IGNORED

Easy(iest)-to-use File Copier?

Larry

I'm trying to get organized... and I have a problem -- many, many, many disorganized files sitting mainly on my hard drive in various partitions. Wow, would I love to be able to use a mouse to move these babies around, but that isn't going to happen until we get an accelerator, is it?

What are some suggestions for an easy-to-use file copier that can do *double density* transfers and will allow me to avoid some of this typing in of file names. Written in listable BASIC would be great, since I will probably need to modify it to work better with my particular needs. Any thoughts?

-Larry

Hello Larry,

most File-Copiers I kept over the years are written in Assembler (or ML-Language). Many of them can read/write Double Density, as long as the DOS they are loaded from can do this also. Some of these ML versions do also support Subdirs...

Now you are searching for a Filecopier in Basic. Well, the only programs that come to mind (at the moment) can be found in Antic or Analog afaik. One is called "Filecopy.Bas", while the other is named "Polycopy.Bas". Not quite sure if these fit your needs, but if you cannot find them online, write me an e-mail and I will send you a copy... andiko at web point de

-greetings, Andreas Koch (once known as Andreas Magenheimer, but now married).

I'm trying to get organized... and I have a problem -- many, many, many disorganized files sitting mainly on my hard drive in various partitions. Wow, would I love to be able to use a mouse to move these babies around, but that isn't going to happen until we get an accelerator, is it?

What are some suggestions for an easy-to-use file copier that can do *double density* transfers and will allow me to avoid some of this typing in of file names. Written in listable BASIC would be great, since I will probably need to modify it to work better with my particular needs. Any thoughts?

-Larry

Hi Larry!

My favotite is Brian Schappel's B-Copy but it is ML.I use it with SpartaDos.

Here is the web page: http://www.rts-software.com/8bit/bcopy.asp

He says he will U/L the source code later,maybe an E-mail might help.

You might recognize him ftom A.N.A.L.O.G. He is the author of TEDIT (the smallest and

most useful text editor that I have ever found!)

All the best and it is good to hear from you!

Well,

there are dozens of DOS versions that can read+write Double Density... just some examples:

- DOS 2.0D, Smart DOS, Top DOS, Bibo-DOS, Turbo DOS, Mach-DOS, DOS-XF, X-DOS, DOS II+D, Super-DOS, Bewe-DOS, Real-DOS, Sparta-DOS, Sparta-DOS X, My-DOS and others...

Since most Filecopiers must run from a DOS, running them under one of these DOS versions will give them the ability to read+write DD. And of course there are already many Filecopiers available, just some examples:

- Filecopy (by N.Hagemann from german Computer kontakt magazine), Multi-Filecopy (from german Happy Computer magazine), Multi-Filecopy II (from german Compyshop magazine, also supplied with Bibo-DOS), Filecopy 2 (supplied with Turbo-DOS), Menu.COM (different versions for Bewe, Sparta and Real-DOS), The Browser (Tom Hunt), ACopy 1.x, DOS Control, Toms Copy, Professionel Copy, Tight Copy, Best-Copy, B-Copy (from Analog magazine) and many many others...

For those that are interested, I attached some filecopy programs here. Please note, that some of these filecopiers are very DOS dependant (they will only run under one certain DOS)... -Andreas Koch.

P.S.: Will post Filecopy.BAS and Polycopy.BAS when I find them again...

Well,

there are dozens of DOS versions that can read+write Double Density... just some examples:

- DOS 2.0D, Smart DOS, Top DOS, Bibo-DOS, Turbo DOS, Mach-DOS, DOS-XF, X-DOS, DOS II+D, Super-DOS, Bewe-DOS, Real-DOS, Sparta-DOS, Sparta-DOS X, My-DOS and others...

(snip...)

For those that are interested, I attached some filecopy programs here. Please note, that some of these filecopiers are very DOS dependant (they will only run under one certain DOS)... -Andreas Koch.

P.S.: Will post Filecopy.BAS and Polycopy.BAS when I find them again...

