory addresses used by supercharger to trigger bankswitching, crashing the game.

Here the first PAL version, is a quick update, I'll work better in this format later.

Changed screen size to PAL format and colors too.

The speed are the same to ntsc, so this game run a bit slow, I'll change it later. And I hope the black ball bug has been fixed.

Can you test and take a snapshot please? I want see if I choose correct pal colors, in emulators (z26 and stella) are diferent.

Tnx.

The ball color is still different in the upper zone of the screen, but now it's grey, and it's way less noticeable.

I found that the display is "unstable" on the PAL version: the screen seems to "jump" 1 line up and down periodically. This doesn't happen in the title screen.

This time I used a different video capture card and I got better screenshots. I also took a pic of the TV screen with a digital camera for comparison. The colors look nice to me. :)

01dc0.th.jpg 02zx4.th.jpg

03hf8.th.jpg 04zr4.th.jpg

05ve7.th.jpg

Thank you very mutch Alex!

You help me alot :)

The colors looks better than emulators. I'll keep this. :)

The ball is strage, becouse its has same net color value, and net looks white...

Btw I send a wrong screen information, maybe is the reason.

I've fixed the PAL screen information, sending correct values to "vblank and overscan", these change the screen format in vcs.

Here's the new version (Added basic sounds too, but nevermind this for now :P)

Edited by LS_Dracon

Another suggestion for gameplay. If the player fails to touch the ball when it's served to them by the judge, just have them lose their serve instead of losing the serve and giving the opponent a free point? :) Perhaps put that in as a difficult-switch option. A (hard) being the way it is now, B being where you can afford losing your serve without losing the game. :)

I suppose the better way to word it would be, you can only get a point if you you had the serve.

Yeah, I've lost too many 9/10 matches from that. :ponder:

rheffera, test this version, becouse I wrote new codes, not only update the olds.

Mord, maybe i'll add this feature.

People, new version.

-Sound FX added.

-Bugs fixes

-Codes optimized.

New sounds in Stroke, headbutt, score point, and "bee buzz" if bee move too fast.

Lack sound in title screen and in bee judge.

The PAL version has only bug fixes and optimizations.

Enjoy

Edited by LS_Dracon

The PAL version has only bug fixes and optimizations.

Did you split the PAL source into a separate file? It's easier to use IF ELSE ENDIF and set the value of COMPILE_VERSION based on which one you wish to build:

NTSC			= 0
PAL			 = 1
COMPILE_VERSION = NTSC
DEBUG = 0; set to 1 for debug info in score and to flash screen if fireball
	 ; skipped due to lack of time for collision processing
	 ; note - 2 extra scan lines will occur when debug mode is on
	 ; to prep the displaying of the time remaining values

IF COMPILE_VERSION = NTSC
ShieldColor1 = $62; Purple
ShieldColor2 = $c8; Green
ShieldColor3 = $44; Red
ShieldColor4 = $86; Blue
WallColor0 = $22
WallColor1 = $24
WallColor2 = $26
WallColor3 = $28
WallColor4 = $2a
WallColor5 = $2c
MenuColor  = $B8; Teal
ValueColor = $68; Purple
SlctMenuColor = $FE; Yellow
SlctBackground = $04; Grey
WingColor	  = $1c; Gold
BodyColor	  = $42; Red
OVERSCAN_DELAY = $1b
FIREBALL_DELAY = 70; 75 second delay for launch of extra fireball
			   ; (delay * 60) / 64
ATTRACT_DELAY = 19; 20 second delay for going into Attract Mode
ELSE
ShieldColor1 = $a2; Purple
ShieldColor2 = $58; Green
ShieldColor3 = $64; Red
ShieldColor4 = $d6; Blue
WallColor0 = $42
WallColor1 = $44
WallColor2 = $46
WallColor3 = $48
WallColor4 = $4a
WallColor5 = $4c
MenuColor  = $78; Teal
ValueColor = $C8; Purple
SlctMenuColor = $2E; Yellow
SlctBackground = $04; Grey
WingColor	  = $2C; Gold
BodyColor	  = $62; Red
OVERSCAN_DELAY = $57
FIREBALL_DELAY = 59; 75 second delay for launch of extra fireball
			   ; (delay * 50) / 64
ATTRACT_DELAY = 16 ; 20 second delay for going into Attract Mode
ENDIF

That one. :D

Or at least parts of it. You wouldn't need the whole thing, just a loop of the main theme.

Like this.

It'd have to be tweaked some, to loop properly. And you could use only the melody part, and leave the other audio channel for sound effects.

And this part would make a good tune for the title screen (or starting a game).

As it is, the new sound effects are coming along nicely. The only thing missing is a buzzing/hovering sound for the bees. With that in place, you wouldn't really need music.

