IGNORED

How to use a nes controller in your atari

Atari freak 1

OR this for $0.25 at your local Goodwill.

sega-master-pad.jpg

I hate the SMS controller! The pad doesn't feel right and it's entirely too sensitive. Don't get me wrong, I love the SMS as a gaming system, just hate the controller. I generally use a Genesis pad for SMS or, in a pinch, a SMS "Control Stick". However, to get back on topic, I have found that the srew-on stick for the SMS pad works great to replace the thumb-stick that came with 7800 pads. It makes the things almost useable. If you've got to go with a pad, I'd reccommend giving it a try.

Well, if you are an idiot like me, all that soldering and cracking things open and screwing around with the innards can EASILY go awry. Best to let the pros do it up right, get a nice 7 foot cord, have it customized just for me and not have to worry about destroying some old hardware in the process.

Did you use the mod I posted ?

Yes, I used the mod you posted.

It took me forever because

A: I suck at soldering

B: I had the biggest, clunkiest soldering gun ever!

C: I had no solder, I used the solder on the controller.

And for the record stan, I used a broken joystick and nes

controllers are everywhere. (I personally have 5 or so and a couple light guns)

I've found that some of my friends who never played atari much when they were younger prefer the Sega controllers to the Atari joysticks. It's a good thing to keep a couple around in case company shows up.

They seem less intimidated using that then original joystick -- even though I truly prefer the joystick.

I have been using two converted NES controllers since I got them in 1996. I never use anything else except my Atari brand 7800 pads.

There you go, there is an excellent Atari alternative for them evil NES pads 8)

I wouldn't call them "7800 pads" btw, they were sold with the 2600 Jr in Europe and Australia.

Cheers,

Marco

Your guess is as good as mine, but I think it may have been about looks. Atari possibly just wanted a more slick and modern type of joystick to go with the 2600 Jr. At first, they sold Juniors with the old style joysticks and it's just an odd combination.

Cheers,

Marco