Hi Andreas-

Thanks for the reply and posting the images. I'm very impressed with "Dos Control" although since it runs under a command line dos, it isn't going to work on a MyDos hard drive with subdirectories. But something that "automates" the file selection process like it does is what I'm looking for. If you run across the German Filecopy program, I'd be very interested in checking it out. I will go back and take another look at BCOPY, but IIRC, it didn't work under a DD setup.

Lots of file copiers really were only written for floppy drives, and many more only for single density, and still more as you mention are very dos-dependent. I hope that I get lucky and find one that meets my MyDos needs, but I'm still betting that I'll need to modify something, so BASIC or Action! are the only reasonable choices for me.

-Larry

(snip...)

Hi Andreas-

A quick update -- "Tom's Navigator" looks like it will do the job nicely, supporting MyDos 4.5 and its subdirectories. The Tom's Navigator text file is pretty vague, though as to how to use it. I certainly can figure most of it out, but would anyone have a real doc file (in English or German)? This is the only file of the group that looks usable, and I am very grateful to receive it!

Thanks,

-Larry

Yeah,

Toms Navigator rocks. Be aware that TN 1.0 ONLY works reliable with MyDOS 4.50.

You can use it as a DUP.SYS replacement, just rename DUP.SYS to ie. MYDUP.SYS and

TN.com to DUP.SYS .

There has been a new version of Toms Navigator come out last year, V1.21 and 1.22.

you can get it here.

The difference is, that V1.21 works reliably only with the Action!-Cartridge inserted.

If you program in Action!, this may come in handy, otherwise, use 1.22.

This works with other Versions of MyDOS, as well.

Greetings,

Beetle

Edited by Beetle

Well,

for MyDOS I prefer Prof. Copy 2.x by FOX/Taquart. Have not tested it with Subdirs yet, but if you do own extra RAM (alas it req. 128k RAM minimum), it is the fastest File-Copy I have seen so far - even without any speeders or enhancements in your floppy it is still very fast. But as said before, I have not tried it with Harddisks nor subdirs yet...

The (ML) Filecopy program by Computer Kontakt magazine is a very old one. It runs fine under almost any DOS 2.x version (since I rarely use Sparta, I cannot comment about compatibility). But it has only three functions via the Start, Select and Option keys. There is no delete, rename, or something like reading a Subdir... and afaik this program is Reset-proof (as long as you don`t have an alternative OS or enhamcement in your computer, you have to power-off, to leave this program). Thats why I never liked this program very much...

Besides, when reading and copying files I always want to know some additional info, like filelength of copied file in sectors (or bytes), free sectors or bytes of the destination disk, etc. Prof. Copy 2.x gives you all this information, many other file-copy programs don`t (so you have to guess if there is enough free space on the destination disk or wait until Error 162 appears)...

Still searching for the two mentioned *.BAS file-copiers... -Andreas Koch.

Yeah,

Toms Navigator rocks. Be aware that TN 1.0 ONLY works reliable with MyDOS 4.50.

You can use it as a DUP.SYS replacement, just rename DUP.SYS to ie. MYDUP.SYS and

TN.com to DUP.SYS .

There has been a new version of Toms Navigator come out last year, V1.21 and 1.22.

you can get it here.

The difference is, that V1.21 works reliably only with the Action!-Cartridge inserted.

If you program in Action!, this may come in handy, otherwise, use 1.22.

This works with other Versions of MyDOS, as well.

Greetings,

Beetle

Hi Beetle & Andreas-

Thanks Beetle, for the update link. Wow! Support for D5-D7 + D9. You're absolutely right -- this absolutely rocks! And easier to change drive numbers! I've figured out quite a few of the features in Toms', and this sure is way better than using MyDos to copy files (typing, typing, typing...)

Andreas, I'll go back and re-check the Professional Copy, but a quick check looked like it would not work with subs. That's just a must for my needs since I'm moving files from 30 or so subs on my hard drive to subs on 720KB images. So far I've removed about 15,000 sectors of file-clutter from the HD.

-Larry