A bug I've seen prop up in 5.7. Occationally the CPU will seem to get caught up in a defend position (the racket positioned vertically) you'll hear the ball bouncing sound repeatedly.

In the two instances I've seen it happen so far either:

1. The bee got stuck bouncing the ball directly on his head (As shown in the picture)

or

2. The racket got completely separated from the bee! It would stay close to the net and move up and down with the bee, but the bee would be moving to try to catch the ball... and failing obviously.

I made sure to get a few cheap points in. :D

It corrected itself, in the case of the separated racket, when the bee attempted to spike the ball. In case #1 tho, it won't try to spike the ball because it won't get into the right position. It's been bouncing it's ball the entire time I was writing this note so...

post-4460-1193609100_thumb.png

Cybergoth, it was impressive!

Did you split the PAL source into a separate file? It's easier to use IF ELSE ENDIF and set the value of COMPILE_VERSION based on which one you wish to build:

Tnx SpiceWare, I'll try use this.

Nathan, the title screen part is a good idea! Look the midis I've found, classic and "jazz" version.

And Mord, I'll check this. I figure is a jmp error. Tnx for advice.

BumbleBee.zip

I have Tested 5.5 PAL version on 2600 PAL Jnr.

it works! i like the colours.

I have noticed some glitches(?) in the PAL version:

- Sometimes the computer bee does NOT catch the ball when it is its turn to serve.

- Sometimes the computer bee does NOT serve the ball correctly (it bounces it like normal, but misses when it goes to swing to hit it)

- Sometimes the computer bee doesn't move to go after the ball when i hit the ball back to it, from roughly the top left side of net.

i think the AI is challenging when it does not suffer from the above problems. i think it needs work in regards to serving / retuning the ball, at least in the PAL version anyways.

BeeBall is fun but i feel it could use something "more".

Perhaps powerups appear onscreen and they are activated by a flying ball when they pass through them. The powerup would go to the bee that had hit the ball. Another usage of powerups could be a powerup is collected by hitting a ball into it but cant be used straight away, depending on the powerup.

For example. A insect Spray canister icon appears randomly on screen (roughly 1/2 size of the ball). I hit the ball through it towards my opponents side. The insect spray can makes my bee angry, thus increasing my speed for a few seconds.

If the AI bee hit the can, it would speed up.

Not all powerups would be good. There could be one that slows you down slightly or makes gravity work on the BEE, and not just the ball.

I have a few more ideas so let me know if you want to hear em, LS-Dracon

Edited by rheffera

This looks very cool, I need to give it a try!!

..Al

Tnx Albert. I hope you enjoy.

Took me a while and I got sidetracked by lots of other stuff, but I finally played the latest binary! I have to thank Nathan Strum for reminding me!

Wow, what a great game you've put together! The AI is wonderful, unlike the AI in most 2600 games. :) The game is simple in concept, but take some practice handling the ball and especially slamming it over the net. That's the magic of the best 2600 games--simple to learn, but hard to master! The icing on the cake is the attention paid to the graphics. The judge looking left and right, and especially the graphics of the bees themselves as they move about. Even the background graphics and scores are look great. And I like the sound effects--the buzzing when you fly across the court, the sound of the ball hitting your antenna, all very well done. Impressive for a 4K game. :)

I'll be following future updates more closely now!

..Al

BeeBall is fun but i feel it could use something "more".

Perhaps powerups appear onscreen and they are activated by a flying ball when they pass through them.

I have to disagree... what I like about the game is its simplicity. I'm not a fan of putting powerups in a game, unless they fit the theme. Powerups just appearing in a forest where a couple of bees have set up a net and are playing with a ball just doesn't make sense. ;)

That said, I think more could be added to the game through some options, such as side-out scoring, an option to turn head-butting off (for those looking for more challenge), and so on. Some other possible game variations might be:

• Rubber floors - you don't score by hitting their floor, you only score by bouncing a shot off their floor, and having it go offscreen
  • Rubber walls - the ball bounces off the edge of the screen, and you score only when the ball goes off the bottom edge
  • Momentum - the ball hits the opponent with enough force to push him in the opposite direction
  • Overshoot scoring - the only way to score is to get the ball all the way off the other side of their screen, without hitting the floor first. However, this might be too easy, unless you also had an option for:
  • Two hit limit - limit each bee to only being able to hit the ball twice before having to send it over the net

As it is, the game plays great, and I wouldn't change a thing. But having some more variations, or some options accessed through the difficulty switches would be a nice extra.

Nathan, the title screen part is a good idea! Look the midis I've found, classic and "jazz" version.

Definitely the jazz version. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nathan Strum

THose are good ideas too spice. As for powerups fitting the theme, perhaps a human wanderd into the forest and found two oversized bees playing tennis with a rock. Human whips out his bug spray and makes thee bees angry.

LOL

the jazz midi music sounds nice.

Edited by rheffera